Slash comments on talking with Axl again - "It was probably way over due. It's very cool."

Slash and Axl have gotten over some of their problems and can talk to each other now. That is all there is. Some of you need to look at the bigger picture between them. They have been apart so long that they probably do not even know each other very well any longer. Axl has never had dealings with a totally clean Slash. Neither one of them needs the other to work at their craft. A couple of other things to consider- the minute Slash walks out onto the stage and plays under the name of GNR, he will be working for Axl. That means Axl has total control of what is done concerning the band on and off the stage. That includes merchandising and media. Slash works for himself and has gotten use to having things his way. Slash also likes to create new music and Axl does not. Any talk of a reunion is very premature at this point so many things would need to be worked out. Who would sit down and help them work these things out? Beta and Perla? Perla is still very involved with the business end of Slash's career? And I believe that I have seen several postings here stating that Beta hates Slash.

they were bandmates, not buddies. their friendship was a result of the band and ended when slash left the band. a contract can be written concerning the tour.....money for shows by percentage of profit, rights and money for any dvd or audio release of tour, etc. slash doesn't have to seek ownership of name or live under axl's control to tour with him. my guess is he will have to put up with going on late and traveling separate and that is about it. if axl decides he wants to play cd songs i dont see why slash wouldnt improve the solos on them either and be fine with it. i dont see any issues they cant deal with. they will all be getting siginificantly more than what they are getting now for their work.

You could be right about some of this. One of Slash's major hang ups is going on late. His concerts start on time if they are late for some reason he really gets upset or as upset as he can get about anything lol. He needs to be in constant motion, he does not like to sit and wait. I doubt it would bother Slash to travel separately. Axl might not like to give up control though, his feelings need to be considered also. I really do not know much about Axl. There are a lot of Slash fans that do not want any kind of reunion to happen. We will just have to wait and see.

'Fat Elvis'! Does Ash Hudson know how Axl operates here. He has a gene or two similar to Slash which basically (in Axl's eyes) means Slash said that Axl is a 'fat Elvis'. But fuck the lot of them because none of GN'R have the credibility to lick Elvis's jumpsuit shoes. I do not respect anyone who criticises The King,

And I doubt Slash likes hearing his brother say that about Axl. Ive always heard Slash defend Axl when its not Slash speaking. I think Slash feels he has the right to "bash" Axl because he was there and a part of it. I know he got pissed at Wieland's comments about Axl in the VR days

He said in his book (I think) that nobody had the right to talk shit about Axl other than those who had to deal with him on a daily basis or knew him well.

Can you honestly say Slash's guitar skills have improved since the Illusion era?

Oh my god yes...

Agreed. To me Slash is better now than ever before. To be honest I really didn't dig the Illusions live era too much. Had moments of greatness for sure, but it was too big and bloated. I preferred the raw Appetite GnR, more punk rock and real.

If they we're to reunite I think it would be pretty bad ass musically considering they are all clean, focused and can still bring it home (like in the R&R Hall of Fame performance). I don't think they will do it unless they knew it's going to be something special.

I also agree. Check out the following video... from 4:30 onward. He really blows it up at around 6:25 and goes plaid at about 7:10. The riffs throughout are classic Slash too.

If only Axl were on vocals on this song... sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu_sMqZyOTg

• Like 2

I also agree. Check out the following video... from 4:30 onward. He really blows it up at around 6:25 and goes plaid at about 7:10. The riffs throughout are classic Slash too.

God, he really does come out blazing there. I watch a video like that and remember why I see him so many times. He's just so good. No one's doing proper guitar god work like that, in the way that a guitarist is the center of attention. There aren't guitar solos anymore, and by that I mean there are guitar solos highlighted in songs anymore. Its all just an anonymous band. There aren't people like Slash that just become that "guy" you can recognize. Its really sad. This video reminds me of how happy I am he's still like that.

And how GREAT he'd play on a Guns reunion. I'd love to hear him play a proper Guns show clean like he does at his solo shows. I think there'd be praising for days. God, he's just so good. I wish Axl was even doing a fraction of something like this to keep me interested.

• Like 1

God, he really does come out blazing there. I watch a video like that and remember why I see him so many times. He's just so good. No one's doing proper guitar god work like that, in the way that a guitarist is the center of attention. There aren't guitar solos anymore, and by that I mean there are guitar solos highlighted in songs anymore. Its all just an anonymous band. There aren't people like Slash that just become that "guy" you can recognize. Its really sad. This video reminds me of how happy I am he's still like that.

