Is this the best performance of Welcome To The Jungle?

Axl was in great vocal form in 1988 but I think he wasn't able to control it in this performance, it became a little bit all over the place, like he was to too psyched or something.

That's how GNR is supposed to be : out of control and wild, that's why they were called the most dangerous band in the world. That performance is absolutely awesome. Edited by IZZYISGNR
  • Like 2

Every time I go back to this video, I can't help but think to myself that this is the best performance I've watched/listened to. Everything about it is great.

Yes, yeah, fucking A.

This clip is a prime example why I can only LOL at people saying how any version of this band that followed is better.

Steven's drums, Duff and Izzy's BV's...thw whole thing, it just fucking rocks.

Sure Axl isn't perfect, but he's positively beastly and this kind of thing is why we still love him.

You can tell his voice was in good shape, but he's not making good use of it at all here I think. Probably cause the song was played too fast.

Honestly, I prefer the 2006 or 2010 versions. He reaches higher notes and has longer and technically better screams.

Edited by Guns n' Swedes

Axl was in great vocal form in 1988 but I think he wasn't able to control it in this performance, it became a little bit all over the place, like he was to too psyched or something.

That's how GNR is supposed to be : out of control and wild

That's one of the things I really enjoyed with Axl, but not in those cases where the vocals suffered too much as a consequence of it.

Its a great performance for sure. The whole band plays like they have something to prove.

I think Axl sounded better in 1987, but we don't have proshot video of those performance. Listen to him at the The Marquee Club show in London. Its amazing.

After watching that (for the millionth time) all I can say is that anybody on this board not in favor of a reunion is a massive tool. I know it's not 1988 anymore, but there would be such an energy to seeing a reunion that would make it far better than any performances since 1993. I know some folks would rather have new music, but seeing the REAL guns n roses play jungle again is worth more to me than any nugnr or Slash album. It just is...

• Like 3

After watching that (for the millionth time) all I can say is that anybody on this board not in favor of a reunion is a massive tool. I know it's not 1988 anymore, but there would be such an energy to seeing a reunion that would make it far better than any performances since 1993. I know some folks would rather have new music, but seeing the REAL guns n roses play jungle again is worth more to me than any nugnr or Slash album. It just is...

No one is denying that "it just is" to you. It isn't to me, but different strokes and all that. I certainly won't call you a "massive tool" for having a different opinion than me :shrugs:.

Personally I think that watching that clip only makes me want a reunion LESS. Not because I don't think they would be able to deliver a good performance of the song, I think they would, but because the song comes with a certain attitude and context that simply isn't there anymore. Old, bloated, rich guys playing a song they wrote in their twenties about the hardships of their lives and a city that now has changed, just is so remote from that performance in 1988 that it might as well be some other guys playing it. I grew up in the 80s and I think we should let it rest. I understand that people who grew up later and have only heard GN'R music disconnected from the circumstances when it was written and performed fresh, might not get it. But I honestly prefer other guys playing the songs, and adding something new to them, than rehashing the past and knowing you will come short from what once was. So if I have to choose between a nostalgia reunion tour that I know will be a shadow of what it once was, or the guys running other projects and releasing new music, then I will always take the latter.

No one is denying that "it just is" to you. It isn't to me, but different strokes and all that. I certainly won't call you a "massive tool" for having a different opinion than me :shrugs:.

Personally I think that watching that clip only makes me want a reunion LESS. Not because I don't think they would be able to deliver a good performance of the song, I think they would, but because the song comes with a certain attitude and context that simply isn't there anymore. Old, bloated, rich guys playing a song they wrote in their twenties about the hardships of their lives and a city that now has changed, just is so remote from that performance in 1988 that it might as well be some other guys playing it. I grew up in the 80s and I think we should let it rest. I understand that people who grew up later and have only heard GN'R music disconnected from the circumstances when it was written and performed fresh, might not get it. But I honestly prefer other guys playing the songs, and adding something new to them, than rehashing the past and knowing you will come short from what once was. So if I have to choose between a nostalgia reunion tour that I know will be a shadow of what it once was, or the guys running other projects and releasing new music, then I will always take the latter.

I respect your opinion and all, but really? You would rather have nununugnr than guns n roses? I don't know how you can honestly call yourself a guns n roses fan if that's really how you feel. Listen, I liked the nu lineups and I like CD. But I became a fan of this band called guns n roses, and they haven't honestly existed since 1993. So yes I would MUCH rather have that band playing their songs as opposed to nununugnr playing mostly classic gnr songs and a few buckethead\finck songs.

