downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

8,562 posts in this topic

Figured with the U.S. mid-term elections commencing tomorrow, figured I'd start a thread on all things U.S. elections (if you're interested in Presidential elections, we'll see you in two years).

Looks like the Senate is going to be handed back to the Republicans after 8 years of Democrat control. I suppose Obama's use of the veto will skyrocket over the next couple of years.

If you've been impressed with how unproductive Congress has been since 2010, just wait until you see how little gets done and passed over the next two!

And then there's also the state elections. John Oliver covers this pretty well here:

House Dems are going to get hit hard. Senate is a toss up with a lean R. I'm currently working on a state election in VA, so the federal stuff isn't completely in my purview, but I've followed it a bit. In MD (where I live), it's likely that Brown will win, though probably not by a huge margin.

DC has some interesting races: mayor, AG, council. But they'll all be liberal so it doesn't matter as much.

Hope Barber wins. McSally upsets me.

The system is hopeless. Democrat vs Republican is no longer a choice. It's just two cheeks of the same ass.

The more people that vote for alternative parties the better.

2 people like this

The attack ads here are absurd. It all boils down to one side detailing the incumbent's failed policies that have devastated the state's economy while the incumbent is using the "he's coming for your guns" crap.

Err mah gawd he has spoken to Obama before!

Then there's the attack ad of a man many years ago as a bachelor in his 20's, went to a strip club. That's it. He's not a good choice because he has been to a strip club before. Just wtf.

Just ctrl alt deleteall of their asses.

1 person likes this

The GOP taking complete control of congress finally makes Barry a lame duck. He can do no more harm.

The GOP taking complete control of congress finally makes Barry a lame duck. He can do no more harm.

Yeah, it would be terrible if the U.S. economy kept getting better :P Let's see what a Republican-controlled Congress is able to do to reverse the improving economic picture.

1 person likes this

The system is hopeless. Democrat vs Republican is no longer a choice. It's just two cheeks of the same ass.

The more people that vote for alternative parties the better.

The problem is, third party candidates usually stem from either the R or D's. And if you look at them closely, you can see they still are basically whatever party they came from, just with a few outlandish views that the proper party wouldn't support. I've found that most independents fall into that category; and the rest..... well you wouldn't want to put them in charge of anything.

True independents will exist when the political/campaign system in the US no longer relies on big money backers, and when lobbying organizations are more regulated. And I don't see either of those things happening any time soon (or ever).

Yeah, it would be terrible if the U.S. economy kept getting better :P Let's see what a Republican-controlled Congress is able to do to reverse the improving economic picture.

Seriously.

The only question that matters is "Is the country better or worse than when the president took office?" Definitely better.

(b4 some FOX news dribble about Obamacare or BENGHAZI!)
1 person likes this

Yeah, it would be terrible if the U.S. economy kept on getting better :P Let's see what a Republican-controlled Congress is able to do to reverse the improving economic picture.

Is it though? How healthy is an economy where the Federal Reserve is involved in massive QE and hundreds of thousands of people without a job are not included in official unemployment figures? Inequality is at a record high.

It doesn't sound very healthy to me.

1 person likes this

Yeah, it would be terrible if the U.S. economy kept on getting better :P Let's see what a Republican-controlled Congress is able to do to reverse the improving economic picture.

Is it though? How healthy is an economy where the Federal Reserve is involved in massive QE and hundreds of thousands of people without a job are not included in official unemployment figures? Inequality is at a record high.

It doesn't sound very healthy to me.

Not, in absolute terms the economy isn't great by certain measures (inequality, household income, under-represented employment rates).

But relative to other modern economies that decided to follow the austerity path, the U.S. is doing much better. Had Obama followed the Republican playbook of "cutting yourself to growth" like many other countries had, the U.S. would have suffered a far worse economy than it does now.

1 person likes this

As has been noted, the "improving economic picture" is media generated bullshit. The unemployment figures are rigged, and Barry and his gang recite them as an accomplishment. Total joke.

2 people like this

As has been noted, the "improving economic picture" is media generated bullshit. The unemployment figures are rigged, and Barry and his gang recite them as an accomplishment. Total joke.

