Les Paul (Thanks for the help!)

After having various Epiphone Les Pauls for years, I'm thinking it's time to just get a real Gibson.

I've been looking around and I think I like the 2013 Signature T:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Signature-T.aspx

Would anyone here happen to have any thoughts on that model?

ZoSo owns a 2013 Sig T. He loves it. May want to PM him or contact on Facebook as he said he isn't going to check the forum for a few weeks.

I don't really know much about Gibson after 2008 when they discontinued the Classic, and introduced a billion more models. Klay's pretty knowledgeable.

• Like 2

ZoSo owns a 2013 Sig T. He loves it. May want to PM him or contact on Facebook as he said he isn't going to check the forum for a few weeks.

I don't really know much about Gibson after 2008 when they discontinued the Classic, and introduced a billion more models. Klay's pretty knowledgeable.

Wow, I didn't know ZoSo owns one. I'll hit him up on fb and get some details. Thanks!

Buy an 80's or 90's standard. Gibson still gave a fuck and you get it at a used price. You could get one for like 1300-1500 bucks. Even better yet, buy a Tokai, Burny, or Greco. Some Aria Pros as well. Those are every bit as good as any Gibson you can find and they'll be like 800 after shipping from Japan.

Edited by AxlisOld

Been attempting a forum break cause ive been so busy, but that isnt working lol

I have a Sig T and I love it. Want to play mine? We live like 15 minutes away. I can bring it to you or whatever

That'd be fn sweet. If you came to a Friday music night and brought it with you, I wouldnt be mad at you!

I am, although the 2015s are meh for the price

When I started to look into LPs last week, I thought the same thing about the 2015. I ended up doing some digging and that's how I came across info on the 2013 Ts

Buy an 80's or 90's standard. Gibson still gave a fuck and you get it at a used price. You could get one for like 1300-1500 bucks. Even better yet, buy a Tokai, Burny, or Greco. Some Aria Pros as well. Those are every bit as good as any Gibson you can find and they'll be like 800 after shipping from Japan.

I keep kicking around looking for an older one. Everything I've seen so far suggests that people feel the 80s and 90s one are worth more on the used market though.

P.S.

Thank you to everyone for responded. My guitar knowledge is fairly limited so I always appreciate any and all help.

Weirdly enough, I just ordered a Gibson 2013 Signature T last week. Should be with me by the end of the week. Looks like a beaut! Can't wait to play it.

I ordered mine with the Min-E Tuner. Never used one before and I know some people find them a bit lazy/gimmicky, but after years of playing with a Floyd Rose where you have to unscrew the nuts every time you want to re-tune, I thought "fuck it."

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

Weirdly enough, I just ordered a Gibson 2013 Signature T last week. Should be with me by the end of the week. Looks like a beaut! Can't wait to play it.

I ordered mine with the Min-E Tuner. Never used one before and I know some people find them a bit lazy/gimmicky, but after years of playing with a Floyd Rose where you have to unscrew the nuts every time you want to re-tune, I thought "fuck it."

Wow. Pretty cool that you and ZoSo have experience with the exact one I'm looking into. What color did you get btw? I'm seriously thinking about that Alpine White.

edit-

I currenly have 2 guitars, one of which is the Red EVH Striped Series that has a locking trem. SUCH a pain in the ass!

Wow. Pretty cool that you and ZoSo have experience with the exact one I'm looking into. What color did you get btw? I'm seriously thinking about that Alpine White.

edit-

I currenly have 2 guitars, one of which is the Red EVH Striped Series that has a locking trem. SUCH a pain in the ass!

I got the ebony. The Alpine White looks nice from a distance, but close up the design looks a mess, didn't like it at all.

It was supposed to be with me last week and the shipment got delayed but I've been promised "end of the week" so I'm holding out for that.

I already have a Jackson Floyd Rose which I consider my shred guitar. I made some modifications, drilled on a killswitch onto the body, changed the pickups and it sounds awesome playing Buckethead/Bumblefoot heavy shred type stuff or anything metal. But it doesn't really cut the mustard doing more classic rock or soulful stuff. I had a Fender strat before that, which was cool for the funky stuff, but I didn't like how it sounded doing the rockier stuff, unless you're playing heavy-distortion Hendrix-esque material. The reason I chose the Signature T is because of the cool push/pull tone switches. It struck me as a very versatile guitar. I want something that I can solo on, but also play some more funk/jazz/soul/rock type stuff and this seemed like the perfect choice. Something that can sound equally as good playing the RHCP as it does GNR.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

edit-

I got the ebony. The Alpine White looks nice from a distance, but close up the design looks a mess, didn't like it at all.

It was supposed to be with me last week and the shipment got delayed but I've been promised "end of the week" so I'm holding out for that.

