Faith No More Bassist: Music Has Been Going Backwards Since Guns N' Roses Appeared

In a new interview, Faith No More bassistBill Gould has said that the music industry has been living in the past for nearly 40 years.

Speaking with KaaosTV (via Classic Rock), he said that the rise in popularity of Guns N' Roses in the late 1980s brought a retro movement in music that has seen the industry looking backwards rather than forwards:

"I kind of felt we got into this era when Guns N' Roses came in and everything went retro. We're still coming out of this retro thing.

"It has nothing to do with music sales or the business. It has to do with culture working in a forward direction. We went backwards for about 20 years - I'd like to see us go forward again."

He also discussed the future of stadium rock, which he noted is much harder to accomplish these days because of economics:

"It's hard today. To get to that size you need so much organization, logistics, corporate sponsorship and stuff.

"It's really an economic question. I don't think it's a cultural question."

However, his assessment of the situation wasn't totally pessimistic, and he believes that creativity will always flourish:

"There's always people that are going to have good ideas that will make people want to get together and do things - as humans, I think that's just how we're built."

What? No way. I would go as far as saying that their music pushed the envelope for what came next. Not, like, in a drastic way, but still.

Didn't Faith No More open for Guns back in the 90s? Strange to see their bassist making an absurd statement like that.

This guy was retro:

I get what he's saying though. I feel like Guns perfected a bunch of things that made it sound fresh enough and unique. It wasn't a step forward like Faith No More took, but it was an evolution of a sound that wasn't going to be the future, yet had it's place and positive effect imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Faith No More are a shit band.

Retro is not a bad thing. I mean, a lot of great bands were "retro" in that they relied more on their influences but still said something new with their retro music.

Guns were a retro band in that sense. New Guns are so retro as well. Nirvana also retro.

Radiohead was a retro pixies/rem/pink floyd thing with their first album, and then not retro at all.

Oasis the most retro of all.

Slash - a totally retro lead guitar player.

John Frusciante - a Hendrix follower, but not retro at all.

Edited by Rovim

What does the quality of the music they produce have to do with their bassist comments?

He apparently insulted GnR. So we MUST all now say that we've always hated Faith No More music.

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 2

This should bring out all the people who don't know any songs besides Epic to educate us on FNM and to bash them simply based on their GN'R comments. Before many of you were born they were chosen to open for GN'R(I was there and I doubt their inclusion on the Guns/Metallica tour was a record company decision) To each his own. I rather enjoy them. Angel Dust is a classic album and they are one of the few bands who still put on as good of a show as they did when I saw them almost 25 years ago.

• Like 1

I listened to one of their albums a few years ago and gave it a proper chance, several repeated listens. The singer sounds like Myles Kennedy doing his best RHCP impersonation. And the album, which was supposedly a classic, sounded really dated and not in a good way. So when I say FNM are a shit band, it has NOTHING to do with what their bassist thinks of GNR. I find these type of comments to be highly condescending and patronising, I mean, we're not twelve year old Justin Bieber fans getting our panties in a bunch because someone was mean to our favourite popstar.

Oh, and they also deserve a slap for butchering War Pigs.

What does the quality of the music they produce have to do with their bassist comments?

Because if they make shit music themselves they really have no authority to discuss the problem with other peoples.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

I listened to one of their albums a few years ago and gave it a proper chance, several repeated listens. The singer sounds like Myles Kennedy doing his best RHCP impersonation. And the album, which was supposedly a classic, sounded really dated and not in a good way. So when I say FNM are a shit band, it has NOTHING to do with what their bassist thinks of GNR. I find these type of comments to be highly condescending and patronising, I mean, we're not twelve year old Justin Bieber fans getting our panties in a bunch because someone was mean to our favourite popstar.

Oh, and they also deserve a slap for butchering War Pigs.

Because if they make shit music themselves they really have no authority to discuss the problem with other peoples.

Well, thats YOUR opinion, and i think its a stupid one. The popularity of Faith No More says otherwise. Its a really good band, and Patton has done more interesting things (with or without faith no more) then all the guys/bands you mention above. Faith no more is a GREAT band (one of the best). Thats MY and LOTS of other peoples opinion

He isn't really insulting Guns N' Roses FYI. That said, I have always and still consider Guns N' Roses a better, catchier and more charismatic band than Faith No More. Angel Dust and Epic are cool, but I never got why they got such a 'cult following'. Patton seems like a douche for deficating in Axl's orange juice.

• Like 1

This:

What music?

There are much more diferent music out there these days than in the 80's-90's

This is just another "i sound like an educated fool with a somewhat controversial opinion" article

And this:

He isn't really insulting Guns N' Roses FYI. That said, I have always and still consider Guns N' Roses a better, catchier and more charismatic band than Faith No More. Angel Dust and Epic are cool, but I never got why they got such a 'cult following'. Patton seems like a douche for deficating in Axl's orange juice.

But it is shit music to you, not like, to the world. And trust me, I don't like Faith No More, but I have a hard time trying to find a connection between their music and their opinions. The guy said some stupid shit, okay, why would I need to answer that by saying "fuck off, you suck, your music is shit!"? I don't get it, I'd rather try to explain why they're wrong. :shrugs:

• Like 1

Every time someone from Faith No More opens their mouth in an interview regarding other bands and the music industry, shit comes out. Fuck, they are such pretentious assholes. One would think they actually produced artistic and respectable music...

Every time someone from Faith No More opens their mouth in an interview regarding other bands and the music industry, shit comes out. Fuck, they are such pretentious assholes. One would think they actually produced artistic and respectable music...

Agreed. They often come across as envious of other bands when they make comments like this.

If Faith No More is "moving forward," I'd rather stay in the past.

• Like 2