Moderation Discussion

Towelie

I'll offer up my own opinion later

was there ever any doubt

can I get an amen

Can't think of better proof of our leniency than Shades, my nemesis in all things politics, continuing to participate on this forum with zero warning points thus far. :P

• Like 1

was there ever any doubt

can I get an amen

Can't think of better proof of our leniency than Shades, my nemesis in all things politics, continuing to participate on this forum with zero warning points thus far. :P

Which I really appreciate. You and I had a disagreement not to long ago as well, and I gotta be honest, I was scared you would just ban me and just be rid of me. Honestly if I were you, I might consider doing exactly that, from time to time. So I have to give you kudos for not doing that, even to those you have disagreements with. Or in Shades case, pretty much can't stand, lol.

I think the moderation is, for the most part, fine.

I have noted a shift towards what I would call a more "politically correct" tone in terms of what is subject to being deleted.

Frankly, given this is a GNR forum, I do find that rather amusing.

I can live with it but I will say this - I hope the whole "I find that offensive" culture that is choking free speech on the net does not take hold in a strong way on this forum. It is already destroying other parts of the internet under the banner of "Political Correctness" when in reality it is plain old censorship.

But overall I think things here are good.

• Like 2

was there ever any doubt

can I get an amen

Which I really appreciate. You and I had a disagreement not to long ago as well, and I gotta be honest, I was scared you would just ban me and just be rid of me. Honestly if I were you, I might consider doing exactly that, from time to time. So I have to give you kudos for not doing that, even to those you have disagreements with. Or in Shades case, pretty much can't stand, lol.
Believe me, we've all got SOMEONE we'd love to do that to (For me it's Black Sabbath), but you just can't if you want people to take your moderating seriously. I think as a team we're pretty good at all keeping our cool when someone gets on our nerves.

Little late here, but let me start off by saying that we're all human, and also as mods/admins, we're so used to seeing topics derailed and trolls running wild, especially in D&N. Are we completely faultless? Absolutely not. We've all made mistakes and i'm sure each of us on the staff can admit to that.

However, being part of the staff means you have to make judgement calls. "Will this thread continue down this path and be derailed, or nah?" "Should I delete this post? Yeah... it's gonna piss someone off and cause the thread to swerve into another direction". Those types of things. Forgive me, Towelie, but can you give me a direct example of what you're talking about? I'll admit right now that I haven't read this thread in it's entirety, just your OP, but was it the thread I hid last night about Axl being done? Judgement call bro. Things were going south and we try to avoid as much of that as possible.

Also bro, PM any of us at any time. I assure you that we'll answer and get back to you ASAP. We're all good about doing that.

And honestly man? This board is VERY loosely moderated at this point. I'm guessing you weren't around when Eric and Madison were running the place?

• Like 4

I have noted a shift towards what I would call a more "politically correct" tone in terms of what is subject to being deleted.

I can live with it but I will say this - I hope the whole "I find that offensive" culture that is choking free speech on the net does not take hold in a strong way on this forum. It is already destroying other parts of the internet under the banner of "Political Correctness" when in reality it is plain old censorship.

GnR were always representative of the worst kind of middle class morality anyway

'Nobody in their right minds wants to go to war but now we're there i think you're a fuckin' asshole for not taking our side'

:vomit:

Are you talking about the main GNR sections here? I think it's fair to say they are moderated a little more closely than other parts of the board for reasons P5 pointed out earlier- with around a million views per month these are the sections that are probably browsed most publicly so it's not unreasonable to try and keep it a vaguely welcoming place.

As far as other sections go we generally leave them be unless something is reported, very obviously out to cause a ruckus or seems like a personal attack. If we were all hung up on political correctness this thread, for example, wouldn't still be standing http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/212081-mick-fanning-fights-shark-sth-africa/

• Like 1

Little late here, but let me start off by saying that we're all human, and also as mods/admins, we're so used to seeing topics derailed and cupcakes running wild, especially in D&N. Are we completely faultless? Absolutely not. We've all made mistakes and i'm sure each of us on the staff can admit to that.

However, being part of the staff means you have to make judgement calls. "Will this thread continue down this path and be derailed, or nah?" "Should I delete this post? Yeah... it's gonna piss someone off and cause the thread to swerve into another direction". Those types of things. Forgive me, Towelie, but can you give me a direct example of what you're talking about? I'll admit right now that I haven't read this thread in it's entirety, just your OP, but was it the thread I hid last night about Axl being done? Judgement call bro. Things were going south and we try to avoid as much of that as possible.

Also bro, PM any of us at any time. I assure you that we'll answer and get back to you ASAP. We're all good about doing that.