I already have a Jackson Floyd Rose which I consider my shred guitar. I made some modifications, drilled on a killswitch onto the body, changed the pickups and it sounds awesome playing Buckethead/Bumblefoot heavy shred type stuff or anything metal. But it doesn't really cut the mustard doing more classic rock or soulful stuff. I had a Fender strat before that, which was cool for the funky stuff, but I didn't like how it sounded doing the rockier stuff, unless you're playing heavy-distortion Hendrix-esque material. The reason I chose the Signature T is because of the cool push/pull tone switches. It struck me as a very versatile guitar. I want something that I can solo on, but also play some more funk/jazz/soul/rock type stuff and this seemed like the perfect choice. Something that can sound equally as good playing the RHCP as it does GNR.

I was curious about the Alpine White for just that reason. I've only seen pics online and nothing in person so I was curious how I'd feel about it in person.

Having said all of that, I saw something else I liked a great deal today: LP Traditional Pro II. Seems like a pretty rad ass guitar for the money. I actually ran into ZoSo at GC where I had to remind him that we'd met in the past! :lol: He was telling me the Trad Pro II is extremely similar to the Sig T.

He's gonna bring his Sig T over to my crib soon so I can check it out for a bit. I really can't see either guitar being a bad choice.

edit-

I was curious about the Alpine White for just that reason. I've only seen pics online and nothing in person so I was curious how I'd feel about it in person.

Having said all of that, I saw something else I liked a great deal today: LP Traditional Pro II. Seems like a pretty rad ass guitar for the money. I actually ran into ZoSo at GC where I had to remind him that we'd met in the past! :lol: He was telling me the Trad Pro II is extremely similar to the Sig T.

He's gonna bring his Sig T over to my crib soon so I can check it out for a bit. I really can't see either guitar being a bad choice.

I made a post in The Gear Thread a few months ago about a few Gibsons I played at GC. Other than the 58RI I played, the 2013 Trad Pro II's were the best Gibsons on the shelves, and a few of them were even pretty close to the 58RI.

If you are interested in watching the used markets (Craigslist, MLP.com, RigTalk, TGP, etc.), these guitars can be found for ~$1500 or less, often with wiring/cap upgrades or different pick ups, though I do like the BB3 in the bridge. I don't like the 57C in the bridge, but I've never played the 57C+ which is what the Sig T comes with.

Edited by OmarBradley

I have a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus and the thing is truly beautiful. The 500/496 pick-up combination makes me salivate every time I have the chance to crank it. I was lucky to get a steal on it a couple of years ago so I couldn't resist. Otherwise, I was going to hunt down an older Classic (I too had decided the time was right to upgrade to a Gibson).

I'm not a fan of the newer Standards. Too many additional push-pulls and other stuff that isn't really needed (and more that can go wrong with the electronics and/or signal). The Traditional series is the closest current offering of the Classic, but at that I'd still say search for a used Classic or older Standard. I'd love to get an early nineties Standard one day.

• Like 1

edit-

You gonna get raped.

• Like 2

I have a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus and the thing is truly beautiful. The 500/496 pick-up combination makes me salivate every time I have the chance to crank it. I was lucky to get a steal on it a couple of years ago so I couldn't resist. Otherwise, I was going to hunt down an older Classic (I too had decided the time was right to upgrade to a Gibson).

I'm not a fan of the newer Standards. Too many additional push-pulls and other stuff that isn't really needed (and more that can go wrong with the electronics and/or signal). The Traditional series is the closest current offering of the Classic, but at that I'd still say search for a used Classic or older Standard. I'd love to get an early nineties Standard one day.

The push/push coil split is actually one of the things drawing me to the Trad Pro II. I grew up loving the standard single coil Strat sound. So it seems with the push/push coil split, I can get every tone I want to out of the Trad Pro II.

The push/push coil split is actually one of the things drawing me to the Trad Pro II. I grew up loving the standard single coil Strat sound. So it seems with the push/push coil split, I can get every tone I want to out of the Trad Pro II.

I had a 2005 Classic that I really liked. The ceramics were a bit too hot for me though, but YMMV. Basically, play a bunch and see what you like best. When you're talking about $1800+ guitars, it usually comes down to preference rather than "this model is better than that model."

The early 90's as Bond pointed out were a sort of second Golden Age for quality with Gibson, people generally consider 1990 - 1993 to be the desirable years. Some say there was another smaller Golden Age from 98 - 03 or so, but there are good and great guitars from every Gibson era so don't get hung up on year too much (not that you were, sort of just rambling now :lol: ). You really only start to find "meh" ones post 2008 IMO.

The Trad Pro II also comes with a dB boost as one of the push/pull knobs, I think it's either +6 or +10, can't remember.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

Awesome Russ, nice looking guitar, looks a bit like my old Classic. Now let's get you a nice tube amp.

Funny you should mention that...

I was just talking about needing to do that next. I have a solid state half stack currently, but I'd love to get a smaller tube amp that just screams.

Awesome Russ, nice looking guitar, looks a bit like my old Classic. Now let's get you a nice tube amp.

Funny you should mention that...

I was just talking about needing to do that next. I have a solid state half stack currently, but I'd love to get a smaller tube amp that just screams.

What sort of stuff do you play? 60's/70's classic rock w/ some 80s and bluesy/pop stuff (my guess from your posts :P)?