29 years ago today GNR debut "SCOM", "MR Brownstone", and "Ain't Going Down at The Whisky August 23, 1986

recklessroad

"Ain't Going Down ending up being an outtake from the UYI records but was used for the 1994 GNR pinball machine that was designed by Slash. When the band got signed in the end of March, they thought they were going to go in and record a record. Tom Zutaut told the band they needed a few more songs. Times were a bit dark because nothing was happening and the band kept getting themselfs in trouble and there was some talk about them being dropped by Geffen then in May they put together "You're Crazy" but that was still not good enough for Tom and the band was still fucking up and making trouble. After this gig on August 23, 1986 Tom saw that the band was now ready to make a record and the band started preproduction and in doing that they came up with one more song "Its So Easy"which is one of my favorite songs and was the last minute Cherri on top for the record. Spencer Proffer was working with the band as a possible producer and he was going to record 2 songs as a test. It was going to be "WTTJ" and "Nightrain" but after seeing the band play SCOM he decided to change out WTTJ for SCOM. The band was not happy with Spencer's recordings and Mike Clink was hired after he recorded a killer demo version of "Shodow Of your Love" These were very exciting times for the band and they were now ready to make a killer record that would change things in the music world for ever.

Setlist from that night was

an intro Jam

Out Ta Get Me

Ain't Goin' Down

Think About You

Mr. Brownstone

Rocket Queen

Nightrain

My Michelle

Sweet Child O' Mine

You're Crazy

Back Off Bitch

Welcome to the Jungle

Anything Goes

Paradise City

Mama Kin

Jumpin' Jack Flash

post-37284-0-35636900-1440358280_thumb.j

post-37284-0-23330400-1440358292_thumb.j

post-37284-0-21430000-1440358308_thumb.j

post-37284-0-91132700-1440358323_thumb.j

• Like 2

AINT GOING DOWN IS A TERRIFIC SONG, I CANT BELIEVE IT WAS AN OUTTAKE FOR APPETITE AND ILLUSIONS!

Its the only song that I saw them put together from the 1985-1986 days (besides "Good Night tonight" that they one played once at the Roxy 1/18/86) that the band put together and never made it on a record

• Like 1

AINT GOING DOWN IS A TERRIFIC SONG, I CANT BELIEVE IT WAS AN OUTTAKE FOR APPETITE AND ILLUSIONS!

Its the only song that I saw them put together from the 1985-1986 days (besides "Good Night tonight" that they one played once at the Roxy 1/18/86) that the band put together and never made it on a record

Marc, do you have any idea why these 2 songs never made it on a record?

On the same topic, what about INDIANA AINT MY KINDA TOWN? Was that a joke song? A parody of some existing song? do you know anything about it?

On the same topic, do you have any info about "ideas for songs" that got abandoned before actually becoming songs? I am asking that because in so many bands it is usual to have lots of abandoned "ideas" for every finished song...