Metal Gear Sold V

AtariLegend

Anyone else looking forward? It's released here in the UK on Tuesday and I'm almost tempted/sad enough to go to a Midnight launch. Although I won't since I can't stand kids.

This has been getting ridiculously great reviews from Time/GameSpot ect.

These are some quotes from Time.

"Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Is the Best Metal Gear Ever"

"The new pinnacle of stealth gaming, and a triumphant farewell from one of the medium's brightest luminaries."

"The holy grail of world-building games"

http://time.com/4008685/metal-gear-solid-phantom-pain-review/

http://www.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/

Will it live up to the hype? Hopefully it's fucking better than Ground Zeroes which was basically the most expensive demo I've ever bought.

I can't fucking wait, and so help me god if someone ruins it in here. Ground Zeroes should have never been sold for the price it was, it should've been for about £10 as those standalone DLC games usually are (think Assassin's Creed IV: Freedom Cry and inFamous Second Sun: First Light). However, I also thought it was absolute brilliant in terms of gameplay, and gave a great example of how even this one base can be used for at least five or six drastically different missions. I'm not going to a midnight launch, but I've pre-ordered it so should have it around lunchtime on Tuesday.

I'm not a huge fan of MGS4. I don't think it was any better than the first three. It's a very good game, but it's overrated. I couldn't really get into Peace Walker either, but in its defence I never really gave it a proper go.

I'm not a huge fan of MGS4. I don't think it was any better than the first three. It's a very good game, but it's overrated. I couldn't really get into Peace Walker either, but in its defence I never really gave it a proper go.

As someone who's only just now getting into the series, 4 was probably my second-favorite. 3 seems far and away the best in the series. 1 and 2 just have somewhat archaic control schemes to really get into them in 2015. I enjoyed 2 but not as much as I would have with actual camera controls and the such (which is a shame since it came out late enough that it really should have been better about those things and they were ultimately a bad design decision on Kojima's part).

4 definitely had its share of problems, though. While I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the boss fights and how intense they felt, I didn't think any of them were actually particularly fun. The Beauty & the Beast unit was also the weakest unit by far in the series and was ultimately just a callback to all of the previous ones with no actual fleshing out of their own. And ultimately there were just so many references to previous games in the series that it felt unintentionally corny at many moments.

The Twin Snakes is great for a nostalgia trip, but it's ridiculously easy because you can shoot in first person view and has all the mechanics of Sons Of Liberty, which the game obviously wasn't designed for. My issue with MGS4 is that it doesn't really stand all that well by itself. The other three can all exist as their own stories, linked into this timeline, but MGS4 has a really weak story outside of the overall arch. Which is fine I guess, but I've been an enormous fan of the series and I just found it to be a bit too much of what I didn't like about it.

I will say that returning to Shadow Moses is one of the best moments in gaming, let alone the seeies.

• 2 weeks later...

i put this down for mad max.

meh i just find MGS V extremely overrated, there is basically 3 missions. destroy X, rescue Y, or assassinate Z over and over and over again. the mechanics themselves the stealth(although enemies are dumb as shit) the shooting and all that are very well done and the game looks great but its an open world game that is completely empty. the only thing in the world are enemies, camps and sheep. there are no civilians, or villages. then on top of it the mountains cut most of the map off. you can only infiltrate bases from 2 directions with slight variations and paths. then on top of that you have mother base which is just pointless no real reason to go there other than story bits and to take a shower. mad max has a lot of repetition but at least in that game if i want to stop blowing up bases i can go race or take down convoys or tune up my car and go hit some crazy jumps in the wasteland.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually having a major change of heart about this now.

The two areas where you spend most of the game are generic. Afghanistan only really feels big, because of the mountains. It's ridiculous repetitive visiting the same area 11 times for 9 different side ops and at least 2 missions.

The game play is fine and fun at first. Then it just becomes too easy. If you have Quiet as a buddy she practically solo's bases on her own while you run into extract the 17th anonymous person kept prisoner in the same bases. The side quests are fun for the first 50 hours, then it just becomes too much.

