Slash comments on talking with Axl again - "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

i understand the doubt, and I wouldn't count on axl to stick with any decision, but come on guys.

nuGNR is essentially vacant, awaiting replacements

Slash got divorced from the woman who sued axl and was essentially his handler and supposedly replaced his tattoo of her name with a gun

Slash says he's on friendly terms with axl all of a sudden

official GNR twitter accounts suddenly getting nostalgic

Axl sitting on a ton of material he can't find a way to release

This is the first time in about 18 years where the reunion is truly plausible and if Axl wasn't Axl I would say we were over 50% at this point.

Perla sued Axl? What?

haha I guess she didn't sue him, she just tried to steal the copyright on the GNR logo which is equally antagonistic really

"Steal" the copyright? Her husband at the time is the one that designed the logo.

She tried to copyright ALL GNR logos including the appetite cross

Link?

Claiming copyright on logos that her husband created is not trying to steal logos.

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn78866398&docId=APP20060425083500#docIndex=5&page=1

That's not quite the link I was asking for. You said she was trying to do it for ALL logos. You claim it was antagonistic. For starers, Slash designed most of the logos. Second, Perla is the one behind Slash's visit to Axl's house in effort to patch things up.

ehhh but removing one guitar solo and replacing it with another is kinda different. That's been going on in rock for 50 years.

Appetite for Destruction didn't follow that plug and play formula. But it was a little more than that. He was telling others what to play. For example: The repetitive UYI Tom fills.

ehhh but removing one guitar solo and replacing it with another is kinda different. That's been going on in rock for 50 years.

Appetite for Destruction didn't follow that plug and play formula. But it was a little more than that. He was telling others what to play. For example: The repetitive UYI Tom fills.

sure and cool ranch dressing etc.

But Slash did a lot of the UYI guitar solos when the band rarely saw each other. And obviously those solos are breathtaking.

Guitar solos are a different thing. Comfortably Numb's outro solo was painstakingly assembled from many takes.

Slash did not design the appetite logo tho, come on. I mean how do you think Axl would respond to Perla trying to get the copyright for his own fucking tattoo?

According to Slash, he designed the 5 logos. Again, she wasn't trying to steal ALL logos. That's misleading in several ways.

Slash did not design the appetite logo tho, come on. I mean how do you think Axl would respond to Perla trying to get the copyright for his own fucking tattoo?

According to Slash, he designed the 5 logos. Again, she wasn't trying to steal ALL logos. That's misleading in several ways.

I'm sure there's some logos from way back in the day that no one cares about but she tried to copyright every significant classic GNR logo.

I've never seen anything about Slash designing the appetite cross.

--

here's a thread about the design of the cross with the guy who actually designed it commenting

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=51932.0

Edited by muresan

Matt said he added those fills on his own to try and create a signature drum sound to link the "trilogy" of DC, NR and Estranged. Matt claims he came up with the fills on his own.

But Slash did a lot of the UYI guitar solos when the band rarely saw each other. And obviously those solos are breathtaking.

Guitar solos are a different thing. Comfortably Numb's outro solo was painstakingly assembled from many takes.

Again, it was more than just Slash and solos. Axl was acting as the sole person in charge of arrangement with more than just solos. Synth, fills, etc.

Matt said he added those fills on his own to try and create a signature drum sound to link the "trilogy" of DC, NR and Estranged. Matt claims he came up with the fills on his own.

Funny, Matt has said that the reason for those boring fills was because that is what Axl told him to play.

mattsorum

@mattsorum

@MikePortnoy that fill was Axls idea As a musical phrase that carried on through the trilogy , Don't Cry and Estranged. Those albums UYI 1 n 2 Have sold 20 million combined.
Edited by Rustycage

This Is the happiest I have been when It comes to being a Guns fan since seeing them live In 1992 at Three Rivers Stadium. One more tour with the original members and I can die happy. I know It Is very very unlikely, but I guess It's ok to have hope.

• Like 1

Again, it was more than just Slash and solos. Axl was acting as the sole person in charge of arrangement with more than just solos. Synth, fills, etc.

Dude, this argument started cuz I advocated swapping out guitar solos. What Axl does with his bleeps and boops is irrelevant.

Dude, this argument started cuz I advocated swapping out guitar solos. What Axl does with his bleeps and boops is irrelevant.

The argument escalated when I pointed out that you just don't plug n play music like that. It's different to rearrange solos written for a specific piece inside of that piece. It's stupid to just think you can "take Slash solos and place them into songs" just because it's Slash. That mindset is what led to the collaborative mess that is CD. Thinking you can take Slash playing, or Buckethead playing, and rearrange them over music and riffs that changed later is a fuckin mess.

