"New" Michael Jackson and Ray Charles song leaks, ode to deaf people....

Towelie

I really like it. But the one thing I always admired about MJ was how completely unconcerned he was about being considered "cool." I mean, who else (in the realm of popular music) would record a song like this?

For a man unconcerned with being cool Towelie he had an acute predeliction towards trend following y'know.

Ray Charles you say? I shall have to have a listen :) Also, song for the deaf? Sounds like something you come up with over a heavy skunk smoking session :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

For a man unconcerned with being cool Towelie he had an acute predeliction towards trend following y'know.

Depends how you look at it. In his prime, he was setting trends, not following them. And then some of the songs in his catalogue, such as this one (and I can name dozens of others) really sound as if he has no interest in following trends. Put it this way, you would never get Madonna recording something this passe.

Depends how you look at it. In his prime, he was setting trends, not following them. And then some of the songs in his catalogue, such as this one (and I can name dozens of others) really sound as if he has no interest in following trends. Put it this way, you would never get Madonna recording something this passe.

He was kinda like souley when soul was the thing, discoey when disco was the thing, then new jack swing when that was the thing, then when hip hop was the pop of the day he's getting with Murder Inc (crap choice by the way :lol:).

I suppose the flipside to that is each and everyone of those musical movements kinda held him up as a fuckin' God to begin with anyway (lesser so hip hop but his shadow still loomed somewhat large there) so, yeah, if they can be influenced by him then he's kinda one of the godfathers of their thing to begin with so I suppose it's kinda reciprocal..sort of.

Edited by Len B'stard

He was kinda like souley when soul was the thing, discoey when disco was the thing, then new jack swing when that was the thing, then when hip hop was the pop of the day he's getting with Murder Inc (crap choice by the way :lol:).

I suppose the flipside to that is each and everyone of those musical movements kinda held him up as a fuckin' God to begin with anyway (lesser so hip hop but his shadow still loomed somewhat large there) so, yeah, if they can be influenced by him then he's kinda one of the godfathers of their thing to begin with so I suppose it's kinda reciprocal..sort of.

I think a lot of that stuff was pushed on him by his label to be honest. I see a song like this as far more legitimately Michael Jackson - the man who listened almost exclusively to classical music and famously said in all sincerity that his favourite song of all time was My Favourite Things from The Sound of Music. He was never afraid to be himself, as deathly "uncool" as it was at times.

Yeah, he did work with the trendy producers of the day as well, but even on those albums, he'd sneak on Disney-esque showtunes, choral choirs and classically-inspired murder ballads. His 90s work was a lot more eclectic than he is given credit for, especially when you consider his contemporaries of the day (Madonna, Prince, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston etc) were busy chasing R&B trends, an album like HIStory is a million miles away from what his peers were doing back in 1995.

I think a lot of that stuff was pushed on him by his label to be honest. I see a song like this as far more legitimately Michael Jackson - the man who listened almost exclusively to classical music and famously said in all sincerity that his favourite song of all time was My Favourite Things from The Sound of Music. He was never afraid to be himself, as deathly "uncool" as it was at times.

Yeah, he did work with the trendy producers of the day as well, but even on those albums, he'd sneak on Disney-esque showtunes, choral choirs and classically-inspired murder ballads. His 90s work was a lot more eclectic than he is given credit for, especially when you consider his contemporaries of the day (Madonna, Prince, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston etc) were busy chasing R&B trends, an album like HIStory is a million miles away from what his peers were doing back in 1995.

If you read Walter Yetnikoff and Tommy Mottola's books, they wrote a lot about working with Michael Jackson, but I think the timing of Mottola running Sony and Michael's career starting to go into decline didn't help.

A lot of the crowd frenzy they've used in some of the footage was staged. Funny thing - he came to San Diego a lot and somehow the paparazzi never bothered him. Debbie lived there, Deepak's office was based out of there (George Harrison and Michael Jackson did hang out), Janet lived up in Rancho Santa Fe, one of his kids was born there, but he had no problem being left alone.

I don't know if I got the right video link... Are we talking about Stronger? 'Cause I liked it. It's simple but it's cool.

Oh God, that's not what I posted. Sony are obviously taking the song down. And Stronger is fake as fuck.

Try this:

If you read Walter Yetnikoff and Tommy Mottola's books, they wrote a lot about working with Michael Jackson, but I think the timing of Mottola running Sony and Michael's career starting to go into decline didn't help.

A lot of the crowd frenzy they've used in some of the footage was staged. Funny thing - he came to San Diego a lot and somehow the paparazzi never bothered him. Debbie lived there, Deepak's office was based out of there (George Harrison and Michael Jackson did hang out), Janet lived up in Rancho Santa Fe, one of his kids was born there, but he had no problem being left alone.

Howling at the Moon is fucking hilarious :lol:

• Like 1