And how GREAT he'd play on a Guns reunion. I'd love to hear him play a proper Guns show clean like he does at his solo shows. I think there'd be praising for days. God, he's just so good. I wish Axl was even doing a fraction of something like this to keep me interested.

I'm in total agreement with you regarding Slash. Others will argue he's not 'technical' enough or whatever. All I know is, my eyes and ears like what I see and hear. And in my mind, nobody in this world can pull off what Slash can. He combines style, soul and bluesy/rock/hard rock guitar playing (with a big pinch of coolness) that nobody in my opinion can replicate. He's in a class all his own. I really think a modern original lineup Guns record would be mind blowing and might, just might put them back on top again for a little while and remind the world what a real rock band was, and is.... now that these guys are more technical and clean and not under the influence of anything on stage like the old days.

As for Slash being the only one doing what he does... 'proper guitar God work'... I suggest checking out David Gilmour's new album and tour (Pink Floyd). If there's anyone who can upstage Slash, it's Gilmour. Albeit a much more chill 'beautiful' vibe... vs. Slash's 'bad ass' vibe. But you are right, there aren't many guys like Slash around anymore... guys who can command an audience with their guitar solo's alone and leave that audience with goosebumps every time.

Edited by Matt13

Can you honestly say Slash's guitar skills have improved since the Illusion era?

This post is not suggesting that YOU think his skills have improved.

Now you're just backpedaling.

I was just throwing it out there to be honest. Since I first listened to guns and then CD I just feel Buckethead filled his Slash's void with what he brought to the table on CD and sort of progressed the sound from Guns Illusion & Spaghetti guitar sound Bucket & Finck & Fortus. I'm desperate to hear what remains of Bucket's recorded parts. But Slash is an outstanding guitarist is one of the worlds best no doubt, I have a hope Slash will collaborate with Axl on record again. Edited by wkuk04

He is probably better technically, and at least more consistent, but my problem is that I don't think anything he has written these last years is memorable. And to me that is the most important thing. I really don't care about technicality, only musicality.

This. Of all the songs from the last decade, for me "Anastacia" is the only one that is really memorable. So yes, the video is impressive and is exactly what I'd like to see him do with Axl, but 99% of the stuff he did is far more mundane and even imagining Axl singing over it doesn't make it that much better.

But then again the magic DOES seem to lie in the chemistry, doesn't it? Maybe the three-headed AxlSlashDuff god will be able to pour out songs on the level of Anastacia on a daily basis. What do I know,

I just don't think Slash is much of a songwriter. Not that I could do better. But Izzy has a much easier talent. My idea is that Slash doesnt write a song about something. Its just guitar parts that fit together that sound good, where as on Izzy songs, the guitar is there but the melody and lyrics could stand alone. Time Gone By or River you can sing to yourself. Its not like Megadeth where your making riff noises in the supermarket. Annatasia has a memorable chorus some solos, but it's not catchy or a tune.

But Slash kicks Izzy and Axl songs up into being a real hard rock band that can compete. Some people prefer the assurance of Slash bluesy ballsy guitar playing, more like ACDC just makes you feel good even if the lyrics are a bit borderline. Maybe Slash with Axl singing is a viable hard rock act for many but I doubt it would produce an AFD

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

While I have maintained Slash is vastly improved as a guitar player, his songwriting hasn't gotten any worse. It's about the same as it always was. He just had better talent around him in guns. Is "world on fire" *that* much different of an album than it's "five o clock somewhere", considering they were released nearly 20 years apart?

While I have maintained Slash is vastly improved as a guitar player, his songwriting hasn't gotten any worse. It's about the same as it always was. He just had better talent around him in guns. Is "world on fire" *that* much different of an album than it's "five o clock somewhere", considering they were released nearly 20 years apart?

That's something most people don't see.

Take any song of the last 3 records. Or take it of any record from Slash post Guns.

Would it be a Guns song you can be sure it would include the same riff. Izzy would be building chords around them. Duff another bassline. Axl would add his lyrics and his melody where as Slash would add probably another guitar solo that fits Axls melodys. This or the solo would be written even before Axl working on the song.

Basically on each Slash song as a GNR tune you would have the same riff. That's all. Probably the same solo and the same bridge because he is still a songwriting partner of Izzy, but in general it would be a totally different song with a different vibe worked out as a Guns tune.

