Snakepit

Marc,

Slash was playing at his peak during the 5 o clock somewhere era - I read after he released the album AXL wanted the songs back after he originally rejected them - Snakepit is pure bad ass playing and what GNR needed at that time - a kick in the ass back to playing raw hard rock - I love the album it still sounds fresh and killer ! my question is wtf was Axl thinking by rejecting these songs - Im a huge Axl fan but he dropped the ball on this one and basically the band broke up- Axl even mentioned in various interviews that he heard stuff Slash had come up with on the follow up to UYI at the time and it was mindblowing which turned out to be Snakepit and do you think some of the lyrics Slash wrote are directly towards AXL is something he can never get over ? anybody that is a original GNR fan will know the songs im talking about - and with Crucify the dead with Ozzy it pretty much tells the relationship they once had -

Thnx brother for all the great insight

The problem with Axl is that he mixed his personal and professional life, a new gnr album could have easily come out in 1995, but well things din't work out.

As far as the songs, Ozzy wrote the lyrics to Crucify the dead.

Many people can relate to the songs in different ways, for example you can relate that You're A lie is for Axl or it can be about your imaginary girlfriend who left you for another man.

Slash has good things to say about Axl and im sure Axl has also has some good things to say about Slash, but the problem with Axl is that he is too sensitive and holds a grudge for a very long time.

I wish they could be just friends again.

• Like 1

Marc,

Slash was playing at his peak during the 5 o clock somewhere era - I read after he released the album AXL wanted the songs back after he originally rejected them - Snakepit is pure bad ass playing and what GNR needed at that time - a kick in the ass back to playing raw hard rock - I love the album it still sounds fresh and killer ! my question is wtf was Axl thinking by rejecting these songs - Im a huge Axl fan but he dropped the ball on this one and basically the band broke up- Axl even mentioned in various interviews that he heard stuff Slash had come up with on the follow up to UYI at the time and it was mindblowing which turned out to be Snakepit and do you think some of the lyrics Slash wrote are directly towards AXL is something he can never get over ? anybody that is a original GNR fan will know the songs im talking about - and with Crucify the dead with Ozzy it pretty much tells the relationship they once had -

I think Slash was not at his peak back then. I think he is better now then ever and being sober has something to do with that.

What Axl wanted was 3 of the songs back because they were put together for GNR. When Slash came up with the songs, Axl really liked 3 of them but would have agreed to do 4 of them. Slash wanted all of none and then put together a solo project to get them out. I don't think Axl was wrong to reject the rest of the songs. I think Axl was looking to mix it up a bit. To do something that he thought would be really cool and a bit different. I guess Axl thought that a whole group of those songs would be going backwards and not evolving. I dont blame either one, I think if Axl would have agreed to do what Slash wanted then Axl would have sold out by doing something that he was not into and the same goes for Slash. They just didn't want to do what the other one wanted. I think they just needed some time apart to get out what they wanted to do. Maybe a year or 2 Maybe if Axl would have attempted a solo record, maybe Slash would have played on it? We vwill never know. I think Axl is proud of CD and how it turned out but I don't think it is what he set out to do. I think that Axl really wanted to make something great that involved Slash but when Slash was gone Axl had no choice but to move on and work with others. I think Axl did find great people to work and I love CD.

I do think that now they are very compatible at this point in time. Slash is much more open to working on songs that are not only hard rock. He has 7 records under his belt since then and has grown a lot as a guitar player. When I said they know they need eachother now in the Uproxx doc, I really meant that they know they can work together now and I think they have some unfinished business. I think they both know that they had something special and that there is more that can come from it. They have both proven that they can go out there without each other and do well but I think they will always know that there could have been some more really great things between them if they ever work out there problems that they had with each other. Hard to really say that all in one sound bite.

Edited by recklessroad
  • Like 3

Im not saying this as a fan of Slash, but Slash did the right thing in a way, he wanted his music to be out, Axl keeps on delaying things for god knows what reasons and a musician Slash or anyone wants their music out.

IF somehow they get back on to talking terms and record something, then I hope it eventually comes out and not that Axl keeps it in the vault.

Thnx Marc,

Great Insight as always- I agree Slash is better than ever - he just keeps getting better and I love that , I guess what I meant by being in his peak was after the UYI tour and Slash killing it at that time , I would have love to have heard Axl's take on his playing at that time- - as a fan we will always wonder what those two Slash and Axl would have come up with - thnx for your response !

Thnx Marc,

Great Insight as always- I agree Slash is better than ever - he just keeps getting better and I love that , I guess what I meant by being in his peak was after the UYI tour and Slash killing it at that time , I would have love to have heard Axl's take on his playing at that time- - as a fan we will always wonder what those two Slash and Axl would have come up with - thnx for your response !

I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith’s Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out.
- Axl on Slash's playing circa 1995/1996

Thnx Marc,

I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmiths Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out.

- Axl on Slash's playing circa 1995/1996

For my understanding he doesn't speak about the Snakepit stuff, right?

Marc,

I think Slash was not at his peak back then. I think he is better now then ever and being sober has something to do with that.

What Axl wanted was 3 of the songs back because they were put together for GNR. When Slash came up with the songs, Axl really liked 3 of them but would have agreed to do 4 of them. Slash wanted all of none and then put together a solo project to get them out. I don't think Axl was wrong to reject the rest of the songs. I think Axl was looking to mix it up a bit. To do something that he thought would be really cool and a bit different. I guess Axl thought that a whole group of those songs would be going backwards and not evolving. I dont blame either one, I think if Axl would have agreed to do what Slash wanted then Axl would have sold out by doing something that he was not into and the same goes for Slash. They just didn't want to do what the other one wanted. I think they just needed some time apart to get out what they wanted to do. Maybe a year or 2 Maybe if Axl would have attempted a solo record, maybe Slash would have played on it? We vwill never know. I think Axl is proud of CD and how it turned out but I don't think it is what he set out to do. I think that Axl really wanted to make something great that involved Slash but when Slash was gone Axl had no choice but to move on and work with others. I think Axl did find great people to work and I love CD.

I do think that now they are very compatible at this point in time. Slash is much more open to working on songs that are not only hard rock. He has 7 records under his belt since then and has grown a lot as a guitar player. When I said they know they need eachother now in the Uproxx doc, I really meant that they know they can work together now and I think they have some unfinished business. I think they both know that they had something special and that there is more that can come from it. They have both proven that they can go out there without each other and do well but I think they will always know that there could have been some more really great things between them if they ever work out there problems that they had with each other. Hard to really say that all in one sound bite.

Marc,

What are those 3 songs that Axl wanted for GnR?

Ozzy did not write the lyrics, Kevin Churko did.

Ozzy doesn't write lyrics...he comes up with vocal lines and the title, perhaps a word or two but he does not and never has written the lyrics for the songs he sings.

What Axl wanted was 3 of the songs back because they were put together for GNR. When Slash came up with the songs, Axl really liked 3 of them but would have agreed to do 4 of them. Slash wanted all of none and then put together a solo project to get them out. I don't think Axl was wrong to reject the rest of the songs. I think Axl was looking to mix it up a bit. To do something that he thought would be really cool and a bit different. I guess Axl thought that a whole group of those songs would be going backwards and not evolving.

I have to agree that Axl (and Duff? said he voted it down too?) made the right call in this instance.

Ozzy did not write the lyrics, Kevin Churko did.

Ozzy doesn't write lyrics...he comes up with vocal lines and the title, perhaps a word or two but he does not and never has written the lyrics for the songs he sings.

Thanks for telling, I din't know that.