downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

9,766 posts in this topic

Looks like a third Bush will be running for President. Too bad Jeb didn't run in 2000 instead of his nitwit brother. He would have been a much better President.

The 2000 election was all Bush and Gore which I normally enjoy on the telly to be fair.

2 people like this

jeb was a pretty good governor for the most part. his brother will probably stop him from being elected though.

No one will vote another Bush into the White House this soon after W. (Jeb was a fine governor though)

Maybe if they could get Rand Paul to chill the fuck out. I like about half the things he has to say, which is more than I can say for most of the GOP's leaders.

Bobby Jindel would be a good nominee for the GOP as well.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

I don't think it matters who the GOP pick as their nominee. The electorate that comes out for Presidential elections isn't the same electorate that votes during mid-terms. Presidential elections favour the democrat nominee, mid-terms favour republican candidates.

At the very least, I do hope Jeb does become the nominee for the GOP. There's very few other contenders I find palatable. Jindel isn't bad, at least he acknowledged after the last Presidential election that the GOP needed to stop being the party of stupid. It's a shame no bothered to listen to him so far.

Looks like a third Bush will be running for President. Too bad Jeb didn't run in 2000 instead of his nitwit brother. He would have been a much better President.

Family Dynasties = Much Democracy

So it looks like it will be a Clinton Vs. Bush, round 2.

:lol:

Isn't America suppose to be the greatest democracy in the world? :P

So it looks like it will be a Clinton Vs. Bush, round 2.

:lol:

Isn't America suppose to be the greatest democracy in the world? :P

Well, technically, it's a Republic. ;)

LOL, you got me there. :thumbsup:

What???? Nobody was here to see this ^^^^^^^^

Fuck you guys! :lol:

"Sec. 538. None of the funds made available in this Act to the Department of Justice may be used, with respect to the States of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin, to prevent such States from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana. Sec. 539. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used in contravention of section 7606 (``Legitimacy of Industrial Hemp Research'') of the Agricultural Act of 2014 (Public Law 113-79) by the Department of Justice or the Drug Enforcement Administration."

Federal ban on medical marijuana lifted.

Wasn't this a largely Republican supported bill that Nancy Lelosi said she was "disappointed" that Obama agreed to?

Axlisold just fancies a spliff basically :lol:

I'm in Washington, it's legal recreationally here anyway. I just find it ridiculous that they classify method and weed in the same group, more dangerous than heroin and cocaine.

Jindel isn't bad, at least he acknowledged after the last Presidential election that the GOP needed to stop being the party of stupid. It's a shame no bothered to listen to him so far.

Well, I'm going to walk back this comment considering Jindel's tweet on Obama's new Cuban policy:

“Ruthless dictators like Assad, Putin and Castro think Obama is an easy mark and will be sorry to see him go.”

:facepalm:

Guess Jindel hasn't bothered to check in on Russia's economy of late. Or forgetting that Assad gave up his chemical weapon stockpile all the while fighting ISIS, the same group the U.S. is currently bombing.

Fucking idiot.

Redundant politicians are the runny nose of a larger, systemic problem.

Corruption.

Deep, sub-basement level corruption that goes in so far, it actually behooves you to: compromise your ethics; court lobbyists; reduce your platform to monosyllabic, incendiary buzzwords...and get reelected. This will continue because the very infrastructure incentivises that behaviour.

1 person likes this

I read this today and thought it was amusing:

"In 2012, Pawlenty said a GOP president could generate 5% growth; Romney said a GOP president could get 6% unemployment, and Gingrich said a GOP president could get gas to $2.50 a gallon.

By Republican standards, is President Obama a striking success?"

[Currently, U.S. GDP growth is 5 percent, the national U.S. unemployment is 5.8 percent, and the average price for a gallon of gas in the U.S. is $2.36 a gallon]

1 person likes this

How many years are we gonna push this "recovery" story until we admit it's bullshit? This is year 5, right? :lol:

Edited by magisme

How many years are we gonna push this "recovery" story until we admit it's bullshit? This is year 5, right? :lol:

Everything's relative. From a macroeconomic perspective there has definitely been a recovery. But looking at the microeconomic picture for poor and middle-class Americans (depending on where you live), there's been no recovery whatsoever. So point taken.