And honestly man? This board is VERY loosely moderated at this point. I'm guessing you weren't around when Eric and Madison were running the place?

Thank you for replying to the problem by the OP, I don't even know what OP means, but I do know its the person who starts the thread.

The way you replied, this is what we want, plus small things are being exaggerating, sometimes its just a matter of miscommunication.

All of us are humans and there are many things which you like and there would be many things which I won't and even after that all of you are doing a great job, but I want people to come out and tell the problems and I want the mods/admins to reply to those specific problems so things can be cleared up and we learn from our own mistakes.

Now as this thread has opened, ill tell you, even I have felt bad about things and none of you need to be sorry over it, like for example when I asked about the "past" of the forum, like the Supporters group and all, HV and Downzy were like they don't even matter now and were trying to cut off the thing, I know they don't matter now, but its nothing wrong to ask about them? In this case Powerage was helpful, he did tell me the history of the forum, so thank you man.

My conclusion is that all of you are cool and all of you are doing a great job, I have had some problems and Russ did help me and we sorted it out, One time I messaged Russ to remove something, he did read my message and removed the thing but din't reply, so next time bro at least say Ok Thank you or something like that so I would know that you at least appreciated it or well I just find it rude when people don't reply me back.

Are you talking about the main GNR sections here? I think it's fair to say they are moderated a little more closely than other parts of the board for reasons P5 pointed out earlier- with around a million views per month these are the sections that are probably browsed most publicly so it's not unreasonable to try and keep it a vaguely welcoming place.

As far as other sections go we generally leave them be unless something is reported, very obviously out to cause a ruckus or seems like a personal attack. If we were all hung up on political correctness this thread, for example, wouldn't still be standing http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/212081-mick-fanning-fights-shark-sth-africa/

Welcoming for whom? Axl nutters? TB? Sorry I don´t think we need that here. Sure Axl fans with an open mind must be welcome and it would be great to have them around. But for the others they have Jarmo´s forum or the GN´R official facebook

..One time I messaged Russ to remove something, he did read my message and removed the thing but din't reply, so next time bro at least say Ok Thank you or something like that so I would know that you at least appreciated it or well I just find it rude when people don't reply me back.

Here's an example of something where I'd ask that you remember that we all do this in our spare time for free. I would ask that you look on the more positive side of things like that. Many of us check in on the board with 5 or so minutes to spare but end up on here for a lot longer handling various things. Some issues are just acknowledged and handled, ya know?

• Like 2

Welcoming for whom? Axl nutters? TB? Sorry I don´t think we need that here. Sure Axl fans with an open mind must be welcome and it would be great to have them around. But for the others they have Jarmo´s forum or the GN´R official facebook

That isn't what I meant, more keeping the tone less combative and agressive all round. We have a lot of people reading the board as guests, it would be great if more signed up as it's what keeps the place going.

..One time I messaged Russ to remove something, he did read my message and removed the thing but din't reply, so next time bro at least say Ok Thank you or something like that so I would know that you at least appreciated it or well I just find it rude when people don't reply me back.

Here's an example of something where I'd ask that you remember that we all do this in our spare time for free. I would ask that you look on the more positive side of things like that. Many of us check in on the board with 5 or so minutes to spare but end up on here for a lot longer handling various things. Some issues are just acknowledged and handled, ya know?

Thanks for clearing that up, Russ. Please respond thanking me for thanking you so that I know you appreciate my appreciation. :lol:

Just jokes, Slash787. Please don't start asking about my history.

• Like 1

That isn't what I meant, more keeping the tone less combative and agressive all round. We have a lot of people reading the board as guests, it would be great if more signed up as it's what keeps the place going.

People sign anyway because we have the media quoting things we say here and they mention mygnrforum. That´s the best possible way to reach out to people. If some magazine is quoting what a fan says then I guess we´re doing great , we are welcoming. And there isn´t too much to change

100%. For all of us, this is a hobby. I'll check the board for 5 minutes, and see what's up and end up answering various PMs. 30 minutes have gone by at this point. My lunch break is over at work. Boom.

We do the best we can, but I can't say that any one of us actually live for this board. Like I say, we hit and miss a few things here and there but the majority of the time we hit.

I've moderated under Eric, Subs, and now Downzy, and it's probably the most laid back now than it's been since I started.

But in the last few years, each admin has had to deal with diffmembers and different situations that have happened that have influenced the moderation.

In all honesty, a lot of people get away with saying a lot of things they shouldn't. Not to mention, the mod logs are there so you can see what mod removed a post from what thread.

Things might not be perfect, and they probably never will be, but it's probably the best now that it's been in a long time.