Meat Loaf & Steinman together again

fred_carston

I'm not *into* Meat Loaf- just don't dig the operatic pop-rock, but having watched a documentary on the pair, this should be good news for Meat Loaf fans. The only trouble I really foresee is if they make an album they could have made 20 years ago. It's an acquired taste, so maybe those who love it will really enjoy it. For me, Meat Loaf was part of the bombast of the 80s, tastes and cultures have changed since then.

• Like 2

I'm not *into* Meat Loaf- just don't dig the operatic pop-rock, but having watched a documentary on the pair, this should be good news for Meat Loaf fans. The only trouble I really foresee is if they make an album they could have made 20 years ago. It's an acquired taste, so maybe those who love it will really enjoy it. For me, Meat Loaf was part of the bombast of the 80s, tastes and cultures have changed since then.

good post, some just mock for the sake of it, you actually made sense

good post, some just mock for the sake of it, you actually made sense

Thanks. I bet it's hard to find someone who doesn't feel the urge to belt it out (and even sync the opening piano riff) when Bat Out of Hell plays anyway. They've both worked hard and are very talented, and I respect that beyond the idea that Meat Loaf is cheesy, naff or whatever. I won't be buying the album, but if I got the chance to see him in concert, I bet it would be phenomenal.

• Like 1

I like Meat's stuff quite a bit. Honestly, Bat III is probably my favorite of his records, a bit heavier with more influence from guys like Sixx and James Michael. Hopefully this one will be good. Of course, Meat's voice will probably be engineered to death since he can't hold a tune in a bucket anymore...

This is all I can think of when Meatloaf is mentioned these days.

A great singer in his day, not sure if I would go and see him now though everybody has a bad day I guess.

edit: one youtube comment: "he sounds like Peter Griffin" :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 1

This is all I can think of when Meatloaf is mentioned these days.

A great singer in his day, not sure if I would go and see him now though everybody has a bad day I guess.

Nope. Meatloaf is all bad days at this point. He's totally tone-deaf, and is lucky to get a song out without totally losing all sense of tonality. A good day? That's entirely out of the question, I'm afraid. I absolutely love his body of work and would kill to see him if he could still do it, but he still tries to go full over-the-top operatic without the ability to sing. it's really just sad.

This is probably the best single song performance I've seen from him in the last decade, and frankly its barely listenable. Aspen Vincent at the end does make it worth it, though, she's amazing.

• 1 year later...

Meat Loaf also said that on Bat III

“I’m not gonna get into the political aspects of Bat Out of Hell III,”  “I wanted to strangle somebody, but not Jimmy, trust me. There is no Bat Out of Hell III. That should have never happened. To me, that record is nonexistent. It doesn’t exist.”

28 minutes ago, wondering where's izzy? said:

Really sad, this album should've been done 15 years ago when it was still possible.

Really you take half of The Monster Is Loose and half of this one and you have the real Bat Out Of Hell III.

1. It's All Coming Back To Me Now
  2. Bad For Good
  3. The Future Ain't What It Used to Be
  4. Speaking In Tongues
  5. Souvenirs
  6. More
  7. Going All the Way Is Just The Start 
  8. Loving You's a Dirty Job
  9. In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher Is King
  10. Who Needs The Young
  11. Skull Of Your Country
  12. Train Of Love