Moderation Discussion

Towelie

I actually feel the moderation has gotten better over the last couple years and in my opinion it's more relaxed. I think it's a good thing. Although I do think people who post the obvious bullshit praising Axl for how much integroty he has as an artist while carrying on the GnR name while someone like Slash is a sell out whos' failed miserably since leaving GnR, should be banned. I mean stupid shit like that is either someone t r olling the site or they're so mentally unstable the moderators here should do them a favour and ban them so they stop deluding themselves in this online bubble. It's like a mental health issue. Ban them to help them sorta thing haha!

• Like 1

I agree.

There was a time when this forum wasn't as highly censored. I share the same sentiments as OP, but I also realize I am a useless peon and really have no say in any matter whatsoever.

I suppose that's why I joined a gym.

Makes me feel better about myself even when nobody else gives a shit.

Alright I'm off topic.

To conclude, things used to be better.

Don't ban me please or suspend me please. This is just my opinion. I mean no harm.

I'm harmless!

I agree.

There was a time when this forum wasn't as highly censored. I share the same sentiments as OP, but I also realize I am a useless peon and really have no say in any matter whatsoever.

I suppose that's why I joined a gym.

Makes me feel better about myself even when nobody else gives a shit.

*gypsy in a waistcoat walks past playing the violin* :D

yes, we can

but the mods (doesn't matter who they are) will never change their opinion or never admit their mistakes...

i'M not talking about mygnr only, i'M talking about internet forums in general

that's what happens when you give power to a certain group of people

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

yes, we can

but the mods (doesn't matter who they are) will never change their opinion or never admit their mistakes...

Sorry for going off topic, I know what you mean, I used to be on a Chat of a band, the mods there were useless, there was a mod called Dan, he was a moron, he used to ban people for saying Fuck, Bitch, Turd. Thats why I asked if the word Fuck is allowed over here lol. The sad part was he din't ban the spammers but he banned the people who said Turd.

So compared to that, the mods/admins here are still better. There was mod there named Tiernan, Alfie reminds me of her, she was not my best buddy there, later on she and the other Mods started to hate me cause I used to complain that why the fuck you are not banning the spammers. And Alfie reminds me of her cause even she was a middle aged women with kids, not cause of how they moderate lol.

There was a friend of mine there named Nexus, he reminds me of Downzy, both of them seem to indulge in politics and seem pretty intelligent and have a lot of knowledge of things, thats another thing that Nexus stabbed me in the back and asslicked the admins and became a mod there. Sadly that Chat got closed a few years ago cause people din't know how to moderate.

So well things over here are still better, I know no one cares what I say, I guess back in the day as people say in Maddison's rule, this forum was basically dead, so in terms of that things are pretty good here, I just came here to talk and make friends.

Let's look at some hard statistics here...

The forum has 43,000 members and almost 3.5 million posts. We get over a million views a month. It's a very active forum.

Take a look at the mod logs. Now you can only view the 10 most recent actions, but still. Between all of the mods, we've only taken 10 actions in the last 26 hours, and four of those were repeats of a thread already covered in those last 10 moderating actions. So, out of our staff of 8, we only found 6 threads in the last 26 hours that we felt needed any moderation on any level - that's going anywhere from deleting a single post to locking a whole thread. Doing the math by looking at the Today's Top Posters page, there have been about 420 posts in the last 24 hours. Even if you take 10 instances of moderation, that's still an incredibly low ratio compared to how many posts were made.

As someone who has been a mod under all three owners of MyGNR, I can tell you that under Subsy, and now Downzy, moderating is significantly more relaxed than it was under Eric. With Eric, the extent of a decision could have been "That guy is being an asshole, so he's banned". Starting with Subsy and carrying over to Downzy, we've set a specific rule on how bannings take place - you are allowed 5 warning points, then you get banned. Yes, we give you five chances to fuck up before we finally say "That's it, no more". And even then, we're usually pretty hesitant to give out warning points - more often than not you'll get a verbal warning which doesn't count against you in any way. This goes into deleting posts also. Someone else mentioned here that they're happy seeing more deleted posts and less banned members and it's true - we could delete less posts and give more warning points (And therefore more bannings) but how is that not worse?

