Why I find Slash incredibly frustrating as a solo artist.

Towelie

This song right here is why I find Slash to be incredibly frustrating as a solo artist.

I consider this to be one of the best songs he's ever written, killer solos, breathtakingly haunting bridge section and a very poignant message in the lyrics. And yet this gem sits alongside utter tripe like Iris of The Storm, Dirty Girl, Avalon and Too Far Gone.

The man lacks quality control. No album needs 17 songs. No album with 12+ songs has ever been free of filler and a song like Beneath The Savage Sun should be the measure by which he judges his own material, instead of diluting the great tunes with masses of throwaway, meaningless filler tracks.

Imagine if he'd only put out one album with Myles and The Conspirators and used the best cuts from Apocalyptic Love and World On Fire to put together a tight, kick-ass 10 track rock album. Something along these lines:

1. Beneath The Savage Sun

2. You're A Lie

3. Wicked Stone

4. No More Heroes

5. Anastasia

6. Not For Me

7. Shots Fired

8. Battleground

9. 30 Years To Life

10. The Unholy

^^ This would be one of the best rock albums from the last 5 years.

To me, I would respect Slash so much more and be far more excited for his album releases - even if they were only once every 4 years - if he took a bit more time over his albums and only put out the cream of the crop, instead of filling up every disc to maximum capacity and boring us to tears with so much unnecessary filler.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

Too Far Gone has a cool riff, solo, and breakdown.

I do like parts of it, but the lyrics are so bland they annoy me.

What i find incredibly frustrating about Slashes solo work is the lack of a certain precocious ginger warbling over em. Sorry to state the obvious.

Do you not rate Slash's solo work at all, Len?

No Safari Inn?

I preferred Watch This.

Safari Inn is boring, although I've probably only listened to it twice through.

I am one of the few that really likes his solo work. I don't think I'd want him to condense things because I'd miss a lot of songs I'd like.

I really like his solo work too. I would always buy his albums, because there is usually a good 4-5 tracks which are brilliant, but it's usually sandwiched between material ranging from mediocre-good.

But after being in one of the best rock bands of all time, good is not good enough. Aim for great. Anastasia is great. Beneath The Savage Sun and The Unholy are great. All songs like Dirty Girl and Bad Rain do is bring down the overall quality of his output.

Edited by Towelie

I find it frustrating that he works with a singer who doesn't compliment his guitar tone. Myles fits better with Alter Bridge / Tremonti. I think his talent is wasted with Myles as a singer. Also, I always liked Slash better as a band member than a solo artist, so I hope he finds or starts a band again.

I like the Slash album, most of the snakepit and some stuff of VR ... after that, only anastacia and a couple of songs ... the last albums sound too generic to me ... this can reveal some frustration from the artist, I don't know ... but something's missing ... It's easy to criticize Myles because of is dying cat voice ... but looks like there's something else ...

In the other night I was watching the livestream and it was nice to see it, but I was really disappointed with Slash's job when he was playing SCOM ... man ... SCOM?!

I just hate that Myles' high-pitched yodeling. Everything else is cool. Slash's work ethic: cool. His band: cool. Myles: cool (sans the yodeling). Songs: cool, cool, cool.

I don't like everything he does, but I appreciate the fact that he is creating and playing his ass off.

You're A Lie and Shots Fired? I don't think so. And Too Far Gone has a cool riff, solo, and breakdown.

This. Can't believe he added You're A Lie to his list. It is a garbage song.

To me, I would respect Slash so much more and be far more excited for his album releases - even if they were only once every 4 years - if he took a bit more time over his albums and only put out the cream of the crop, instead of filling up every disc to maximum capacity and boring us to tears with so much unnecessary filler.

Since when you're forced to listen to an entire album when you just want to listen to a particular song or two? Make a Slash's best of list yourself and listen to the songs you really like, and act like the others do not exist.

I don't like You're A Lie, I never listen to the song and always skip it. The end. Problem solved.

What i find incredibly frustrating about Slashes solo work is the lack of a certain precocious ginger warbling over em. Sorry to state the obvious.

But have you heard him lately? he's clearly no longer the answer to anything.

Indeed. No reason for Slash to ridicule himself by playing with that person.