Now imagine Withered Delilah, World On Fire, Anastasia, By The Sword, most of the Snakepits as Guns songs. Take the riffs and solos and let the other guys work them out. I think there could still be a fantastic reunion record.

What I wanna say is, I don't think he lost anything, but his partners around him like Teejay said.

Edited by Free Bird

I just don't think Slash is much of a songwriter. Not that I could do better. But Izzy has a much easier talent. My idea is that Slash doesnt write a song about something. Its just guitar parts that fit together that sound good, where as on Izzy songs, the guitar is there but the melody and lyrics could stand alone. Time Gone By or River you can sing to yourself. Its not like Megadeth where your making riff noises in the supermarket. Annatasia has a memorable chorus some solos, but it's not catchy or a tune.

But Slash kicks Izzy and Axl songs up into being a real hard rock band that can compete. Some people prefer the assurance of Slash bluesy ballsy guitar playing, more like ACDC just makes you feel good even if the lyrics are a bit borderline. Maybe Slash with Axl singing is a viable hard rock act for many but I doubt it would produce an AFD

Axl dictates the general musical direction for a Guns album. Slash adds gun powder, Izzy brings classic sounding ideas, foundations, Duff break yo cuffs.

The balance that is required to create a Guns song is reached once you put all that in a blender.

Maybe a potential collaboration won't produce AFD, but if Slash and Duff work on everything Axl recorded and didn't release, wouldn't it be reasonable to think some shit will click? It's still Axl, Slash, and Duff.

And with Fortus on board, they can hypothetically find a middle ground and create something as good as Chinese, timeless, but with more Gn'R elements.

Edited by Rovim

My idea about it is that Slash didn't write many of the songs.

Jungle, RQ and PC yes.

But Easy was Duff, Nightrain, Out ta get me, Brownstone are Izzy riffs. Scom cords are Izzy. Think about you Izzy. Anything goes Hollywood rose.

Then on UYI Slash songs are Civil War, Garden of Eden, Dont Damn Me, Coma.

Izzy and Axl brought a lot of songs to UYI. But Slash really brought up to scratch as GNR songs.

So its like bring a bunch of ideas to the studio, Slash and Axl will sort it!!!

• Like 2

Jungle, RQ and PC yes.

But Easy was Duff, Nightrain, Out ta get me, Brownstone are Izzy riffs. Scom cords are Izzy. Think about you Izzy. Anything goes Hollywood rose.

Izzy and Axl brought a lot of songs to UYI. But Slash really brought up to scratch as GNR songs.

Other things can be factored such as Slash's excitement just by working with Axl and Duff again on a Guns album. Tats tells you all you need to know. And Slash is capable of maybe coming up with something Axl will really like. Like a Fall To Pieces levels of interested, or just a lead or solo that will spark something.

With all their musical differences they still like some of the same music and influences. Axl doing an Aerosmith cover with Baz on Angel Down, Slash still doing tunes that can be considered "Epic" in feel and structure. He's leaning towards it even more imo nowdays. Zeppelin always present. Axl doing AC/DC covers with Zakk Wylde.

I don't think there's a need for Slash to come up with full tunes. Just his riffs, solos, and sound can inject enough of what is missing without his guitar playing.

Axl has a lot of material already recorded. We know about Down By The Ocean and Slash's old idea they've worked on. The Axl and Duff connection seems to be helpful or can be.

Axl said the intention with everything he has recorded under the Chinese umbrella was to create Guns albums. And Chinese does contain a lot of Gn'R elements. To me that means in a way, that it's logical Slash will like at least some of the unreleased material. He said Axl's vocals and melodies were great on Chinese.

And as guitar players, Slash and Fortus make sense together. Slash won't hate this guy. They be weavin' riffs and spitting leads at each other in no time.

I believe Axl will do what he thinks is best for Guns, like he always did, but maybe there's room for old members to contribute and make it better, more Guns, without making the nu thing feel redundant.

Like a David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar tour. Best of both worlds. A different kind of democracy on the rollercoaster of destruction.

Edited by Rovim

Jungle, RQ and PC yes.

Other things can be factored such as Slash's excitement just by working with Axl and Duff again on a Guns album. Tats tells you all you need to know. And Slash is capable of maybe coming up with something Axl will really like. Like a Fall To Pieces levels of interested, or just a lead or solo that will spark something.

With all their musical differences they still like some of the same music and influences. Axl doing an Aerosmith cover with Baz on Angel Down, Slash still doing tunes that can be considered "Epic" in feel and structure. He's leaning towards it even more imo nowdays. Zeppelin always present. Axl doing AC/DC covers with Zakk Wylde.

