HTGTH Alternate Offshoot Universe Scenario

Brunzopolis

The intent of this thread isn't one of mean-spiritedness. I've got no axe to grind against Jarmo or his forum. The mod policy there is silly, imo, but that's irrelevant here.

What I'm interested in, is the psychology of a segment of the posters, given recent developments.

With that out of the way...

There's a certain kind of fan, more abundant on HTGTH than here. They display an allegiance that is so strong, that it can sometimes, seemingly blind them to things that others can see plainly. For example, maybe Axl's voice.

"I thought Axl's voice at the 02' VMA's was perfect."

Maybe inexplicably, it really did sound that way to them. Or maybe for some, this is just the opinion they state publicly, out of allegiance; or, out of the need to save face/maintain consistency with things they've said previously. It's an ego defense mechanism, perhaps.

It's a very understandable (and common) human behavior, and one that you maybe see most often in 'fandom'. Fans of anything. TV shows, bands, whatever.

We all know this type of behavior, or maybe even remember when we displayed it ourselves. Since we're talking about GNR fans and forums, think about a prototypical "die-hard HTGTH Axl fan". With that idea in mind, let's now say...

There's a reunion.

Slash, and a core of the old lineup are back. Axl, directly, or indirectly, bluntly, or subtly, shits on NuGNR. It becomes apparent that Axl never really cared for any of the NuGNR members - maybe even just musically. The reunited guns lineup proceed to profess their love for eachother. Maybe at one point Axl says something like: "I regret the war of words and all the negativity over the years on both sides. I'm just glad we've put all that behind us and things are back as they should be."

At this point, there aren't a lot of appealing options for a "die-hard HTGTH Axl fan". I can't think of any, really.

At one point, our nameless fan was likely as big a supporter of Slash as they are now of Axl. When the split happened, they chose Axl. Everyone that joined "Team Axl", they too supported.

An Slash/Axl reconciliation puts this fan in a major bind. They were on team Axl. Team Axl was at war with Team Slash. But now their leader and enemy are on the same team.

To maintain their own ego/integrity, this fan will, I predict, turn on Axl in the same way they once turned on Slash.

The NuGNR-minus-Axl (fuck Axl!) community/belief system is born. Maybe they even start their own forum, with threads like:

"Who else thinks Tommy and Ashba should start their own band? Who should be the singer?"

"Has Bumblefoot forgiven Axl?

"I remixed Use Your Illusion III with Brain on drums!! Let me know what you think!"

Edited by Brunzopolis