So were they rigged when W. was President? What about Clinton? Or is just Obama that has the gaul to play with the numbers?

There is no improving economy, unless you're talking about the s&p, which is exactly what those in power want is to focus on.

1 person likes this

So were they rigged when W. was President? What about Clinton? Or is just Obama that has the gaul to play with the numbers?

I said nothing about the Obama administration itself rigging the numbers.

There is no improving economy, unless you're talking about the s&p, which is exactly what those in power want is to focus on.

And this is why Republicans will likely do well tomorrow (also it being a mid-term election, in which the governing party almost never does well). By almost every macro economic metric, that economy has vastly improved since the doldrums of the Great Recession. GDP has recovered and growing, unemployment is below 6 percent, and corporate profits are booming. But fewer and fewer Americans feel the benefits.

So you'd take the same exception had Romney won the election and 2012 and touted the same numbers?

Fun fact: The number of jobs created under Obama's second term so far is roughly equivalent to the number of jobs Romney claimed he would create during his campaign.

So you'd take the same exception had Romney won the election and 2012 and touted the same numbers?

Fun fact: The number of jobs created under Obama's second term so far is roughly equivalent to the number of jobs Romney claimed he would create during his campaign.

Yes I would. But he would never have been able to tout said numbers, because the media doesn't shill for Republicans.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

I think we've found Shades' replacement... :D

How do we define the sizes of economies? In dollars? Nope. These systems should be measured in terms of a transcendent, invariant unit. Currencies are, by definition, variant, because they are constantly changing relative to one another. This includes the dollar, which is itself measured against a BASKET of other currencies. I propose that GDP should be measured in the unit of MAN HOURS or MAN YEARS. $20 per hour average wage. 2000 hour average work year. Because the buying power of an average man hour or man year shouldn’t change much at all. Think about it.

So, if we take the latest bee-ess GDP for the former US of $16.8 trillion, and if we use an average wage of $20 per hour, or $40,000 per year, we get an economy of 840 billion man hours, or 420 million man years.

Puts a different spin on it, huh? Now, you really want your mind blown? Do that same calculation with the debt (now $18 trillion). Now do it with the unfunded liabilities of the FEDGOV (conservatively $250 trillion).

450 million man years, and 6.25 billion man years respectively.

Source: Notes for Apres la Guerre Part 2: Banking and Financial Market Theory

http://www.barnhardt.biz/2014/10/29/notes-for-apres-la-guerre-part-2-banking-and-financial-market-theory/

:rofl-lol:

Edited by Captain America

this is the same thing that usually happens every election cycle, american people get sick of the party that has been in power, they vote out the incumbents make the current president a lame duck which is just basically a way of holding everything in place until the next presidential election in 2016.

1 person likes this

How do we define the sizes of economies? In dollars? Nope. These systems should be measured in terms of a transcendent, invariant unit. Currencies are, by definition, variant, because they are constantly changing relative to one another. This includes the dollar, which is itself measured against a BASKET of other currencies. I propose that GDP should be measured in the unit of MAN HOURS or MAN YEARS. $20 per hour average wage. 2000 hour average work year. Because the buying power of an average man hour or man year shouldn’t change much at all. Think about it.

So, if we take the latest bee-ess GDP for the former US of $16.8 trillion, and if we use an average wage of $20 per hour, or $40,000 per year, we get an economy of 840 billion man hours, or 420 million man years.

Puts a different spin on it, huh? Now, you really want your mind blown? Do that same calculation with the debt (now $18 trillion). Now do it with the unfunded liabilities of the FEDGOV (conservatively $250 trillion).

http://www.barnhardt.biz/2014/10/29/notes-for-apres-la-guerre-part-2-banking-and-financial-market-theory/

Get outta here man, hopefully a mod gives you a good whipping for this. :max:

Anyway, polls opening soon on the east coast!

Get outta here man, hopefully a mod gives you a good whipping for this. :max:

Anyway, polls opening soon on the east coast!

dBEmELN.gif

I straight ticketed the Democrats. I also voted no for the tax increase and no for the governor picking the adjutant general

1 person likes this