Which GN'R Songs are good while learning guitar? Will I be as good as Slash/Ashba in a few years?

Nice guitar man

I'd say with some solid practice for about 5-6 days you could be at Ashba's level but the real challenge will come with dedicating yourself to copying the image created by others who have spent years on the road.

Pro-Tip - If you want your guitar to look badass and worn in from years of gigging just buy a packet of cigarettes and strategically burn the finish of your guitar in all the right places. That way all the cool kids will flock to you thinking you are a realgenuine badass and not some fraud who came down with the last shower.

'Ashba level' haha. The guy already probably surpasses Ashba now and he has not even started playing yet.

• Like 1

Check this fellas channel does the best Gnr/slash covers and lessons and get a program like guitar pro

you can get your tabs here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Kobiba also did some nice GNR covers, his tone was perfect, I don't know if you know him, but he has stopped posting videos now, there is another guy called Gwerh or something like that, even he has done some awesome covers

Does the guitar come with the hat? Can't believe Slash sold out to Gibson guitars.

i thought kobibas tone was horrible, he has a wah pedal clicked on to give a treble boost, sound ok when playing the intro to sweet child but on chords its awful.

he is good on the guitar though

Thank you all. Ill def. be checking those vids.

Anyway, was at Starbucks a while ago with my gf. To be as good as Ashba in guitar playing, Im trying to be like him, so I told the barista Im Slash...

"Is there anything else you would like to order, Mr. Slash?" LOL!

11742809_385004231693362_815671454778004

• Like 1

People say I want to be like Slash, I want to be like Jimmy Page, I want to be like Hendrix, I want to be like Ritchie Blackmore, I want to be like Steve Vai, I want to be like Joe Satriani, really who the hell wants to be like Ashba?

People say I want to be like Slash, I want to be like Jimmy Page, I want to be like Hendrix, I want to be like Ritchie Blackmore, I want to be like Steve Vai, I want to be like Joe Satriani, really who the hell wants to be like Ashba?

Start at the bottom. And Ashba imitates Slash right? So by imitating Ashba, Im basically imitating Slash.

Also guys, should I invest on a good amp now? Or just buy a cheap one then just upgrade as I upgrade the guitar, etc?

It will take many years for you to be able to play as seamlessly as Slash. That's not to say that you won't be able to play a lot of his leads after 1 to 2 years of playing. I would recommend learning Knocking on heavens door, it takes you through the basic chords, strummed and arpeggiated, the solo (the first one) is easy enough for a beginner too. The bends will be your biggest challenge.

When you practice bending a note, play the note you are trying to bend to first and then bend the string until you reach the pitch (some people practice bending watching their tuner, which can be a nice visual guide)

The best advice is to take your time, if you don't have patience with the guitar and practice, you will pick up bad habits or get fed up with what looks like a lack of progress. Play slowly, then build up speed, go for 'accuracy' instead of speed, once you can play it slowly and accurately speed will come. I advise you to learn all your basic chords first, and at the same time learn your minor pentatonic. Next start with bar chords and then learn minor blues scale. For Slash soloing he uses minor pentatonics, minor & major blues predominantly. Soloing will come later though, get your chords and hand coordination together, basic strumming patterns etc.

Every guitar instructor will tell you same thing, get a metronome, play slowly and have fun with it. Learn songs you like and push yourself, 30mins to a hour a day (every day) is enough practice time. Finally, don't bite off more than you can chew, basic chords and one scale is enough material for at least a week (and that will be a challenge as a beginner). consider getting someone to show you some basics, how to read tab, some chords (all of which is on youtube, but it's better in person). As for the amp, I wouldn't spend a ton of money until I was sure that guitar was for me, buy a cheap amp, something like a fender mustang 10w or a roland cube will be perfect for a beginner.

Hope this helps, and enjoy the geetar! :)

Edited by Tom2112

Congrats on the guitar and learning how to play! It's the best hobby, and don't worry, your bleeding, sore fingertips will be calloused before ya know it!

As for best GnR songs to start learning, the first I learned was Used to Love Her. Super easy and a fun one to sing. It's just D-A-G-A throughout the verses, then going between A-G on the "I knew I'd miss her, so I had to keep her..." parts.

Don't Cry gives some good picking practice but isn't too complicated (most of the picking is within straight forward chords) and My Michelle is a good one for just rocking out on some power chords.

Enjoy it all!

PS try to learn any song ya want, no matter how hard, but people who say learn SCOM first are nuts! The riff is the finger equivalent to a tongue twister!

Pubes.