AFD track order

WAR41

Hey Marc,

How much thought was put into the AFD track order? Was this something the band was heavily involved in or did Geffen put the order together? I think opening with WTTJ was clearly a no brainer, but I am curious what the thought behind the rest of the listing was. I think Paradise City is a great show closer for the band and I think it would have made a great album closer as well.

Heck just for fun here would be my track order if the band asked for my input. And to be clear to everyone not named Marc Canter this is NOT a criticism of AFD.

1) WTTJ

2) Its So Easy

3) Mr. Brownstone

4) Out Ta Get Me

5) You're Crazy

6) Think About You

7) My Michelle

8) Anything Goes

9) Nightrain

10) Rocket Queen

11) Sweet Child

12) Paradise City

I remembering there being more thought put in for the UYI records. To me WTTJ and Its So Easy is the best way to start And I do agree that Paradise City should be some sort of of a closing song but the way they did is was good because it was on the end of side one of the record or casset tape. I think the order that they ended up with was great and has a real nice flow. Once you start it, you end up leaving it until the end of Rockeet Queen. There are not many records that you can say are great all the way through. Back In Black is one but still doesn't have the kick in the face you get from AFD. Also AFD changed music for ever where Back In Black was just a great collection of new AC/DC songs for that year and was a good comeback record after losing Bon Scott. AFD had much more of a range of different vocal styles, a new style of songwriting, guitar playing, and sound. It was something new and fresh and will always stand the test of time.

Edited by recklessroad
  • Like 1

I read a quote (it may even have been in Marc’s book) where Tom Zutaut said that it was a very deliberate move to not have SCOM near the start.

He said he didn’t want it being the first thing Geffen execs heard as he was concerned that it would then all be about SCOM when he felt that ISE, Nightrain etc. said more about what the band was all about.

Zutaut reckoned he told someone else at the label there was a song on the album that was guaranteed to be a hit all over the world but he didn’t tell him which one, and his colleague never made it as far as SCOM when listening to the album!

Paradise City's the closer on side G, man. I hear what you're saying, because with the solidness of the album and the overarching vibe, you could arrange it in many reasonable combinations.

Dude I totally didn't think of that. I forgot that this was still the cassette/vinyl era. That actually adds another layer to it that I didn't think of. The G side seems to be the decadent, angry, drug GNR songs while the R side seems to lean towards songs about women and relationships.

i don't know about Nightrain being that late....that was the track that really pulled me in when i first listened to AFD

i had already heard WTTJ and ISE was an good but nothing crazy then came Nightrain oozing with swagger that made GNR so good

really made me realize that GNR was the shit

Paradise City's the closer on side G, man. I hear what you're saying, because with the solidness of the album and the overarching vibe, you could arrange it in many reasonable combinations.

Dude I totally didn't think of that. I forgot that this was still the cassette/vinyl era. That actually adds another layer to it that I didn't think of. The G side seems to be the decadent, angry, drug GNR songs while the R side seems to lean towards songs about women and relationships.

yeah thats how they set it up

side Guns - Gritty street records

side Roses - the songs about Girls

yeah thats how they set it up

side Guns - Gritty street records

side Roses - the songs about Girls

That's awespme. Never looked at it that way.