How Good is Axl in the Piano? As Great as Dizzy?

Didn't Axl play the piano in 14 Years and even Civil War? There's great r'n'r piano in there, who ever played it.

Its def him on 14 Years, cant remember about Civil War tho.
Civil war is dizzy.

I just assume who ever plays the piano on a song wrote the parts. anyway he was completely unnecessary on fast paced songs like pretty tied up, civil war (ending). Making the songs like old western saloon piano jams

Piano in Civil War is top notch and in no way unnecessary, IMO.

I really dont find it to be unnessecary on any of the UYI tracks that its on to be honest.

I do on pretty tied up, bad apples, Dust N' Bones, bad obsession, civil war ending (on the slower parts of the song i like them though), 14 years. I know Axl was on 14 years and probably Dust N Bones, but it didn't need them either. The songs would be better/heavier without them. The only ones i like with the "rocker" piano thing are Breakdown, Locomotive, and Yesterdays (then again they lowered the volume of it thankfully). I mean can you imagine Garden of Eden, YCBM, or any other rock song with those high two-note chords being banged out throughout the damn songs.

I heard he avoids the black keys. Don't make no sense to him apparently.

Dizzy plays black keys on street of dreams, as does Axl on Prostitute

Didn't Axl play the piano in 14 Years and even Civil War? There's great r'n'r piano in there, who ever played it.

Civil war is dizzy.

I just assume who ever plays the piano on a song wrote the parts. anyway he was completely unnecessary on fast paced songs like pretty tied up, civil war (ending). Making the songs like old western saloon piano jams

I really dont find it to be unnessecary on any of the UYI tracks that its on to be honest.

I do on pretty tied up, bad apples, Dust N' Bones, bad obsession, civil war ending (on the slower parts of the song i like them though), 14 years. I know Axl was on 14 years and probably Dust N Bones, but it didn't need them either. The songs would be better/heavier without them. The only ones i like with the "rocker" piano thing are Breakdown, Locomotive, and Yesterdays (then again they lowered the volume of it thankfully). I mean can you imagine Garden of Eden, YCBM, or any other rock song with those high two-note chords being banged out throughout the damn songs.

I stand corrected :lol:

Civil war is dizzy.

See i like the feel it gives Dust N Bones. And i think it fits all the other songs well too. I would never expect them to be on YCBM or Garden of Eden. I think the songs they picked to put them on fit. But thats me, im a big piano fan in general though.

what did dizzy do?

He supposedly wrote the outro for Locomotive that, I should say, is amazing. Aside from that, not really sure what the "don't be square!" guy has done professionally.

I like Axl piano playing, it must be really hard to write piano parts when you're not an aficionado, so kudos to him. November Rain, Estranged, This I Love piano parts are truly great.

say, when Tracii Guns met Axl in 1981/82, Axl was already pending November Rain

in 1988/1989 he was still in the process of, threating to leave the music business if he doesn't succeed

and what happened next?

Dizzy joined , the song was finished, the album was done, and Nov Rain was released as a single with a glorious video

coincidence?

I dont think so

what did dizzy do?

He supposedly wrote the outro for Locomotive that, I should say, is amazing. Aside from that, not really sure what the "don't be square!" guy has done professionally.

I like Axl piano playing, it must be really hard to write piano parts when you're not an aficionado, so kudos to him. November Rain, Estranged, This I Love piano parts are truly great.

That outro is amazing indeed. I didnt know that, do you have any source for that info? Like, did you read ny interview where someone mentions that? As far as I know Dizzy is not credited on that song and didnt write anything on the Illusions

what did dizzy do?

That outro is amazing indeed. I didnt know that, do you have any source for that info? Like, did you read ny interview where someone mentions that? As far as I know Dizzy is not credited on that song and didnt write anything on the Illusions

usually if axl writes it, he plays it. Same for dizzy

Yeah that's always being my understanding.

Axl songs = Axl on piano

Slash and Izzy songs = Dizzy

what did dizzy do?

To the best of my knowledge Axl has never played piano on ESTRANGED on the Illusions tour

Yeah that's always being my understanding.

Axl songs = Axl on piano

Slash and Izzy songs = Dizzy

what did dizzy do?

To the best of my knowledge Axl has never played piano on ESTRANGED on the Illusions tour

We're talking studio here.

I like all the piano parts in all GNR songs, I think it makes the evolution of a raw band from the streets to a major rock n roll band of all times. I remember reading a long time ago that Axl wanted to put a piano part in the end of Rocket Queen, but that was "not a natural thing to do in that record" or someting like that

Civil war is dizzy.

Yeah, Dizzy did Civil War for sure. Live performances never done Piano parts justice.

what did dizzy do?

He also did the piano intro for street of dreams, its nothing extra ordinary, but its a good touch and the song would sound pretty weird without the intro.

Axl's gifted to write NR

He's very good at composing the music, but may not be the best technically. Dizzy is better from a technical standpoint, but there are tons of better players out there. Axl has a gift for combining the right notes and creating music. I think it was Dizzy that recently said he had a hard time coming in during Chinese Democracy and trying to play Axl's parts that he made. He was blown away at the complexity of the music. I'll try to find the interview but I think it was recent.

I think Axl is good on the piano- akin to Neil Young whereas Dizzy is one of the great keyboardists in the history of rock n roll- I'd put him in the same league as Manzarek.

My gawd!!

Not one of the "gawds" but certainly one of the greats.

I think Axl is good on the piano- akin to Neil Young whereas Dizzy is one of the great keyboardists in the history of rock n roll- I'd put him in the same league as Manzarek.

My gawd!!

Not one of the "gawds" but certainly one of the greats.
Nope.

And Nick Jonas is in the same league as Eddie van Halen.

Come on man... No way is Dizzy one of the greats. Axl's way better than him as a piano player and also way more musically creative than Dizzy ever was or will be. Name one hit piano song Dizzy ever wrote and I'll retract my post...