Sound familiar? Does this give us any hope?

Read this in the most recent issue of Rolling Stone, from an interview with Tom Petty:

---Also in the works is an album built around material Petty recorded for 1994's Wildflowers, the Rick Rubin-produced solo disc that remains one of his most beloved LPs. "It's not really a box set," he says of the release. "We have the second album of the double album that was originally made. We're going to put it out as its own album. It's sitting there finished. I'm just waiting to hear when they're gonna put it out."---

When I read that I figured "eh, fuck it. If Tom Petty can wait 21 years to release the 'second half' of that record then maybe it isn't too late for CD2." Mind you, I understand the circumstances are a bit different, as Wildflowers never had the same degree of negative stigma associated with it as Chinese did, and that Petty released other records in between, but does reading that at least give you guys some sorta glimmer of hope?

Personally I think CD should've just been a double album when it was first released in 2008, but too late for that now. It's gotta be it's own record at this point, maybe with a completely different title entirely since the ChiDem title has become a bit of a joke now. If anything maybe stick the remix disc in there for a deluxe edition or something.

Thoughts?

Edited by rocknroll41

summarize your whole idea

If Petty can take 21 years to release "second half" of Wildflowers, is it ok that Axl hasn't released CD2 yet? And is there still a chance it could see the light of day? (Hopefully sooner than later) and if so, should it be promoted as "second half of chinese" or try to distance itself from that name?

• Like 1

I'm sure ChiDem2 is sitting finished someplace, or at least a good chunk of demos and outtakes

A big roadblock is likely label issues willing to release the material, given the weak sales of ChiDem1

If Axl wants to release the material he will. Just don't call it Chinese Democracy II. It's damn near impossible to bank off a failed sales model.

He could call the new album "I H8 Slash" and it would sell better. Just saying.

• Like 1

Read this in the most recent issue of Rolling Stone, from an interview with Tom Petty:

---Also in the works is an album built around material Petty recorded for 1994's Wildflowers, the Rick Rubin-produced solo disc that remains one of his most beloved LPs. "It's not really a box set," he says of the release. "We have the second album of the double album that was originally made. We're going to put it out as its own album. It's sitting there finished. I'm just waiting to hear when they're gonna put it out."---

When I read that I figured "eh, fuck it. If Tom Petty can wait 21 years to release the 'second half' of that record then maybe it isn't too late for CD2." Mind you, I understand the circumstances are a bit different, as Wildflowers never had the same degree of negative stigma associated with it as Chinese did, and that Petty released other records in between, but does reading that at least give you guys some sorta glimmer of hope?

Personally I think CD should've just been a double album when it was first released in 2008, but too late for that now. It's gotta be it's own record at this point, maybe with a completely different title entirely since the ChiDem title has become a bit of a joke now. If anything maybe stick the remix disc in there for a deluxe edition or something.

Thoughts?

First of all, I had no idea Petty was doing this. I'm excited by that news.

Second, I agree with your idea as a whole.

No not CD 2. I don't understand why Axl even named it CD at all? Still puzzled by it.

I'm sure all this time, Axl has been writing songs, but if we get to hear them that's a big mystery.

I honestly don't care about any music that was done or recorded years ago. Unless Axl records it again with new members of GNR, it doesn't make sense to release any music that is older than 3 or more years.

Axl being the songwriter that he is, I have to think he's somewhere writing or coming up with new ideas for new songs. If not, then what's the point?

Maybe Axl feels he's said all there is to say musically.

summarize your whole idea

If Petty can take 21 years to release "second half" of Wildflowers, is it ok that Axl hasn't released CD2 yet? And is there still a chance it could see the light of day? (Hopefully sooner than later) and if so, should it be promoted as "second half of chinese" or try to distance itself from that name?

1. no.TomPetty released these albums since 1994. Axl released one album

2. yeah, it would see the light of day when Axl dies at the very least. On a more positive prophecy: 2017-18 maybe

3. If Axl rekeases it under a different name than CD he still won't be able to distain himself from his wasted years. It's too late for that

Edited by Strange Broue

The label will want a different name. Seems like Axl never really saw it as having a title like CD but it could be seen as another album coming out of the same era of recording.

Im all for the umbrella to be CD and re-release having both remix and second half of CD material. Thats just for forumers i guess. The label will want to milk it better or just wait and hope for a reunion but they may not even care about that anymore either.

But maybe its worth its own title and own release. Will be seen as potentially Axl's last release. Dont Coda it at the finish line. LA Woman the shit out it.

The label will want a different name. Seems like Axl never really saw it as having a title like CD but it could be seen as another album coming out of the same era of recording.

Operation Mindcrime II came out a decade after the first?

Edited by wasted

I'm sure ChiDem2 is sitting finished someplace, or at least a good chunk of demos and outtakes

A big roadblock is likely label issues willing to release the material, given the weak sales of ChiDem1

It sold very well for what it was. The only roadblock is Axl himself.

It was way below sales expectations from the label though, can't say if they made back even close to what was spent into production costs

Axl could take a lesson from Bucket and release material on Bandcamp :awesomeface:

It was way below sales expectations from the label though, can't say if they made back even close to what was spent into production costs

Axl could take a lesson from Bucket and release material on Bandcamp :awesomeface:

What were the label expectations? Haven't they got their money back from the Best Buy deal anyway?

Thoughts?

First of all, I had no idea Petty was doing this. I'm excited by that news.

Second, I agree with your idea as a whole.

That's cool Petty news, should have put that in the title, I almost didn't read it. I'm pretty stoked to hear it.

What were the label expectations? Haven't they got their money back from the Best Buy deal anyway?

They only really got their money back because Best Buy bought all of them individually and got stuck with the bill. They might not have a plan for round 2. I can see Axl not being down for a cheaper, more low profile release that the label may be pushing.

Who the hell knows though? At the same time the label would probably love to release a new GNR album.

I'm cautiously optimistic when it comes to CDII (or whatever it will be called). They're gonna release it someday, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

They can shove that remix album up their asses, though.

Edited by jekylhyde

I'm cautiously optimistic when it comes to CDII (or whatever it will be called). They're gonna release it someday, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

They can shove that remix album up their asses, though.

Alt. TIL would be worth it though, that is if it isn't on CDII.

As for OP, I can see how it relates in terms of previously unreleased material finally seeing the light of day. But Axl has, presumably, been tweaking some of the songs for much of that time ( or re-sequencing the album at least ).