Which GN'R Songs are good while learning guitar? Will I be as good as Slash/Ashba in a few years?

So last month's Epiphone sale(100th birthday), I bought the Slash AFD guitar. I did my research, how Epiphone is nothing compared to Gibson, but as I said, Im still learning how to play anyway.

I chatted with Bumble, and he told me if I wanna learn rock music, buy an electric guitar instead of acoustic. So yeah, I did. My question now is, which GNR songs should I learn as a beginner. Im thinking Patience, what else?

And in a few years, will I be as good as SLASH and DJ ASHBA?!

11215712_384841158376336_393108835195004

11215124_384841185043000_219708836328146

So its your 100th Birthday? Don't say Slash and Ashba's name in the same sentence

Patience is a good song for beginners, I guess first you should practice chords and scales, when I started learning, the first song I wanted to learn was Sweet Child, I did learn that but it was not that easy

at the moment I would just recommend to learn the strumming patterns of the GNR songs so you get the feel of them, then slowly learn the riffs and the solo's and just practice and work hard.

Just don't be lazy, I have been playing the guitar on and off, the problem with me is that im pretty Lazy so I dont practice and totally leave the guitar, then I listen to a GNR song and I go like man I need to play that on the guitar

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Sweet child isn't a bad song to learn, it was one of the first songs I ever learned. Practice the intro riff, the chords are easy, and the solos between verses are easy. The hardest part is the end solo, so you might have to give that a miss as a beginner.

Welcome to the Jungle's intro riff isn't too hard, it'll teach you alternate picking :) Yet again the rhythm is easy, but the solos could be hard as a beginner.

• Like 1

SCOM solo is pretty advanced, especially the last half (too advanced for DJ obviously). But you may as well try and tackle it if you wanna play lead. Start out slow and build up your speed gradually. Make sure you nail the correct timing/rhythm before attempting to increase your speed. That goes for learning pretty much any guitar part

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

Just learning id start with Knockin On Heaven Door

It is a pretty good song to play, but that solo made me frustrated, its hard to keep up with the pace. Don't Cry is also an amazing song, its a song which always motivates me to pick the guitar again.

Thanks guys! Actually also got Rocksmith 2014, like Russ. No GNR songs though, but there are Aerosmith and Slash as DLCs.

@Slash787, I think it was Les Paul's 100th bday, or something like that. There was a whole Epiphone sale on most sites.

Btw for how much you bought it?

Thanks guys! Actually also got Rocksmith 2014, like Russ. No GNR songs though, but there are Aerosmith and Slash as DLCs.

@Slash787, I think it was Les Paul's 100th bday, or something like that. There was a whole Epiphone sale on most sites.

$169 + shipping to my country $60(with import tax)

Not bad, but after you start getting good at playing, I would recommend you to get something better.

Not bad, but after you start getting good at playing, I would recommend you to get something better.

Yeah, so I read. Im just looking for the most basic electric guitar(Les Paul), and well, its Slash. lol

Another thing to consider is when you're learning lead guitar parts, you don't need to be too anal about learning exactly what Slash plays note for note. Most guitarists (including Slash) rarely play the same solo the same way twice. Learn the key parts of a solo and then build up an arsenal of your own licks for the fast runs (using pentatonic and major scale licks). Learning someone else's solos note for note when you're a beginner is a collosal waste of time and this is something I wish someone had told me when I first started playing.

Another thing to consider is when you're learning lead guitar parts, you don't need to be too anal about learning exactly what Slash plays note for note. Most guitarists (including Slash) rarely play the same solo the same way twice. Learn the key parts of a solo and then build up an arsenal of your own licks for the fast runs (using pentatonic and major scale licks). Learning someone else's solos note for note when you're a beginner is a collosal waste of time and this is something I wish someone had told me when I first started playing.

So thats what Ashba is doing? Putting his own flavor on Slash's solos?

Anyway thanks for the tip!!!

You could say that.... I'd say he's just playing badly half of the time, but yeah the other half he's doing his own thing.

Take a look at Bumblefoot's solos on Yesterdays last year. You can hear he follows the original Slash melody, but making it his own.

• Like 1

For the most part Ashba seems to stick to Slash's parts note-for-note with a few exceptions. There's nothing wrong with that and sometimes its good to learn something note for note for your own discipline. But it takes greater skill to put your own spin on it, while remaining faithful to the original at the same time (which is what Ron and Richard do a lot). For playing lead, learn the minor pentatonic scale inside out. Once you know the five positions, learn as many licks derived from the pentatonic scale as possible. Use backing tracks to songs you like to practise the licks in a musical way. Edited by Towelie

Nice guitar man

I'd say with some solid practice for about 5-6 days you could be at Ashba's level but the real challenge will come with dedicating yourself to copying the image created by others who have spent years on the road.

Pro-Tip - If you want your guitar to look badass and worn in from years of gigging just buy a packet of cigarettes and strategically burn the finish of your guitar in all the right places. That way all the cool kids will flock to you thinking you are a realgenuine badass and not some fraud who came down with the last shower.

Edited by Facekicker
  • Like 1

Does the guitar come with the hat? Can't believe Slash sold out to Gibson guitars.

These "Axl nutswinger" posters are the main reason I love this form :lol:

So, Slash basically single-handedly revived Gibson guitars, back in the 80s. He'll likely go down as the most iconic Les Paul player ever, even surpassing the image of Jimmy Page with a Les Paul guitar.

Axl Rose, on the other hand, was never the face of Budweiser. He didn't revive Budweiser's image. He won't go down in history as the greatest Budweiser drinker of all time.

But yet it's admirable that Axl raised a bottle of Bud for a sweet paycheck? :facepalm:

Check this fellas channel does the best Gnr/slash covers and lessons and get a program like guitar pro

you can get your tabs here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Kobiba also did some nice GNR covers, his tone was perfect, I don't know if you know him, but he has stopped posting videos now, there is another guy called Gwerh or something like that, even he has done some awesome covers

Does the guitar come with the hat? Can't believe Slash sold out to Gibson guitars.

Well like that Ashba and bucket head also have their custom Gibson guitars for Sale, like that Ron sold himself out to Vigier guitars.

Slash helped Gibson to revive the Les Paul, there are many Custom Gibson guitars or Ibanez Guitars for sale. None of them sold themselves to the company well expect for Paul Stanley.

These "Axl nutswinger" posters are the main reason I love this form :lol:

So, Slash basically single-handedly revived Gibson guitars, back in the 80s. He'll likely go down as the most iconic Les Paul player ever, even surpassing the image of Jimmy Page with a Les Paul guitar.

Axl Rose, on the other hand, was never the face of Budweiser. He didn't revive Budweiser's image. He won't go down in history as the greatest Budweiser drinker of all time.

But yet it's admirable that Axl raised a bottle of Bud for a sweet paycheck? :facepalm:

:lol:

He's be doing it for 20 years not a 2 sec advert!

I'm kidding guys.