Death Threat, Or Not?

MrPoe

I'm currently in a debate on another forum about what constitutes a death threat.

Over on a KISS forum, the daily argument continues as to why Peter Criss and Ace Frehley are no longer in the band. I threw my two cents in and said the death threat Peter Criss issued in his autobiography alone would ban him for life from KISS if I ran it.

Then I gave these examples:

"I was harboring immense anger toward Gene, Paul, and Doc. I even fantasized about packing a gun and taking a plane to L.A. and shooting the three cocksuckers."
PETER CRISS: MAKEUP TO BREAKUP Chapter 23, pg. 337, hardcover.
"I regret the loss of my makeup to this day. So is it any wonder that I was ready to go out to L.A. and do damage to Gene, and Paul and Doc?"
PETER CRISS: MAKEUP TO BREAKUP Chapter 23, pg. 338, hardcover.
I'm told by a few there that I have no idea what a death threat is, and what I provided above is not in fact, a death threat.
Thoughts?

Not really a death threat, a death threat is where you express an existing desire to end someones life, thats the threat aspect, that it might actually happen. Also a threat requires issuing before it is a threat otherwise it's kinda harboured sentiment. Furthermore, based on the fact that it's all past tense and he doesn't feel this way currently there's really no threat being issued. I mean i understand why you might say they have reason to be a little unnerved but if you were to take it word for word in terms of what it means, no, thats not a death threat, a death threat is 'i'm coming to kill you' not 'remember that time you was a proper cunt to me? I really wanted to kill you'.

P.S. Kiss are shite.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Not really a death threat, a death threat is where you express an existing desire to end someones life, thats the threat aspect, that it might actually happen. Also a threat requires issuing before it is a threat otherwise it's kinda harboured sentiment. Furthermore, based on the fact that it's all past tense and he doesn't feel this way currently there's really no threat being issued. I mean i understand why you might say they have reason to be a little unnerved but if you were to take it word for word in terms of what it means, no, thats not a death threat, a death threat is 'i'm coming to kill you' not 'remember that time you was a proper cunt to me? I really wanted to kill you'.

P.S. Kiss are shite.

FLMAO!!! Love it!

Understood. I guess it's how you take it then, If that were said in reference to me, I'd have nothing more to do with that person.

P.S. Kiss are shite.

FLMAO!!! Love it!

Understood. I guess it's how you take it then, If that were said in reference to me, I'd have nothing more to do with that person.

Nor would I but it still don't make it a death threat. People get all pedantic about this shit, in a court of law that wouldn't be called a death threat. Think about it, you wouldn't write a book with death threats in it, the publishing house wouldn't stand for it, would they? Peoples lawyers tend to read over this kinda thing, tap em over the shoulder and go 'i don't think we should publish this, it might spoil your summer'.

Edited by Len B'stard

Yeah, I mean "death threat" and "enough to justify cutting that person out of your life" aren't the same thing. This is totally worth the old cold shoulder for. "I seriously contemplated killing you" is scary, but not the same as a threat, which is more "I have a gun and am going to kill you." Both are bad, but only one is a threat.

But Len's right. Fuck KISS.

• Like 1

Yeah it sounds like he was just expressing feelings that he had at the time. It all sounds past tense.

Granted I haven't read the book. At any point later on does he express that he no longer feels that way or that he would be willing to make an attempt to be reasonable?

I think either way it's not a death threat. Just some dude from KISS who's all mad and retrospectively being dramatic.

And as far as legality goes, Len nailed it. If it legally constituted a death threat the publishers, editors, and lawyers wouldn't have let it through. The reason that they let what he said through was because it was totally legal, controversial, would get their fans riled up, and would boost book sales.

I wouldn't blame the other members for not inviting him back, he sounds like a dumb over dramatic dickhead. Again though, if he makes a point to clarify that he no longer feels that way, and is open to the possibility of rekindling their friendship, then that's a different story.

And yeah, like others have said, KISS blows.

Edited by Dan H.

I'm currently in a debate on another forum about what constitutes a death threat.

Over on a KISS forum, the daily argument continues as to why Peter Criss and Ace Frehley are no longer in the band. I threw my two cents in and said the death threat Peter Criss issued in his autobiography alone would ban him for life from KISS if I ran it.

Then I gave these examples:

"I was harboring immense anger toward Gene, Paul, and Doc. I even fantasized about packing a gun and taking a plane to L.A. and shooting the three cocksuckers."
PETER CRISS: MAKEUP TO BREAKUP Chapter 23, pg. 337, hardcover.
"I regret the loss of my makeup to this day. So is it any wonder that I was ready to go out to L.A. and do damage to Gene, and Paul and Doc?"
PETER CRISS: MAKEUP TO BREAKUP Chapter 23, pg. 338, hardcover.
I'm told by a few there that I have no idea what a death threat is, and what I provided above is not in fact, a death threat.
Thoughts?

he probably did not mean it literally....

not a big deal, imho

Btw i like KISS forums, because they criticise their idols on a daily basis and calling out all of the (former) members if they are dicks without a fanboy bias

"I regret the loss of my make-up" is the campest way I've heard anyone describe feeling about leaving a band.

It not a death threat because you can't really threaten someone retrospectively. It's like telling your girlfriend you were thinking about washing the dishes last night but never got round to it and then expecting a blow job :lol:

It was because both Peter and Ace were drug and alcohol addicts and both Gene and Paul didn't tolerate having band members like that.

Even after they got back together after the acoustic show on MTV, they both continued to do drugs and drink. Now of course they are sober, but it's too late for both of them.

Where they sober when they got big?

You know that's an excellent question. Not sure, but I would think so since Gene and Paul have never tolerated drugs or drinking. I guess in the beginning all was cool until they made it really BIG and then get addicted to drugs and when Peter missed some music sessions that's when they fired him.

It's sad really because Peter was a very good drummer and Ace is a great guitar player, but their addictions got the best of them. Now I think Ace and Gene don't get along at all, so I doubt he and Peter would ever be hired back.

I also feel that if Eric had lived he would still be the drummer for KISS. He died too young. Such a shame. I knew his mom back in the day. She owned a dress shop near my house. Eric would visit her from time to time. then she retired and he bought her a home on Long Island.

I read Criss's book so I should know. I think he had slready been bands and smoked weed and drinking when they came to him play at his gangster haunt. He was kind of already a rock star. Gene was straight from the beginning but a bit of a disgusting sex addict. Criss reminded me of Adler in a way but also Duff in that he was seasoned campaigner when gene and paul found him. To me it seems G and S were using the drug thing against Criss and Ace to pay them less. Gene used them to make a reunion money.