Linkin Park

Słash

Their first album, Hybrid Theory, is great. I loved it when I was 14 and some 15 years later, I still love it. Rest of their stuff, not so much. They have a few good songs on their later albums though.

Chester Bennington is a great singer, I'm happy that he is in Stone Temple Pilots these days. After Weiland, he is the next best thing, IMO. Mike Shinoda is a good rapper, I like his flow.

• Like 1

Their first album, Hybrid Theory, is great. I loved it when I was 14 and some 15 years later, I still love it. Rest of their stuff, not so much. They have a few good songs on their later albums though.

Chester Bennington is a great singer, I'm happy that he is in Stone Temple Pilots these days. After Weiland, he is the next best thing, IMO. Mike Shinoda is a good rapper, I like his flow.

Chester is the best singer out there, I din't like his stuff that much with STP, but Hybrid theory and Meteora are amazing albums and Chester has done some amazing vocals on it, btw Shinoda has a side project called Fort Minor, he released a new song called Welcome under the Fort Minor name

There's something awfully disingenuous about these pre-packaged genre-melding bands. Seems very contrived and lazy and doesn't come off well and they appear to be the work of very lazy people that have a really superficial approach to making music and a very superficial understanding of the qualities of the given kinds of music that they are attempting to join together. They always appear to pick up on the broader, more obvious musical aspects and slapping them together kind of haphazardly, with very little regard for the subtle aspects that make each genre valuable. To where rock rap just becomes crap rhyming over big riffs. They often appear to latch onto the wrong thing, it's indicative of a lack of understanding of what they're playing with, to where it really does start to sound like playing, in the Sesame Street sense of the word.

There's something awfully disingenuous about these pre-packaged genre-melding bands. Seems very contrived and lazy and doesn't come off well and they appear to be the work of very lazy people that have a really superficial approach to making music and a very superficial understanding of the qualities of the given kinds of music that they are attempting to join together. They always appear to pick up on the broader, more obvious musical aspects and slapping them together kind of haphazardly, with very little regard for the subtle aspects that make each genre valuable. To where rock rap just becomes crap rhyming over big riffs. They often appear to latch onto the wrong thing, it's indicative of a lack of understanding of what they're playing with, to where it really does start to sound like playing, in the Sesame Street sense of the word.

So you haven't heard any of their records either Len? ;)

So you haven't heard any of their records either Len? ;)

I heard Hybrid Theory, under duress, when it came out, thought it was dreadful.

Seeing Len post in this thread is really weird. Linkin Park is so far from his ideals that I find it odd that the two can exist in the same universe.

As for the band, I appreciate them. Hybrid Theory is probably the best album to come out of that horrible era of nurock, but it's HORRIBLY overrated all the same. If you ask me their best album is A Thousand Suns.

Edited by bacardimayne

The entire thing is such a formula, begin softly, vaguely trip hop drumming, a little june spoon rhyming and it builds and builds then BANG, that awful buzzey guitar sound, three chords played in a really exaggerated fashion whilst some bloke who sounds like he needs a throat lozenge bangs out a chorus, repeat. And thats about it.

• Like 2

The entire thing is such a formula, begin softly, vaguely trip hop drumming, a little june spoon rhyming and it builds and builds then BANG, that awful buzzey guitar sound, three chords played in a really exaggerated fashion whilst some bloke who sounds like he needs a throat lozenge bangs out a chorus, repeat. And thats about it.

I thought you secretly go to see them at the Download Festival each year

You haven't heard them after their two first records, obviously. But that's ok. :)

You haven't heard them after their two first records, obviously. But that's ok. :)

Well i dont tend to go through entire discographies of bands that dont sound good after giving their album a try, I've no reason to :shrugs:

Well i dont tend to go through entire discographies of bands that dont sound good after giving their album a try, I've no reason to :shrugs:

Well, you can't say a band sounds like X if 2 out of 6 albums sounds like that, can you?

Well, you can't say a band sounds like X if 2 out of 6 albums sounds like that, can you?

I wasn't talking about the band, i was talking about the genre.

I wasn't talking about the band, i was talking about the genre.

Yeah, numetal is basically:

- Synth intro

- Guitar intro with drums

- Verse 1

- Chorus 1

- Verse 2

- Chorus 2

- Bridge

- Screamo

- Calm Part

- Chorus 3

But I mean... Linkin Park has been trying to distance themselves from that since their third album. It's kinda harsh to say that's all they do when they deliberately try not to, or least tried not to for at least 3 albums, which sound really different from each other.

A Thousand Suns and Living Things are actually pretty solid records, though I'll still never ever enjoy Chester's lyrics. I'm a little disappointed they didn't keep going down the ATS type path, seems like they got scared of shifting too far away from a mainstream sound and backed off to poppier stuff on Living Things.

A Thousand Suns and Living Things are actually pretty solid records, though I'll still never ever enjoy Chester's lyrics. I'm a little disappointed they didn't keep going down the ATS type path, seems like they got scared of shifting too far away from a mainstream sound and backed off to poppier stuff on Living Things.

I think it was probably the least profitable album for them, so they got back to the usual hits. I mean... singles off that album were The Catalyst, Waiting For The End, Burning In The Skies and Iridescent and none of them came anywhere close to What I've Done and Leave Out All The Rest from MTM or Burn It Down from Living Things. Even Until It's Gone and Final Masquerade were huge hits.

I've never seen them as anything more than a teenage boo-hoo my life is so hard self-pity band riding on the already chewed out rap-rock crossover / nu-metal wave from the mid to late 90's. I'll admit they are good at doing just that though.

• Like 2

I think it was probably the least profitable album for them, so they got back to the usual hits. I mean... singles off that album were The Catalyst, Waiting For The End, Burning In The Skies and Iridescent and none of them came anywhere close to What I've Done and Leave Out All The Rest from MTM or Burn It Down from Living Things. Even Until It's Gone and Final Masquerade were huge hits.

I really don't know how people like ATS, im a huge LP fan, I was a member of the LPU and I was a regular on the chat on their website, when The Catalyst came out, i was like wtf is this shit, songs from The Hunting Party are still better, there are some nice songs like Final Masquerade as you mentioned, even Rebellion and A Line in the sand are amazing songs, they have moved on, but I wouldn't mind hearing another Hybrid Theory or Meteora