The Revenant (2015) - Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Leonardo DiCaprio

• 2 weeks later...

OK

The bear scene was pretty cool - after that just another survival story.

Hardy is overrated.

This, as far as the plot goes. However I thought the cinematography was beautiful, the score was chilling, and the suspense and brutality of the action scenes was done well.

Leo was good, dunno if he deserves an Oscar for his role, it felt like he was just a natural part of the film, but not standoutish.

Was probably my favorite 2015 film I've seen yet though

Edited by Dan H.

Damn, that was quite a ride. What an excellent film The Last Samurai is. Beautifully shot.

Takes a dump on history, but it is a great movie.

It is a joke historically. Why are the Americans claiming they built up the Japanese army when even the most desultory of students of Japanese history knows it was the French?

Just watched this movie. The cinematography is amazing. It's very different, strange, beautiful and captivating all at once.

I watched the whole movie and didn't even know Tom Hardy was in it. I didn't recognize him. lol. Great movie. I liked it.

Edited by 31illusions

Saw this last night. Absolutely unbelievable, and I never want to see it again. The photography is unreal - it's gorgeous, largely filmed in long cuts rather than the standard 7-seconds-per-shot average that Hollywood is at these days. But the action.... that was the most brutal movie I have seen in a good long time, and I was NOT prepared for it. The number of in-tight shots of gunshots, stabbings, festering wounds.... I am so glad that I saw it on a theater-size screen, but I don't plan on watching again.

DeCaprio was good, but pales in comparison to Hardy. The monologue about how Hardy's father "found god" is, for me, the Oscar moment of the movie. It's like Anne Hathaway singing I Dreamed A Dream in that oner from Les Mis - the rest of the movie doesn't matter, Hardy gets a statue for that fucking scene alone. So chilling yet funny all at the same time. Absolutely magnificent.

That this isn't even the best movie I've seen this week is a testament to just how crazy this year's oscar race is (saw Spotlight earlier in the week, and I think it should probably run the table for how perfect it was).

• Like 2

I winced in my seat the entire time. It was beautiful, majestic and (to repeat Pee-Wee's word-of-the-day) brutal. It was poetry.

DeCaprio was good, but pales in comparison to Hardy. The monologue about how Hardy's father "found god" is, for me, the Oscar moment of the movie. It's like Anne Hathaway singing I Dreamed A Dream in that oner from Les Mis - the rest of the movie doesn't matter, Hardy gets a statue for that fucking scene alone. So chilling yet funny all at the same time. Absolutely magnificent.

I just read the other day how Hardy drew heavy influence from Tom Berenger's Sargent Barnes from Platoon, for Fitzgerald. Holy Shit...that was Barnes. From the southern drawl to the cold pragmatism, the scarring, the justifiable lack of conscience. That was Sargent Barnes.

• Like 1

Saw it yesterday and was pleasantly blown away. I'll be right up front about it that these survival, sort of sweeping stories are not usually my thing. Bad examples, but stuff like Kingdom Of Heaven, and others I just can't quite think of at the moment, that are about a time and long and just kind of plop you in the middle somewhere is something I dread. I literally walked into this movie fearing I'd be bored to tears.

Happy to say that wasn't the case. Getting a lot of acclaim, and most I do think is deserved. My brother has the biggest hard on for Tom Hardy, and was glad to see he was very measured in his response. Said it was very good, but not movie of the year, which are basically my thoughts as well. Loved Birdman, and this definitely had those elements, with some great tracking shots that I think definitely deserve credit. In the hands of a different director this movie would NOT have been as good as it was. Cinematography was just gorgeous, and I appreciated what I believe their goal was. To put you in this time and place, which I think is usually missing in movies these days, so it was definitely one of those rare times I got immersed in something you know you won't see much. Movie was better off for it.

Acting was superb on all parts. I thought Hardy was great, and definitely think along with Fassbender he's one of the great actors out there right now. Disappears into his roles, and while I always have to chuckle that its nearly impossible to understand him in these films (my brother said "he's basically Bane's cousin in terms of having an accent"), but he does do a great job. And DeCaprio really had a commanding performance. Really blown away by him. I know it sort of comes with that role, but I think he pulled off and his "Best Actor" predictions have more weight for me now. I wouldn't be upset at all if he got it, and definitely possible he's most deserving.

Just a great story. My only complaint would have been you really do have to suspend your disbelief right at the beginning, cause its just insane that he would live through all of that. At least as depicted, although it made for a better story. Lot of good action throughout (again, not really my style, but well utilized to move the story along). Could it have been shorter? Yeah probably by a half an hour, although in fairness the length it takes him to reach where he does in the end is kind of made all the more powerful because of the time it took to get there. I think the same could have been achieved with 20 less minutes, but overall a small complaint. Entertaining right up until the end. Really made me want to read the book, although I've been told its more a journal than anything else so not as fascinating as I'd want it to be.

Overall, a solid 8 or 8.5 out of 10 for me. Gotta applaud these filmmakers when they pull out something like this, cause its definitely not easy and it doesn't come around much. I appreciate the care that gets put into really bringing the movie goer to a different place and just keeping you there for a good 2-3 hours. Don't think its Best Picture, but I think Director, Actor, Cinematography, and possibly Supporting are all well deserved. I still have a lot to see this Oscar season though, but so far this is my film to beat and didn't think that'd be the case.

Just saw it. Damn, what a film!

It's a basic story, but it's one of those movies that's not really about the story, it's about the experience, and on that it delivers 1000%.

So good!

Same here. Incredible movie, it was so well done.

my best scene was the bear attack obviously, dangerously realistic.

Such a tense film!

Leo and Tom are the actors I enjoy most nowadays, Leo's been a favourite for a while and part of it is down to the films that he's in... I almost always love them. I felt Leo was better than Tom in this, for some reason Tom just didn't sell it to me and I cant even explain how really. Leo... You really did feel like he was in pain, he made it look so real. Leo's weakness for me is when he plays sadness. Ive often felt he hasnt just quite nailed it when hes acting upset, hes always an angry sort of upset, which hes the fucking best at when its needed, but sometimes I feel like a scene is gonna make me choke up and it needs Leo to just push you over the edge and make you cry, but he just doesn't take it far enough. I reckon that's why he doesnt have an oscar... Its always films that make you cry. Other than that, i love the guy and the film was amazing. Definitely one to watch in the cinema rather than at home, downloaded on a pc.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...