It's Five O'Clock Somewhere is actually a great rock record

Dr. Who

Jizzy Pearl was a sucky singer and I think that's what kills the album for a lot of people but if you listen to the album over again, it has some of Slash's best playing ever and the structure of the songs themselves isn't bad. It makes for a really fun ride and a nice dose of fun rock in a time dominated by serious, brooding alternative:

I reckon there are some really strong tracks on this record. In any case, it was Slash's only solo work to capture my attention. But maybe it was because I was still in a GnR frenzy in 1995. Seeing him live in a small venue after this was released was great.

Edited by Chuzeville

Slash's snakepit is a jizzfest. It's a bunch of dudes jacking off.

Some cool riffs and ideas that could have been developed and turned into Guns songs. In both records the only thing that drives it is Slash's desire to solo over some riffs. The lyrics are horrid, the southern tinged vibe is god awful.

It didn't have a direction or truly great songs imo. It does contain some great leads and mean riffs as usual.

Edited by Rovim

Slash's snakepit is a jizzfest. It's a bunch of dudes jacking off.

Some cool riffs and ideas that could have been developed and turn into Guns songs. In both records the only thing that drives it is Slash's desire to solo over some riffs. The lyrics are horrid, the southern tinged vibe is god awful.

It didn't have a direction or truly great songs imo. It does contain some great leads and mean riffs as usual.

neither can I is alone better than CD

I do not really like this record in full, but saying it's a jizzfest is laughable and shows some strong bias...

if an album contains some great riffs and great leads, it's a decent album in my book

But yeah, as MB. said Ain't Life Grand is much better

if an album contains some great riffs and great leads, it's a decent album in my book

That's cool, but it's just not what I believe makes a decent album. Great riffs and great leads are just great riffs and great leads until you put them into context and if you're good at it and all the different elements work together then that's a good song and a bunch of them make a good album.

I just didn't think IFOS or Ain't Life Grand were good albums. Great riffs and some great solos, but the material drags on for me with no real purpose other than giving focus to Slash's guitar playing.

Like I said though, both albums had potential.

IFOS is my fav Slash solo record. Eric Dover was cool and had some stage presence, altough he had a very hippy "Alleluiah" live thing going.

Slash's playing on that record and his live tone was still on GN'R level to me and he was still wild / high most of the time, which reflected very well on his playing. As sad as it can be, to me Slash's best years as a musician were when he was on drugs.

The studio band was real great with most of GN'R guys there and Mike Inez from Alice in Chains and the live band was cool as well, with Gilby.

If you think about it, Slash's project with the Conspirators is still pretty much what he was doing with Snakepit I - he comes up with the songs, the singer comes up with the lyrics / vocal melodies and the band has his name first. The difference to Snakepit I is that Myles much more known than Eric was and the rest of the band is much lower profile than Snakepit I was.

Snakepit I ranks high in my records collection.

For reference here's a great concert from Snakepit I where the band is really raw and plays great:

I saw Snakepit with Rod, one of the best shows I ever went to. 'Serial killer' is one of my favorite songs post gnr. Also I liked Rod a lot. I prefer him over Myles, Eric and maybe even Scott . His voice suited the way Slash plays really well and I loved his stage personality. Except for Serial Killer, I agree with the horrid lyrics of the Snakepit albums. However GNR has some cringeworthy lyrics as well. Slash's albums are all not that great, when it comes to lyrics btw.

Maybe it's cause I saw them play live, but I think 'Ain't life Grand' isn't all about Slash's solo's. Rod really took the stage (a lot more then Myles) and it was a solid very good band.

Edited by MB.

Jizzy Pearl ? Are you sure about it ? ;)

Eric Dover was a great singer and performer ! :headbang:

Oh yeah, sorry get the two confused.

Regardless, Jizzy Pearl is an awesome singer. Really unique voice...Excellent live.

And Love/Hate are an excellent band.

He was good on the Adler's Appetite EP (never saw him live with them though). I saw footage of him covering You Could Be Mine somewhere, it was pretty damn good.

Will be going to watch Jizzy play live for the fourth time later this year.

On topic:

I think the Snakepit albums are by far the best solo/side project material that Slash has released.

Edited by sploit

Jizzy Pearl ? Are you sure about it ? ;)

Eric Dover was a great singer and performer ! :headbang:

Eric Dover was much better frontman than Myles. But as far as Slash albums, I really like his solo album self title Slash. His best song since leaving GN´R I think it´s Anastasia

Edited by Padme