Buckethead

Billsfan

560239_10150781150087456_1087687272_n.jp

He was alright for the one minute that I "met" him back in 2012 after a solo show but his "handler" told me he wouldn't sign my Chinese Democracy vinyl. I knew he wouldn't talk and he just nodded when I asked him to take a picture ( I was the only one waiting after the show ,behind the venue) I think people take his gimmick too seriously. There are thousands of shredders/guitar virtuoso's but Bucket's gimmick helped him to stand out and land a spot in Guns. The guy is obviously talented and it was always laughable when people dismissed his abilities based on his costume. Maybe because I am an adult, I like a band for their music and I'm not concerned with what they wear as so many seem to be on here with Axl's clothes/hair etc. I understand GN'R had/has an image but I guess I'm just not that concerned with what grown ass men choose to wear.

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 1

BH is a clown. Maybe a talented clown, but still a clown.

Axl did a big mistake when he hired him. Can anybody imagine the Rolling Stones, AC/DC or Aerosmith hiring a guy with a KFC bucket on his head and wearing a mask? Neither can I.

I guess you must have missed my above posts about caring too much about someone's image. Who cares what he is wearing? As a fan,why does his gimmick/costume effect your enjoyment of his music?

Edited by Subtle Signs

A rock show is not only about music. It's also about image. If you didn't notice that, then you still don't know what rock'n'roll is about.

I've been a GN'R fan since 1988 and I first saw them live in 1992,Son. I am well aware of the importance of image in rock music. I think I have an idea of what rock n roll is about.Broham. Anyway we can debate Buckethead in another thread I'm sure. This is about Marc's experience with him. I only posted since I "met" Bucket and I've hardly read about any fan experiences with him on here.

Edited by Subtle Signs

Hey Marc! Saw in a different thread you saying you met Buckethead..What was that like? What is he like? What are your thoughts on him as a musician?

Bucket was cool. I remember the first time I heard about him, Axl came by my house and showed me a bucked head CD and said "I want you to hear this guy". I said thats your guy before i even heard the CD. I think Bucket is a great guitar player and not because he can play fast. I also think Bucket has an image unlike a lot of the guitar players that are around today. I know that it may have not been a GNR image that a lot of people were expecting but still he had a presence and you really don't see that in guitar players anymore. Also he played the old guitar parts really well and even added his own touch sometimes like at the end on in Nightrain and NR. He was very humble and didn't try to upstage Slash. Off stage he was a very nice guy.

Don't get me wrong no one can replace Slash, there is only one Slash but since Slash was not going to be there, Bucket was a good choice. Also Axl worked well on the things that Bucket came up with. Remember when you change the cooks in the kitchen the food is going to taste different but still going to be something good as long as there are good cooks.

Marc, just out of curiosity was Axl as equally excited to work with Robin once he was in Guns' or was Buckehead joining perhaps the most excited Axl had been for the future of Guns' since Slash left?

Buckethead had played around LA for a while by the time he joined GNR, but I just think he was doing something along the lines of The Residents or KISS where he could just disappear and be anonymous after a show, and it just allowed him be creatively weird on stage. Maybe in the studio was taking it too far, but I can see why Bootsy enjoys working with him. It's just how he left was never really explained and for him not to sign ChiDem sounds like he's bitter about it, but it brought him an audience. It did come across Axl felt used.

560239_10150781150087456_1087687272_n.jp

He was alright for the one minute that I "met" him back in 2012 after a solo show but his "handler" told me he wouldn't sign my Chinese Democracy vinyl. I knew he wouldn't talk and he just nodded when I asked him to take a picture ( I was the only one waiting after the show ,behind the venue) I think people take his gimmick too seriously. There are thousands of shredders/guitar virtuoso's but Bucket's gimmick helped him to stand out and land a spot in Guns. The guy is obviously talented and it was always laughable when people dismissed his abilities based on his costume. Maybe because I am an adult, I like a band for their music and I'm not concerned with what they wear as so many seem to be on here with Axl's clothes/hair etc. I understand GN'R had/has an image but I guess I'm just not that concerned with what grown ass men choose to wear.

Bucket was perfect for GNR IMHO. Agreed, looks don't mean jack. Wonder why he wouldn't sign your vinyl?

Hey Marc! Saw in a different thread you saying you met Buckethead..What was that like? What is he like? What are your thoughts on him as a musician?

Bucket was cool. I remember the first time I heard about him, Axl came by my house and showed me a bucked head CD and said "I want you to hear this guy". I said thats your guy before i even heard the CD. I think Bucket is a great guitar player and not because he can play fast. I also think Bucket has an image unlike a lot of the guitar players that are around today. I know that it may have not been a GNR image that a lot of people were expecting but still he had a presence and you really don't see that in guitar players anymore. Also he played the old guitar parts really well and even added his own touch sometimes like at the end on in Nightrain and NR. He was very humble and didn't try to upstage Slash. Off stage he was a very nice guy.

Don't get me wrong no one can replace Slash, there is only one Slash but since Slash was not going to be there, Bucket was a good choice. Also Axl worked well on the things that Bucket came up with. Remember when you change the cooks in the kitchen the food is going to taste different but still going to be something good as long as there are good cooks.

Thanks for the answer Marc! Awesome stuff!

Nice guy huh...so you've seen him without his mask then? And you've heard him talk?! Like I need another reason to be jealous over never being able to walk a mile in your shoes as far as GNR goes..