Dickinson: "I should have punched in Axl Rose"

1441289593.jpg

Bruce ensured that Quebec and Montreal will be in the band route on the upcoming tour and when asked about the memories of his previous visits to Canada, Bruce Dickinson said with humor reminiscent of a time he wanted to hit Axl Rose at the Colisée de Québec.

Guns N 'Roses opened the show of Iron Maiden and, according to Dickinson, Axl Rose would have told the public that the Maiden was only the main attraction because he spoke French. "I should have gone to the stage and punched him. How could he dare to talk to my audience in this way? I always regretted not having done so."

http://whiplash.net/materias/news_799/229679-ironmaiden.html

What is Axl saying in that interview about Donnington anyway?

I've never really understood it. Like what does Maiden stand for... what is their political statement? What is he taking issue with?

Edited by Ant

I've never really understood it. Like what does Maiden stand for... what is their political statement? What is he taking issue with?

No, Axl is making an analogy. Hes not actually referring to politics.

• Like 1

As I recall, Guns N' Roses pretty famously hated opening for Iron Maiden and tried numerous things to get fired from the tour. In that context, seems as though Axl's statement might have been one more deliberate attempt to piss them off enough to get kicked out. :)

I think at the time Iron Maiden was seen by some as being sort of right-wing and they had their very political songs like The Trooper and such and I guess Axl and the guys in 1987 didn't care for that

As I recall, Guns N' Roses pretty famously hated opening for Iron Maiden and tried numerous things to get fired from the tour. In that context, seems as though Axl's statement might have been one more deliberate attempt to piss them off enough to get kicked out. :)

They wrote "It Tastes Good, Don't It?" to be as obscene as possible just for the purpose of getting kicked off the tour.

i wouldnt call the trooper all that political. steve harris likes to write about historical battles. the trooper was just a song about the crimean war. 2 midnights is political but its not really about left/right or anything like that its more about how fucked up we are spending crazy amounts of money just to kill each other and wipe ourselves off the face of the planet.

• Like 1

I do remember Axl saying 'I certainly hope not' in response to an interviewer at Donnington asking if his band had any similarities to Maiden but I'm sure Axl was just joking regarding this, seems pretty stupid to come out and crack him for joking with the audience, I just believe if Axl really had a major problem with a band he was supporting knowing him he'd come out with something pretty content heavy.

edit - Reading some comments up above I guess it was part of a bigger picture, interesting to read about.

Edited by RandallFlagg

Maiden wrote some politically fueled songs (Be Quick Or Be Dead and Mother Russia Spring to mind), but certainly nothing by 1988.

yeah exactly, the only thing remotely political was the original idea for the killers album cover but that was scrapped(outside of an ep or single). i honestly never thought of iron maiden as a political band.

Edited by bran