Everything's relative. From a macroeconomic perspective there has definitely been a recovery. But looking at the microeconomic picture for poor and middle-class Americans (depending on where you live), there's been no recovery whatsoever. So point taken.

I hear luxury car makers and high end real estate have recovered quite well.

Edited by magisme

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/jindal-stuck-after-spreading-discredited-myth

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ®, as expected, traveled to London yesterday and delivered a striking set of remarks, arguing among other things, “It is startling to think that any country would allow, even unofficially, for a so-called ‘no-go zone.’”

To briefly recap, far-right voices have pushed a line, amplified by conservative media, that in Britain and elsewhere, there are Muslim-majority communities in which non-Muslims – even local law enforcement – simply do not go. In reality, these “no-go zones” do not exist, a point even Fox News conceded over the weekend.

Jindal nevertheless continues to pretend the far-right myth is real, adding that “Islam has a problem.” In his remarks yesterday, referring to Muslims, the Louisiana Republican and likely presidential candidate went on to say, “t is their problem, and they need to deal with it.”

After the speech, Jindal told NBC News that he supports “legal immigration,” but added, “n many ways, you’re looking at folks that want to come and, in some ways, they want to overturn our culture they want to come in and almost colonize our countries.”

In a separate interview with CNN, Jindal continued to push the “no-go zones” argument, prompting a British interviewer to say, “You have to have proper facts to back that up. I’ve lived here a long time; I don’t know of any ‘no-go zones.’” The Republican replied:

“Well, I did say ‘so-called no-go zones.’ I think that the radical left absolutely wants to pretend like this problem is not here. Pretending it’s not here won’t make it go away.”

Remember, Jindal’s the one who said he wants Republicans to stop being “the stupid party.”

The interview between the governor and CNN’s Max Foster continued to be cringe-worthy:

FOSTER: Exaggerating [a possible problem] to “no-go zones” is also going too far.

JINDAL: There are people here in London who will tell you there are neighborhoods where women don’t feel safe walking through those neighborhoods without veils. There are neighborhoods where the police are less likely to go. That’s a dangerous thing.

FOSTER: When you make an assertion like that, you need to give me the area, so we can look at it, because I haven’t heard of one.

When Jindal said there are dangerous parts of London where people are uncomfortable, Foster explained that there are areas with higher crime rates, but “it’s not because there are too many Muslims there.”

Jindal replied, “I know the left wants to make this into an attack on religion and that’s not what this is.”

Got it. The far-right Republican just delivered a speech in which he said “Islam has a problem,” and brazenly sticks to a lie about imaginary “no-go zones” for non-Muslims, but it’s “the left” that “wants to make this into an attack on religion.”

It’s certainly possible that Republican presidential primary voters will find Jindal’s paranoid incoherence persuasive, but for everyone else, Jindal’s British escapade was more shameful than presidential.​

Really giving Hitlery plenty of ammo for the election isn't he?

Jindal is the guy who, just two years ago, said that the Republican Party needed to stop being the "stupid party."

Yeah he's really going downhill. This always happens to good Republicans before the election.

Anyone catch the State of the Union Speech? I completely spaced and missed the first half. Pretty standard speech, though I thought Obama picked up at the end. His oratory skills always seem to be a bit more polished when speaking in generalities than specifics. But I suppose that's likely the case for most people (exception going to Clinton, who seems to exude more confidence the more specific he gets on topics).

Had to mute the "Tea Party" response. I seriously tried, but the guy is so full of shit I just couldn't get through it. Someone needs to tell that guy that ideology does not necessarily translate into common sense. I find it ridiculous that news outfits give the Tea Party time on their broadcasts. Republicans already get an "official" response. It's like they're trying to one up each other who can sound the must batshit crazy.