Is DJ Ashba actually capable of playing the SCOM solo in its entirety?

Towelie

Believe it or not, this is not meant as another DJ hate thread, but I always found it curious that ever since DJ joined the band, they split the SCOM solo in half, letting DJ take the relatively easy first part and then Ron taking over when that fast run begins. Obviously the original solo was played in its entirety by Slash, but even when NuGNR started, Robin Finck managed to pull off the entire solo.

As a guitarist myself, it did take me some time to nail the fast runs, but I got there in the end, and there's a million Youtube guitarists who could play this solo in their sleep. So, did GNR really have a lead guitarist who wasn't capable of playing the whole solo, or do you think they just decided to split it into two to share the parts more evenly?

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

He can, but it was during the Rehearsals for the 2009 shows, bumble was streaming some clips were you can hear DJ SCOM solo.

It sounded really really really bad, everyone on this boards went nutz. I think that was a big part on why Bumble was ended playing the thing.

Any link?

He can, but it was during the Rehearsals for the 2009 shows, bumble was streaming some clips were you can hear DJ SCOM solo.

It sounded really really really bad, everyone on this boards went nutz. I think that was a big part on why Bumble was ended playing the thing.

Any link?

Someone may have those clips around here, i don't have them.

DJ had to simplify the Don't Cry solo which is one of the easiest Slash solos. I fear what his full SCOM solo would have sounded like.

Robin never once played the solo correctly. Ever.

This. I don't mind that he changed some of it during the second half (I mean, Bumble did too) but his sloppiness on the first half and the simplified run was generally awful.

Why do people say that a guitarist 'messes up' a solo when he plays it his own way?
Like, if Joe Perry did a Zeppelin cover and played a solo differently, is it because he lacks the ability to play it and is 'butchering' the solo, or just doing his own take?

When Mick Taylor was in the Stones he often played the songs EXTREMELY different from the studio version but I don't think anyone would question his ability with the guitar.

Why do people say that a guitarist 'messes up' a solo when he plays it his own way?

Like, if Joe Perry did a Zeppelin cover and played a solo differently, is it because he lacks the ability to play it and is 'butchering' the solo, or just doing his own take?

When Mick Taylor was in the Stones he often played the songs EXTREMELY different from the studio version but I don't think anyone would question his ability with the guitar

Because when someone cops out and plays an obviously inferior solo in terms of skill, one has to wonder why. If "your style" is something blatantly easier, it's blatantly obvious why if you have any musical talent.

• Like 2

When Mick Taylor was in the Stones he often played the songs EXTREMELY different from the studio version but I don't think anyone would question his ability with the guitar.

Using this logic would say that Brian Johnson should go off and sing his "own versions" of classic AC/DC songs recorded by Bonn Scott, just 'cause he can.

To me, only the original composer has the right to wander off track with a composition, its theirs to fuck with after all but within reason.

I have no problem with musicians doing completely different versions of songs, in fact I really like that idea when its done well.

Having worked as a professional musician and met lots of guitar players, lots of times they do their "own version of a solo" because they are too lazy, arrogant or incompetent to deliver the original as the fans want it.

In large gigs where classic songs are being played, the crowd can be as much up for the solo as the vocal, they are as big a part of the DNA as the vocal, fuck with that and you are denying a huge portion of the crowd what they came for. Its not good business, especially if you're the third guitarist removed from the original guy that wrote the tune you're playing.

• Like 2