Reading Slash's comments on writing his stuff for Estranged is heartbreaking

Use Your Illusion II's liner notes thank lead guitarist Slash for "the killer guitar melodies", which captured Axl Rose's vision. Slash has specifically stated that recording the guitar parts for this song was very intensive for him; he recorded it using a Les Paul Gold Top, using the rhythm pickup with the tone turned all the way down.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estranged_%28song%29

Man, he really cared and put so much effort into helping bring to life the vision Axl had for the song. It really makes this line from Estranged hauntingly ironic;

I'll never find anyone to replace you
Guess I'll have to make it through, this time - oh this time
Without you

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 1

Estranged is one of the all time best GNR songs ever!

The whole song is amazing and lets every GNR member shine. Fantastic song.

It's interesting to me how UYI II, in a way, ends with Estranged. Or at least it's the grand finale even though three more tracks follow. You Could Be Mine (while awesome) was sort of old news since it had been released earlier for Terminator 2, Don't Cry (this is awesome too, can't decide which version I like more) is just alternative lyrics for a song from UYI I, and My World is more like an outro than a song

Estranged is one of the all time best GNR songs ever!

The whole song is amazing and lets every GNR member shine. Fantastic song.

One of the best songs ever :headbang:

Slash understood how to play or make a sound that was in line with the feelings Axl was portraying in the lyrics. They did a really good job of playing off each other in terms of being in sync with what the feeling of the song would be.

They just brought out the best in each other. Estranged is a great example of that

Slash understood how to play or make a sound that was in line with the feelings Axl was portraying in the lyrics. They did a really good job of playing off each other in terms of being in sync with what the feeling of the song would be.

They just brought out the best in each other. Estranged is a great example of that

Coma too

Use Your Illusion II's liner notes thank lead guitarist Slash for "the killer guitar melodies", which captured Axl Rose's vision. Slash has specifically stated that recording the guitar parts for this song was very intensive for him; he recorded it using a Les Paul Gold Top, using the rhythm pickup with the tone turned all the way down.[1]

This part isn't exactly true. For those who care about these topics, he may have done it for the last 2 solos but for the begining lead parts with that great feedback it was certainly the bridge pickup. He had his guitar signal split into 2 amps: one was the Marshall that you hear on the recording that was in the studio room and another one was a Mesa Boogie with the gain cranked and with the speaker right in front of him, so that it would easely create all that great feedback; of course on the recording you only hear the Marshall. In those days there weren't devices like a Sustainer around.

As for the rest, I'm sure Slash gave his best effort and that Axl recognizes it, that's why he thanks him as well on the Making F*** Videos Part IV where he talks about it. No need to start another Axl vs Slash thread with this motive which is a great song.

Edited by Klay
  • Like 1

This part isn't exactly true. For those who care about these topics, he may have done it for the last 2 solos but for the begining lead parts with that great feedback it was certainly the bridge pickup. He had his guitar signal split into 2 amps: one was the Marshall that you hear on the recording that was in the studio room and another one was a Mesa Boogie with the gain cranked and with the speaker right in front of him, so that it would easely create all that great feedback; of course on the recording you only hear the Marshall. In those days there weren't devices like a Sustainer around.

As for the rest, I'm sure Slash gave his best effort and that Axl recognizes it, that's why he thanks him as well on the Making F*** Videos Part IV where he talks about it. No need to start another Axl vs Slash thread with this motive which is a great song.

That wasn't my intention or motive. I was lamenting their falling out. Not placing blame on either individual

100% true
  • Like 4