• Like 3

Since when you're forced to listen to an entire album when you just want to listen to a particular song or two? Make a Slash's best of list yourself and listen to the songs you really like, and act like the others do not exist.

I don't like You're A Lie, I never listen to the song and always skip it. The end. Problem solved.

For nearly all of my favorite bands, I don't listen to like...75% of their stuff. I only 'count' the good. The bad, you just ignore it.

Take the Rolling Stones. They've released like what, a dozen or so albums? I like maybe...8 of their songs. But I really, really like those songs. And so, they are one of my favorite bands.

• Like 1

The thing I find frustrating about him is that it seems like he has no real desire to ever push outside of his comfort zone. Every once in a while he puts out a killer song like the one Towelie posted, but more often than not he just writes the same sort of thing we've heard from him since Guns ended. But maybe I'm just spoiled from listening to prog-inclined bands for so long.

The thing I find frustrating about him is that it seems like he has no real desire to ever push outside of his comfort zone. Every once in a while he puts out a killer song like the one Towelie posted, but more often than not he just writes the same sort of thing we've heard from him since Guns ended. But maybe I'm just spoiled from listening to prog-inclined bands for so long.

It's partly that, I mean he's got his style and he's good at what he does. But if you expect Robert Fripp type progressions, he's not your guy.

• Like 1

Miles is in complete and full control of what he does, he hits every note he wants, he seems to be a great guy, a genuine nice guy, he is also a prolific songwriter and to the best of my knowledge he helps Slash a lot with the songwriting, like helping turning his riffs into actual songs

I think it is all cool

I also think that Slash would be much, MUCH better if he could have a rock n roll singer by his side, not a nice guy who can write songs and hit all the notes

• Like 3

I really don't see the problem, I find them amazing, they are releasing new music, I don't like all their songs, but there are some songs which are really good, the band conspirators is amazing, they are very talented and the tone and each sound is perfect.

And as I said before in terms of money, this is the perfect band for Slash, It would be amazing to have VR back, but in that they would sell the same amount of Arena's or Halls, but Duff and Matt would take a Higher percentage than Todd and Brent

• Like 1

You're A Lie and Shots Fired? I don't think so. And Too Far Gone has a cool riff, solo, and breakdown.

Like it or not, it's Slash's most popular solo song and the closest he's come to ever having a legitimate hit as a solo act. I also think it's a quality rock song.

Edited by Towelie

Like it or not, it's Slash's most popular solo song and the closest he's come to ever having a legitimate hit as a solo act. I also think it's a quality rock song.

Most popular song? Can you provide proof of that claim? Just curious how you determined that?

I never understood complaining about someone releasing too much music. Just because you don't like a lot of the other songs does not mean they are not good.

I guarantee you others will dislike some of the songs you listed on your imaginary album while loving others you think are just filler.

In fact you left off my two favorite Slash solo songs.

I would rather have Slash release more than less and let me cherry pick what I like.

One mans noise is another mans music........ :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 3

I am one of the few that really likes his solo work. I don't think I'd want him to condense things because I'd miss a lot of songs I'd like.

I really like his solo work too. I would always buy his albums, because there is usually a good 4-5 tracks which are brilliant, but it's usually sandwiched between material ranging from mediocre-good.

But after being in one of the best rock bands of all time, good is not good enough. Aim for great. Anastasia is great. Beneath The Savage Sun and The Unholy are great. All songs like Dirty Girl and Bad Rain do is bring down the overall quality of his output.

would you really call them brilliant though? Estranged is BRILLIANT, Mean Bone....not so much.

would you really call them brilliant though? Estranged is BRILLIANT, Mean Bone....not so much.

lol

Well, maybe brilliant is a stretch, but I genuinely think Beneath The Savage Sun and the other ones I mentioned above are great songs. Not Guns N Roses great, but he definitely has the odd flash of greatness in his solo work, albeit fleetingly.

Most popular song? Can you provide proof of that claim? Just curious how you determined that?

I never understood complaining about someone releasing too much music. Just because you don't like a lot of the other songs does not mean they are not good.

I guarantee you others will dislike some of the songs you listed on your imaginary album while loving others you think are just filler.

In fact you left off my two favorite Slash solo songs.

I would rather have Slash release more than less and let me cherry pick what I like.

One mans noise is another mans music........ :shrugs:

Best post so far in here...