Collecting Band Merchandise

Black Sabbath

Outside of just basic discographies, GN'R is the only band I somewhat obsessively collect things for (I say somewhat because it's still pretty much just music, not really shirts or posters or "stuff", although I have some kinda random things). GNR have their own sections in my CD and record collections; I have around 70 CD's, 30 LP's and 10-12 7" singles. And I've got some things like residency (staff) shirts, pins, Tommy's shot glass from Calgary 2010 (the band did tequila shots after the bow at the end).

Other than Guns, I've got a small Cradle of Filth collection (a couple of rare t-shirts and some limited edition albums basically).

I own somewhere around 35-40 Buckethead albums but that's not even a 1/4 of his releases :lol:

Yeah, I guess you could say I've got my fair share of Maiden stuff - over 100 tour shirts alone :lol:

The other bands I seriously collect stuff from are GN'R, Anthrax, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

GN'R I'm not as diehard with my collection as some here, but some of the highlights of my collection are a sealed copy of the Live Era LP, a 2011 setlist signed by BBF and Tommy, a No Trickery staff shirt, and a No Trickery poster signed by BBF (With a note thanking me for all my pictures :)).

Anthrax I've got a somewhat sizable collection, but it's a lot of unique stuff since I know the guys in the band pretty well. Highlights include used drumheads from Charlie and Joey (Both signed, respectively), 4 shirts worn onstage by Scott Ian (Including two custom-made for him - I'm the only person in the world with those shirts besides him), one shirt worn onstage by Charlie, Scott Ian's Jackson ATL Soloist (Signed by Scott, only 100 produced), loads of picks and setlists, and a bunch of really cool VIP passes I've gotten for gigs.

For the Bosstones, there's not nearly as much stuff to collect, but the upside is their stuff is usually pretty affordable (Besides the records, that is) even if it's really hard to track down. I've gotten a vintage (Like, '92 I think) shirt for $5, and those kinds of prices aren't unusual for their memorabilia.

Acquired in my teenage metal days,

Ozzy Osbourne signed 8 by 10 which a member of Ozzy's inner circle (the father of his touring manager or something or other) obtained for me.

Metallica signed 8 by 10 and signed Lars Ulrich drumsticks, both of which were won in a competition with Metal Hammer, an UK heavy metal magazine, circa 1996. I also got a load of other stuff with this prize including VIP stickers and plectrums.

Signed Metallica CD Single by James and Jason, acquired personally.

Signed Axl 8 by 10 from 1999 which might be real but might also be a fake (who knows?). I do have the authenticating certificate but I once read that certificates are only as good as the company and person that has issued and signed it. I could theoretical create a certificate and sign it! Might be a fake but I didn't pay much for it anyhow.

Probably about twenty or so t-shirts that I have acquired over the years.

I also have some rare records such as Beatles originals in mono (With the Beatles; Beatles for Sale). I have Yellow Submarine in mono which would fetch a few hundred quid on the market. I have Led Zeppelin III with the wheel and Physical Graffiti with the windows. I also have the original Garage Days, et al, e.g. Metallica 12'' (UK) such as Eye of the Beholder EP and Jump in the Fire - these all have unique 'metally' artwork featuring skulls.

PS

I have a load of Iron Maiden original vinyl from their heyday. I used to love the album covers when I was a kid. I must go through them and see what ones I have.

PPS

I have Steve Davis' (Snooker player) autograph, acquired by my granddad in person. Beat that?

I'm a pretty big autograph collector. I've got a pretty solid collection of bands/musicians: 8x10 signed by the original Sabbath lineup, photo signed by Axl Bumble and Dj, photos from much of the E Street Band, books signed by Ozzy, Ace Frehley, Pete Seeger, and Nikki Sixx, two books and a picture signed by Patti Smith, a signed photo of Twisted Sister, a couple Buddy Guy posters, a photo signed by all of Spinal Tap... It's a long list, you get the idea.

Edited by axlslash

I have Ozzy's signature, a fair few (worn to rags) shirts and posters from back in the day and I have a KISS coffee mug at work.

I used to have a leather jacket with the classic GNR bullet logo on the back, pretty much the same as Axl wore in one of the AFD filmclips (Sweet Child O Mine?)

Also have the collection of Pink Floyd The Wall figures and The Wall Immersion boxed set.

I appreciate people's passion for all that stuff, but I just couldn't be fucked.

I have Ozzy's signature, a fair few (worn to rags) shirts and posters from back in the day and I have a KISS coffee mug at work.

I used to have a leather jacket with the classic GNR bullet logo on the back, pretty much the same as Axl wore in one of the AFD filmclips (Sweet Child O Mine?)

Also have the collection of Pink Floyd The Wall figures and The Wall Immersion boxed set.

I appreciate people's passion for all that stuff, but I just couldn't be fucked.

Yeah, I can't imagine spending that much money on the sort of historical collection stuff. Short of an instrument, drum sticks, a guitar pick... I have no interest in going out and finding the Japanese pressing of this record or the misprinted liner notes from that record. Amazing collections people can put together, but I don't have the patience and I'd much rather spend that cash on going to a show.

It is all crap really and you discover you have wasted a significant portion of your time.

That could be said for pretty much anything.

And is equally true.

When "you're" paying good money to keep said collection in storage (boxed up, not to be seen, used or played) "you" might agree.

It is all crap really and you discover you have wasted a significant portion of your time.

That could be said for pretty much anything.

I guess it all comes down to whether you enjoy doing it. I think it has something to do with your reason for stopping, if you ever do. Whether you stop because you dont see the point anymore or you stop because you find yourself having to prioritise other things, people that do the former tend to go 'well that was a waste of fucking time' whereas the latter tend to go 'well that was fun while it lasted'.