Neil Young pulls streaming catalog, says quality is worse than AM radio

Słash

I was there.
AM radio kicked streaming's ass.
Analog Cassettes and 8 tracks also kicked streaming's ass,
and absolutely rocked compared to streaming.

Streaming sucks. Streaming is the worst audio in history.
If you want it, you got it. It's here to stay.
Your choice.

Copy my songs if you want to. That's free.
Your choice.

All my music, my life's work, is what I am preserving the way I want it to be.

It's already started. My music is being removed from all streaming services. It's not good enough to sell or rent.

Make streaming sound good and I will be back.

Neil Young

http://www.slashgear.com/neil-young-pulls-streaming-catalog-says-quality-is-worse-than-am-radio-15393130/

On Spotify you can choose your bitrate.

But yeah, I hear Neil Young once stopped a performance to yell 'OK, who's making that fuckin' racket when I'm trying to play?" Turns out a gnat had farted 6 blocks away from the venue.

There's also signs all over the place when he does his acoustic sets not to make noise in the middle of the song and hold off on applauding until the song is over, those shows are "you can hear a pin drop" theater gigs.

It's a given he wanted to be a presence on Spotify and then pull out of there "to make a point" because of Pono, but he still put his new album on there. Dylan had the Complete Basement Tapes on Spotify then had it taken down 2 days later, but they still have the sampler up. His new album of standards isn't on there but he made a deal with AARP (I think he's done with Rolling Stone) and random subscribers got free copies.

I do like Neil's two books and his interview with Howard Stern. I'm kind of surprised he didn't make a deal with Sirius to do a 24 hour channel but if you want to talk shitty audio quality, Sirius would make an audiophile jump out the window.