Appetite didn't follow that mindset and it's mostly a pure record because of it. Early demos of AFD songs and some UYI songs have basically the same solos as the records.

What you are talking about with slapping Slash solos over some music is not the same.

Edited by Rustycage

Calling bullshit on them speaking. In May, Slash pretty much said the same thing in an interview: "There's no animosity. Over time we all just got sick and tired of the black cloud. The biggest thing that happens when you have a break up that is less than harmonious, you build up a bad energy because of the distance. The bad feelings get exaggerated."

When he was interviewed again in June he said: "Hey, it's remarkable what is read into that. I just wanted to sound a little more friendly und positive. But Axl and I aren't in touch and I don't see it."

Fascinating. This is a 2006 application for Slash/Perla to use the GNR logo for merch. To be clear, this is a trademark application, not a copyright registration, which would not be examined but would also have minimal legal effect. The US Patent and Trademark Office rejected the application on the grounds that there were existing registrations for the marks by GNR, and the application was eventually deemed abandoned.

Funny, Matt has said that the reason for those boring fills was because that is what Axl told him to play.

mattsorum

@mattsorum

@MikePortnoy that fill was Axls idea As a musical phrase that carried on through the trilogy , Don't Cry and Estranged. Those albums UYI 1 n 2 Have sold 20 million combined.

"Still, that didn’t mean Sorum couldn’t put some thought into his drum tracks… “The one thing I always tried to do was create a good intro. ‘Pretty Tied Up’ has the trippy hi-hat at the start, real signature things. That was always my thing, creating a signature.

“People joke with me a lot about ‘November Rain’ asking why I did that tom fill so much. I wanted to create a signature, a musical part of the song that was a hook so I kept doing the same fill. That same fill leads through ‘November Rain’, ‘Estranged’ and ‘Don’t cry’. The reason I did that was because those three songs were a trilogy so I tied them together.
“Axl told me they were a trilogy and the videos were all connected so I said, ‘lets make a drum sound that’s connected.’ That’s the kind of s**t we’d talk about!”

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/interview-steven-adler-matt-sorum-the-guns-n-roses-story-549356

"Still, that didn’t mean Sorum couldn’t put some thought into his drum tracks… “The one thing I always tried to do was create a good intro. ‘Pretty Tied Up’ has the trippy hi-hat at the start, real signature things. That was always my thing, creating a signature.

“People joke with me a lot about ‘November Rain’ asking why I did that tom fill so much. I wanted to create a signature, a musical part of the song that was a hook so I kept doing the same fill. That same fill leads through ‘November Rain’, ‘Estranged’ and ‘Don’t cry’. The reason I did that was because those three songs were a trilogy so I tied them together.
“Axl told me they were a trilogy and the videos were all connected so I said, ‘lets make a drum sound that’s connected.’ That’s the kind of s**t we’d talk about!”

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/interview-steven-adler-matt-sorum-the-guns-n-roses-story-549356

Here ya go.

"The track I get the most amount of grief for, from drummers, is November Rain. The reason I did that tom fill so many times is I felt it was a musical part. A lot of drummers were like, 'Why'd you play the same fill so much?!'"

"Me and Axl were sitting in the studio late one night, having a couple of drinks and listening to Elton John, a song called Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me."

"Axl goes, 'Do you hear that?' I'm like, 'Yeah, I love Nigel Olson, man'. He says, 'Do that on the song we're going to record tomorrow!' We'd rehearsed it but I didn't have all the fills and stuff, it was just a groove. In the end of November Rain I get into that whole marching band trip."

Wow, I'm honestly completely shocked at this. Like someone else said earlier in the thread, this is the first GNR related piece of news that's actually, truly surprised me probably since CD had a concrete release date. I couldn't care less whether or not they ever work together or not again, but it's nice to know that two people who had such intense, bitter feelings towards each other for so long have finally put all that shit under the bridge. Those are two guys who shared the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows together, and created classic music through it all. They shouldn't stay mad at each other.

• Like 1

Here ya go.

"The track I get the most amount of grief for, from drummers, is November Rain. The reason I did that tom fill so many times is I felt it was a musical part. A lot of drummers were like, 'Why'd you play the same fill so much?!'"

"Me and Axl were sitting in the studio late one night, having a couple of drinks and listening to Elton John, a song called Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me."

"Axl goes, 'Do you hear that?' I'm like, 'Yeah, I love Nigel Olson, man'. He says, 'Do that on the song we're going to record tomorrow!' We'd rehearsed it but I didn't have all the fills and stuff, it was just a groove. In the end of November Rain I get into that whole marching band trip."

So, he gives three conflicting accounts. One it was his idea, the other it was Axl, the third it was a collaboration between 'em. Axl isn't the bad guy in every situation.