Axl burning a Nirvana hat with the band playing Smells Like Teen Spirit in the background

Anyone know much about the context of this event? I can only make out some of what Axl is saying. Sounds like he says something about used to liking Nirvana, something about them being a band made up of wusses, and they (Nirvana) act like they're the only band doing anything different (?) in the world

I think the band starts playing Smells Like Teen Spirit in the background. The way they play it, to me, It sounds sort of eerie. Cool video.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

Axl was such a pussy back in the day. Just like Cobain.

You really think so? Axl understood theatrics and being a successful frontman IMO. The kings of establishment rock (and the last great rock band of a certain rock era) torching an emblem representing their competition (who liked to get a rise out of Axl) on their historic world tour doesn't seem too much like an emotionally (the way I read your use of the word pussy came off as 'doing emotional things') whiny thing to do. Sounds like a strong demonstration of strength in response to critics

You really think so? Axl understood theatrics and being a successful frontman IMO. The kings of establishment rock (and the last great rock band of a certain rock era) torching an emblem representing their competition (who liked to get a rise out of Axl) on their historic world tour doesn't seem too much like an emotionally (the way I read your use of the word pussy came off as 'doing emotional things') whiny thing to do. Sounds like a strong demonstration of strength in response to critics

Jesus, do you really believe this?

You don't believe they weren't the kings of establishment rock in the early 90s? You don't believe Axl was theatrical? You don't believe Axl was a successful frontman? You don't believe GNR were the last great rock n' roll band? Okay

You don't believe they weren't the kings of establishment rock in the early 90s? You don't believe Axl was theatrical? You don't believe Axl was a successful frontman? You don't believe GNR were the last great rock n' roll band? Okay

some people say they don't cuz its cool to do that

No, I don't.

basically Nirvana made Axl look like a fool and this was his way of getting back at them

he was a fan and wanted them on tour but he is pretty much everything Nirvana was against so they blew him off and dissed GNR

this is a time you can't really blame Axl, he extended his hand and Kurt spit on it

Edited by -HollywoodRose-
  • Like 2

Axl fans are hilarious.

If the situation were reversed people would be saying how stupid and immature Cobain was for doing it.

Axl fan here (but I like all the guys in GNR and of course I have major issues with Axl), and I disagree. I have no issue with Grohl mockingly call out to Axl at that MTV VMA Nirvana performance. When you don't like someone, you're not allowed to express that? What kind of nonsense thinking is that?

• Like 1

Bitch move, why would you be so shook because some skinny fuckin' loser (as Axl and GnR fans concluded Kurt was) doesn't wanna play with you? Why act so fuckin' shook about it in public? Classic fuckin' insecurity case, you're in a massive fuckin' band with a massive fuckin' fanbase, no one can damage your position in regards to what you are and who you are and how people feel about you but you yourself, why go fuckin' chasing this little fuckin' band and make a point of fuckin' insulting them...for what, whats it achieve? It's like the heavyweight champ having a go at the number 8 or number 7 contender cuz he made disparaging remarks about you, a champ with class doesn't do it, he just continues on being the champ and letting the little underlings murmur on beneath him and let his record and his continuing maintainence of that record speak for itself.

The truth is those comments deeply bothered Axl and got him right at his core, because there's nothing that hurts a man like thats feelings more than being thought of as uncool, you can tell that in the way he tries (or tried back then) so hard to act cool. So what do you do? You switch it on em like 'Kurt Cobain thinks he's too cool to bring his rock n roll to you'.

The same people that he was tryna hang with and get on side with and be all buddy buddy with, once they tell him where to go he's like mocking the 'alternative' and the 'alternative lifestyle'...so you try and hang out with the cool kids but when they tell you to fuck off you run off in tears going 'i didn't wannabe a part of your stupid club ANYWAY!' :lol:

For Axl it took effort and a deliberate to push for him to become or to seem like what Kurt Cobain was effortlessly...and thats an artist. Axl had to reinvent himself to be that, to run away and hide in a studio trying to figure out a bunch of useless machinery, take all his gay glam gear off and put some glasses on and get all serious. Kurt was an artist when he was living in a furniture-less shithole making paintings and trying to catch his escaped turtles.

It's a bitch move, flat out, it's girlie, it's petty and as the bigger factor in the equation its kinda like you bringing yourself down a notch or two.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Cobain name & shamed loads of bands..including Pearl Jam & AIC (Had a better sound than Nirvana IMO) I honestly think Kurt thought Nirvana appeared out of nowhere and headed straight to the top of the rock world but I believe the likes of Metallica (Had a huge underground following, Guns N' Roses (One of the biggest momentum of any young band), Black Flag, Pixies, Killing Joke and other bands paved the way for a band like Nirvana to step into the limelight because those bands mentioned where harder, more original than the hair metal scene and to a slight degree distanced themselves from it...compared with 'Bleach' 'Nevermind' sounds commercial? But definitely right time, right place, SLTS on constant rotation on MTV & radio. Noel Gallagher said it best.

tumblr_mcf2icr1jg1r8tm3bo1_500.jpg

Edited by wkuk04

I think really though Nirvana just over took everyone. They were the new thing in the mainstream. I think Axl was just like everyone else. He said something positive. Kurt attacked him. That was his thing, that Nirvana were more punk than these other fakers. And GNR were the dinosaur band. It was something they seemed scared of becoming.

What is funny is a band like Mudhoney were always complaining about these bands that joined a major label and pretended to be anti establishment or whatever.

So Kurt kind of trapped himself with these early interviews. There was nowhere to go and no way to enjoy the money or fame. He's right maybe it is all ghastly but you can also have some fun somehow like Keef or just find a way like Dylan. But he was never going to be partying with P Diddy at the Playboy mansion.

Dave Navarro was on some celebrity poker tv show and I just don't see Kurt pulling through in that way. Like Courtney did reinvent and play the game. Maybe he needed a singer like Axl to blame. Like Keef and Slash can be cool and Axl and Mick take all the shit.

• Like 1

Cobain name & shamed loads of bands..including Pearl Jam & AIC (Had a better sound than Nirvana IMO) I honestly think Kurt thought Nirvana appeared out of nowhere and headed straight to the top of the rock world but I believe the likes of Metallica (Had a huge underground following, Guns N' Roses (One of the biggest momentum of any young band), Black Flag, Pixies, Killing Joke and other bands paved the way for a band like Nirvana to step into the limelight because those bands mentioned where harder, more original than the hair metal scene and to a slight degree distanced themselves from it...compared with 'Bleach' 'Nevermind' sounds commercial? But definitely right time, right place, SLTS on constant rotation on MTV & radio. Noel Gallagher said it best.

He also said Nirvana were one of the best bands he'd ever heard and Kurt wrote fantastic songs. And that quote is a giant misquote, because he never heard the song because the song is nothing to do with suicide, the song is actually very jokey, unless Noel thought the lyric 'think of how a castrated horse feels' was some sort of clarion call to mass suicide :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

But Noel is the Brit version of the Axl stereotype, tough, bad guy, rebel... whatever you wanna call it... a fucking cliche.

I think Cobain was emotinally too screwed up for fame and money to make a difference in how he really felt about himself and about life.

True...I'd have loved to go cardigan shopping with Kurt.