I'm not locking this or anything as no one has really gotten out of hand or anything. But I will say this - we are human, we can't make the best decision one hundred percent of the time, but we try our hardest. We're bound to make a bad decision every now and then, but when it happens there are far better ways to express your dissatisfaction or confusion at a decision than starting a thread like this - namely PMing a mod. We put a lot of time and effort into trying to make this place the best GN'R forum and we take absolutely zero gain from it, and to come on here first thing in the morning and see a thread like this feels a bit like a slap in the face.

• Like 3

We need more concrete examples if we're to have an actual discussion about this. Towelie gave one, but I don't think I saw that thread.

The status update is getting more than the usual moderation lately. And Black Sabbath has finally woken up from his eternal nap and he is on a rolling. But sooner or later he will return to his natural state. So I don´t think we should worry.

Maybe what we need is for the mods to move more threads to Civil War

I am not challenging anyone's credibility and Downzy can answer my question, what did you see in each Admin/Mods when you gave them their position, I know some of them were already there even before you joined, so if you could write all the names and in front of that say how you felt about them and what you found good about them, for example

Forsaken - He is a good person, he is in a forum since a long time and I saw him doing a good job etc etc

Russ - He has a good knowledge of software and coding stuff etc etc

like you would put the words better than me

I don't have a problem with anyone, but I was just curious to know and I guess as a member I do have a right to ask this.

• Like 1

Being around since the beginning of the forum and dealing strictly with what I know from the user and staff side I would say I am shocked to see this thread honestly in this time...

The mods we have now are nothing but excellent, things have changed for the better here. The mods are more engaged, open and careful about how to react to things here.

Truly speaking this team is the best team we have ever had, I think you are only noticing some stuff as the band is completely silent, when they are active quite honestly there just is not as much stuff to mod.

I think they do a great job, I for one don't need to read horrible things being said about members of the band or crew etc. To say certain things is fine, hell they let alot fly here, but to purposely derail topics or create topics that hurt is just not cool IMO

The mods are not the enemy, take some time to get to know them

• Like 3

yes, we can

I'm not saying you're wrong in all cases, but I think you are in about 80% of them. Try and look at the other side of the medallion here. Mods, no matter where, choose to invest (a lot of) their spare time into creating a place where people can discuss something they're all into. And no matter how you do it, you only get shit in return. There's always users complaining, people being jerks, people purposely breaking the rules, people trying to stir shit up, people just plain trying to make your life miserable. Always. No matter how good a job you do. It's a bloody thankless job. All you get for it is shit. And threads like this. So excuse them if they get a little sick and tired of it occasionally and clean something a little too rigorous or lash out against a user that had it coming for months. I'm not saying it's always ok, just that it's often understandable.

And in the light of all that, I think the admin/mod team here is doing a bloody good job. Just like they were when Subsy and High were running things. And I definitely don't agree with everything Madison did, but I fully understand her frustration and she got a lot more shit for it than she deserved.

Try and look at it from their side occasionally.

Edited by username
  • Like 2

Ok Ignore me, just asked a general thing, I was not questioning anyone's credibility nor I was expecting some sort of explanation, but some answer would have been good.

Just a suggestion, as this type of thread has already been started by someone, then it would be great for the mods/admins to come out and answer people personally over here, so even the others would know what is the mistake and learn from it.

For Example Nate's says that his status update's were deleted, he says it was not offensive, but I assume it would have been offensive cause there would be a reason for them to be deleted, so its better to reply, so even the others would know that how it was offensive and the reason behind it and the members will learn from it and won't do the same mistake, then people won't point a finger on the Moderating/Admin Team.

Great contributions and great discussion so far. I appreciate everyone's input, whether positive or negative.

I've moved this discussion to the Support section since that's truly where it belongs.

I'll offer up my own opinion later on as I want to give everyone else an opportunity to voice their opinion.

I think the biggest thing I can say in defense of being on the mod staff is that it is very much a voluntary thing.

Sure it is. You in a new city every week, downzy partying with Gilby and flying with Dave Navarro, Powerage taking his mom around the world every year, Black Sabbath buying every little pop culture trinket he can get his hands on... sure, "voluntary".

• Like 2