GNR Jobs

izzy92

Hi Marc,

I've always been curious - how the heck did the guys survive in LA for as long as they did? All I ever read about are these classic rock n roll stories...Izzy making bracelets, Slash ditching a newsstand job, some of them working at Tower Video together. Is this really all there was? To be able to afford apartments anywhere in West Hollywood now is nearly impossible - was the scene that different in the 1980's to the point where they could work 10-15 hours a week and pay the bills? Did they get paid much for their gigs? How did they even get around? It's just mind-boggling to me....I feel like if you were to live in that area these days you'd have to work 50 hours a week just to get by. It's really fascinating.

Thanks!

Ryan

Duff did some telemarketing and Steven did some odd ball jobs. Duff was living with his girlfriend and the rest of the guys were staying all over the place. Where ever they ended up at the end of the night is where they stayed. The goal was to make it to the next gig, put together new songs and hope to get noticed so they could get theiir music out. They didn't get the apartment until after they were signed.

Did they ever asked you about getting them jobs at your deli? if they asked would you say Yes? or you would say No cause I assume they won't be capable or reliable to handle the job at your deli.

Did they ever asked you about getting them jobs at your deli? if they asked would you say Yes? or you would say No cause I assume they won't be capable or reliable to handle the job at your deli.

I created a job for Slash back in 1983 for a while. in 1985 I would have let them work for Canter's if the right job came up at the right time and they were able to work the hours that was needed to fill it. Sometimes it best not to hire a friend because things can go wrong at the job and then you my loose the friendship. I have hired a few friends over the years. The last one was about 10 years ago and he is still working there and doing a great job.

Marc,it's always hard to work with friends/family. My dad,two of my uncles and my brother work together and sometimes it gets pretty heated. Same with my aunt's little diner that she had,that was my grandmother's,which was the same way also lol.

It's hard to please a boss lol. And it's even harder when it's family and anything and everything seems to be going wrong and blowing up!