I don't think there's a need for Slash to come up with full tunes. Just his riffs, solos, and sound can inject enough of what is missing without his guitar playing.

Axl has a lot of material already recorded. We know about Down By The Ocean and Slash's old idea they've worked on. The Axl and Duff connection seems to be helpful or can be.

Axl said the intention with everything he has recorded under the Chinese umbrella was to create Guns albums. And Chinese does contain a lot of Gn'R elements. To me that means in a way, that it's logical Slash will like at least some of the unreleased material. He said Axl's vocals and melodies were great on Chinese.

And as guitar players, Slash and Fortus make sense together. Slash won't hate this guy. They be weavin' riffs and spitting leads at each other in no time.

I believe Axl will do what he thinks is best for Guns, like he always did, but maybe there's room for old members to contribute and make it better, more Guns, without making the nu thing feel redundant.

Like a David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar tour. Best of both worlds. A different kind of democracy on the rollercoaster of destruction.

I think CD was made in a similar way to UYI as in there are different writers, co writers. The main difference is Slash isnt on lead. Most of the time he's playing or developing some others idea. Its collabistan. But he always seems frustrated by that. So hes done his 7 solo albums. Hes proved himself.

So he could could slot back in to help Axl realize another GNR album. He would do a lot of the hard work around the court and get to work with Axl on a rocker, even just have Axl bring some fire to a speed anthem. I mean Slash worked Axl's rockers Dead Horse and Shotgun Blues?

If Slash brought something like Garden of Eden, Dont Damn Me, Coma basically finished with Axl just having to write lyrics and record vocals. Its an asset. Plus he can realize Axls material and boost Izzy songs.

The problem was he stopped giving a fuck about Axl's material or wanting to have low talking or sound effects added by Axl or even replace his solo with Tobias for the music.

I doubt Slash can do a GNR record like Snakepit where its just him being the main man. It was always more varied than that. So you could say a GNR record is pretty complicated. Can Axl even let things go in a Slash way?

They could all use the 20 mil so a reunion tour seems easier.

• Like 1

I wonder if Axl has had a major change of heart. Like what if he's "seen the light", sees his years passing by, and wants to go out on top (as on top as he can at this point)? That would be some sort of classic lineup venture and maybe releasing what's left of the ChiDem stuff. This is probably wishful thinking.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

I think CD was made in a similar way to UYI as in there are different writers, co writers. The main difference is Slash isnt on lead. Most of the time he's playing or developing some others idea. Its collabistan. But he always seems frustrated by that. So hes done his 7 solo albums. Hes proved himself.

So he could could slot back in to help Axl realize another GNR album. He would do a lot of the hard work around the court and get to work with Axl on a rocker, even just have Axl bring some fire to a speed anthem. I mean Slash worked Axl's rockers Dead Horse and Shotgun Blues?

If Slash brought something like Garden of Eden, Dont Damn Me, Coma basically finished with Axl just having to write lyrics and record vocals. Its an asset. Plus he can realize Axls material and boost Izzy songs.

The problem was he stopped giving a fuck about Axl's material or wanting to have low talking or sound effects added by Axl or even replace his solo with Tobias for the music.

I doubt Slash can do a GNR record like Snakepit where its just him being the main man. It was always more varied than that. So you could say a GNR record is pretty complicated. Can Axl even let things go in a Slash way?

They could all use the 20 mil so a reunion tour seems easier.

It's safer to just release CD ll and tour behind that. The only thing that prevented Slash from playing on a few tunes on Chinese was that Axl demanded a public apology.

If they can both look cool while doing it, I think there's a good chance Slash and Duff can make it much better. And is it really just me that kinda thinks Slash wants back in after Conspirators lll?

Even Axl can forgive. He said he's coming right over with a shotgun to blow Steven away. They drank Tequila together since.

A Nu Guns album is intended to sound like an updated version of something it can't fully provide. And Axl despite his hatred wanted Slash on Chinese on some capacity.

I think convincing Slash and Duff to work under Axl's musical direction is not the problem.

No one is going to get everything they want if there is a compromise. It can probably only be Axl, Slash, Duff with Dizzy, Frank, Pitman and Fortus.

And why discard a musical vision of finished material Axl has worked on for years, when he can use that as a starting point and Slash and Duff can correct the mistakes and fill in the blanks.

Edited by Rovim