The story is pretty bad too. I'm not going to mention spoilers, but this is the worst written game in the main series. It promises so much at the start and you feel like your set up to play a completely different game. The fucking credits that spoil the little story that there is before every mission is annoying and at the end too?

Boss fights are really bad too and too easy.

I loved these games for years, now I'm just disappointment. Confused why it took so long to make, it's practically rinse/repeat for most of it. The helicopter taking so long to arrive for most of the game is annoying too.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

The fucking credits that spoil the little story that there is before every mission is annoying and at the end too

That was one thing I hated about this game with the missions, there was nothing surprising because it lets you know at the beginning what to expect during the mission. The boss fights would have been more interesting if it didn't say at the start of the mission something like "Starring The SKULLS Parasite Unit" so you know what's coming

Honestly this game feels half-finished and half-assed, likely due to Kojima leaving Konami during development

Edited by Gackt

I'm actually having a major change of heart about this now.

The two areas where you spend most of the game are generic. Afghanistan only really feels big, because of the mountains. It's ridiculous repetitive visiting the same area 11 times for 9 different side ops and at least 2 missions.

The game play is fine and fun at first. Then it just becomes too easy. If you have Quiet as a buddy she practically solo's bases on her own while you run into extract the 17th anonymous person kept prisoner in the same bases. The side quests are fun for the first 50 hours, then it just becomes too much.

The story is pretty bad too. I'm not going to mention spoilers, but this is the worst written game in the main series. It promises so much at the start and you feel like your set up to play a completely different game. The fucking credits that spoil the little story that there is before every mission is annoying and at the end too?

Boss fights are really bad too and too easy.

I loved these games for years, now I'm just disappointment. Confused why it took so long to make, it's practically rinse/repeat for most of it. The helicopter taking so long to arrive for most of the game is annoying too.

4e980c23fde27e6b9e22f2f5bfd5e70613f4038e

yeah i agree. how this game received 10/10 GOTY is baffling to me.

It's very definitely unfinished, but I don't blame Hideo Kojima for that. Konami absolutely fucked him. The Phantom Pain is an apt title, because you really do feel the pain of what isn't there (an entire third chapter, a third region). The parts I like I absolutely love, and the parts i don't like I really hate. You can almost make out the vision, but it just isn't there. I love the gameplay though, but it certainly is rushed and unfinished.

• Like 1

It's very definitely unfinished, but I don't blame Hideo Kojima for that. Konami absolutely fucked him. The Phantom Pain is an apt title, because you really do feel the pain of what isn't there (an entire third chapter, a third region). The parts I like I absolutely love, and the parts i don't like I really hate. You can almost make out the vision, but it just isn't there. I love the gameplay though, but it certainly is rushed and unfinished.

the overall mechanics of the game are awesome but in the 20 or 25 hours i played, the game had a feeling like it was just cut and pasted everywhere. the open world is just unbelievably dead and pretty linear for an open world.

Gameplay is good, it's just not enough.

Like Conor said there should have been an Act 3. Act 2 doesn't really feel finished, it's just a bunch of randomly un-related events that happen. You're supposed to assume that it's building to Big Boss becoming the villain, instead you get none of that.

4 big villains Skull Face/Psycho Mantis/Burning Man/Eli. None of them get proper boss fights. I know there was an unfinished chapter 51 that got cut/posted online. It might seem cool, but even if it was included there needed to be more.

I don't really feel like there's a pay off. The big twist is fine, but wait that's it? How does half of this tie into the original Metal Gear games as a prequel. Story just spins around and goes no where in chapter 2.

Really dislike that half of chapter 2 is re-running chapter 1 missions with new gimmicks (Total Stealth/Subsistence ect). Mission 46 should have been a cut scene, was there any need to make us repay the entire mission again?

I can't be the only one that expected areas like New York or Paris/London or Antarctica, Jungle or some excluded island to show up later on? Angola is just lazy and uninteresting.

There's more story included in the Cassette tapes than the main game. I guess they decided no one wanted a cut scene explaining exactly what was going on.

Edited by AtariLegend