Marc, do you know if Slash used to record his ideas for riffs and licks when GNR started (or even before that)

ludurigan

That actually blows my mind. As a guitarist, I usually have to record the idea, or I'll most likely forget it. I might remember the notes, but the rhythm of the notes would probably not be the same. Jimmy Page used to record everything... it's essentially how Stairway was written - a bunch of parts put together.

When you consider songs like Coma, Estranged, Nov. Rain, the main Locomotive solo.... just pure brilliance.

No, it was all in his head. Even the guitar solos that he would rip out the first time the band would do a new song would be the solo that he remembered and kept for most of the songs.

so when he came up with something that he found great (like a riff, or a lick) then he would keep playing it a lot of times until he memorized it?

That actually blows my mind. As a guitarist, I usually have to record the idea, or I'll most likely forget it. I might remember the notes, but the rhythm of the notes would probably not be the same. Jimmy Page used to record everything... it's essentially how Stairway was written - a bunch of parts put together.

When you consider songs like Coma, Estranged, Nov. Rain, the main Locomotive solo.... just pure brilliance.

Yes but keep in mind that Axl's vocals would influence him to Come up with something magical.

Yes but keep in mind that Axl's vocals would influence him to Come up with something magical.

That's very interesting, didn't know that. Could I ask you to clarify a bit?

Would Axl bring in lyrics and a vocal melody, and just rip it into the mic, and then Slash would start playing behind it?

Or would Slash have a sort of skeleton idea, play it, then Axl brings in his bit, and Slash changes the riffs a bit to better fit the vocals/sound better overall?

Or a mix of both, or some other method?

I didn't mean to insinuate you held any info back, . As a guitar player who writes songs with a band, I find the process interesting.

From what I remember the few times that I saw them working on a song is that they would somehow work out the arangments and then when they would take a run through it, Slash would just rip out a solo in his solo spot that would just fit. I have heard Duff talk more about that in his speech at Guitar Center when Slash put his hands in the cement in 2007.

Edited by recklessroad
  • Like 1