Can someone tell me about the song "the general"?

what was said? "you may have heard bits of it somewhere"

Starting as far back as 1999, Axl Rose told MTV that the new band had enough work to compose a double album and then in 2008, said that Guns N Roses had 32 songs they were working on. The General was one of many working album titles that Rose proposed but it was revealed by Rose's close friend Sebastian Bach that The General was originally intended to be the follow-up to the 1991 ballad "Estranged" and that it "had a heavy sound with screaming vocals." Chinese Democracy was released around this same time as the first in a trilogy of albums with the next slated for this year.

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/08/50-unreleased-albums-that-wed-kill-to-hear/guns-n-roses-the-general

I was reading online that this was a song Axl was working on and it was going to be a sequel to Estranged. Any truth to that?

Axl: Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to [Estranged], it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically [Metal Edge, June 2007].

Saying we've heard bits of live isn't saying anything. It could be the orchestral intro used before the gigs started, it could be part of Dizzy's solo, part of the solo robin did towards the end of 2006 and 2007, part of richards, part of BBF's solo. Could have been that guitar duet thing Bucket and Robin did at RIR 2001.

I was reading online that this was a song Axl was working on and it was going to be a sequel to Estranged. Any truth to that?

Axl: Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to [Estranged], it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically [Metal Edge, June 2007].

Thanks. Interesting to hear him comment on it. I really wish he'd release this stuff

According to MSL the vocals are the meanest and most heavy vocals we've heard from axl.

Who is MSL?

I've just received an encrypted legit insider email with a link to the song. It's glorious. It's about how no one is going to take Axl down, and how hard he has tried while everyone else has betrayed him. The guitar solo is about as badass as they come; I'm sure it's Bucket. Axl also does a voice I've never heard him do before. I can't wait to hear it again!

• Like 1

Saying we've heard bits of live isn't saying anything. It could be the orchestral intro used before the gigs started, it could be part of Dizzy's solo, part of the solo robin did towards the end of 2006 and 2007, part of richards, part of BBF's solo. Could have been that guitar duet thing Bucket and Robin did at RIR 2001.

I agree that the "you've heard bits of it" quote alone doesn't really tell very much. But someone once asked on the GNR twitter page, what the intro before Chinese Democracy is called and they answered that the most used intro is "the General"

So there's really no doubt that the intro that Amir just gave a link for is in fact The General.