I've been around for all of this stuff too, I'm no newbie. Hell I remember reading your posts back on newgnr.com 10 years ago. 10 years ago I wanted CD, I wanted new music from Axl. I honestly didn't care who was in the band, I just wanted music. But now, my opinion has changed. I'd much rather have a reunion even if that means Axl never release another album.

Honestly here is the bottom line, a guns n roses fan wants a reunion. An Axl Rose fan wants a new album. That's the difference.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

I respect your opinion and all, but really? You would rather have nununugnr than guns n roses?

Yes, absolutely. I much more prefer the prospect of new music and great live shows, which I believe comes with what we have now, than a pure nostalgia trip of people in their 50s trying to recreate the splendour of their youth. I am all for new experiences and things. GN'R was amazing; I accept the present form in that statement.

I respect your opinion and all, but really? You would rather have nununugnr than guns n roses? I don't know how you can honestly call yourself a guns n roses fan if that's really how you feel. Listen, I liked the nu lineups and I like CD. But I became a fan of this band called guns n roses, and they haven't honestly existed since 1993. So yes I would MUCH rather have that band playing their songs as opposed to nununugnr playing mostly classic gnr songs and a few buckethead\finck songs.

I've been around for all of this stuff too, I'm no newbie. Hell I remember reading your posts back on newgnr.com 10 years ago. 10 years ago I wanted CD, I wanted new music from Axl. I honestly didn't care who was in the band, I just wanted music. But now, my opinion has changed. I'd much rather have a reunion even if that means Axl never release another album.

Honestly here is the bottom line, a guns n roses fan wants a reunion. An Axl Rose fan wants a new album. That's the difference.

I think it's an age thing sometimes. There are people here who are 20 something years old who have seen twenty new GnR shows. That's great. I've seen a bunch myself. I would trade those twenty for the one I saw in 92. Now of course people will say (after watching YouTube videos) Bumblefoot plays the songs better than a drunk Slash" If I want perfection I'll go see Dream Theater or Rush. Nobody thinks that a reunion will lead to a time warp and that the shows will be straight out of 1989 but it'd still be cool to see one last time for the fans who were lucky enough to be there back in the day and also for the newer generations who were born too late. If you want to see how many rock fans not on this board feel about GnR these days ,read any non-GnR music forum or blabbermouth,metal sludge or even the Facebook comments on the GnR page. It's a bunch of kids saying "OMG LET IT GO,THIS IS GNR11!!" followed by older people wanting the return of Slash,Duff etc.

• Like 1

I think it's an age thing sometimes. There are people here who are 20 something years old who have seen twenty new GnR shows. That's great. I've seen a bunch myself. I would trade those twenty for the one I saw in 92. Now of course people will say (after watching YouTube videos) Bumblefoot plays the songs better than a drunk Slash" If I want perfection I'll go see Dream Theater or Rush. Nobody thinks that a reunion will lead to a time warp and that the shows will be straight out of 1989 but it'd still be cool to see one last time for the fans who were lucky enough to be there back in the day and also for the newer generations who were born too late. If you want to see how many rock fans not on this board feel about GnR these days ,read any non-GnR music forum or blabbermouth,metal sludge or even the Facebook comments on the GnR page. It's a bunch of kids saying "OMG LET IT GO,THIS IS GNR11!!" followed by older people wanting the return of Slash,Duff etc.
I completely agree. Even though I was only 11 or 12 when gnr were in their 90s prime, and I never was lucky enough to see them live, I do remember watching November rain on mtv. I was very aware of this band called guns n roses, and even at that young age, I knew they were different. I have seen nugnr multiple times, including the fabled 2002 line up, and I agree with you. I would trade all of my nugnr concerts for 1 classic concert, hell I would trade my nugnr concerts just to see jungle performed by the real guys.

I know people like to go on and on about how times have changed and it wouldn't be the same and all that, and I suppose they are right to extent. But their is something indescribable about seeing a band play the songs they wrote. I just feel that their would be such an energy in the crowd as soon as the band hit the opening notes of jungle, it would be intense. Something nugnr can just not capture. No It wouldn't be like the clip posted here, but it would still be better than any performance since 1993, I'd bet my ass on that.

My last two concerts were Van Halen and Aerosmith and when Aerosmith played Dream On and Van Halen played I'll Wait, there was just this intagible feeling. You can't just simulate that, it's like a spiritual thing. Nugnr are\were a great band, arguably more talented. But it lacked that intangible feeling.

If that is number 1 I think the first RIR with the new band is a close 2nd. His vocals were weaker then but the overall presentation, anticipation, and crowd made up for it.

Rio 2001 a close second?? Lol come on go back to the drawing board.

As far as quality video/audio shows go, The Ritz Jungle is pretty far up there as well. 100x better than Rio 01'. I swear sometimes these kids get carried away....

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1