Rate Chinese

5/10 decent enough album but just doesn't sound like a gnr album should be.[/quot

Read the thread ! We are rating as if it's not a gnr release lol

So far lol

rtmaa1.png

including the below vote

35bwbgo.png

Sweet you did the work for me and in bar graph form no less :D

Yeah. sorry lol. I just noticed a lot of random new people throwing out votes and wanted to see if there was a trend.

You know what be another interesting graph. Average rating against age of poster.

Yeah. Everyone lies about their age on the internet, though. lol May not tell much as the young ones aren't as diehard about original GNR and there are quite a bit of old timer Axl fans. Cancel themselves out.

To be honest: the die hards in 2015 are probably 20 something year old fans....

Most of the oldtimers doesn't give a shit about internet forums or GNR in 2015, lol

7/10. There's a lot of good songs buried under all those layers of sounds, and a couple of really 'meh' tracks. I really wish Axl would release a version of it stripped down to just guitars, bass, drums, and some synth. No other layers besides that.

This ? It could be 9.5/10 if Axl just kept it simple. Beautiful melodies, beautiful lyrics, just overproduced.

Edited by nn18

5/10.

I like-love nearly every song but the leaks and "demos" fucking smoke the horrible versions presented on the album.

IRS is probably my favourite song from Axl's GNR and the one on the album sucks a bag of dicks, mostly thanks to Ron's directionless noodling clogging up all the space in the song, something that mad it so fucking cool.

The leaks or RAR 2006 rendition of IRS is how it should have been...and fuck the "additions" to the title track, Riad and whatever else too.

Tacking Ron and Frank on was a huge mistake IMO, they had no place being on there...bit of a stab in the dark here but I'd have left Paul Tobias' shit intact as much as possible too.

edit: anybody rating the album above 7 is out of their fucking gourd as far as I'm concerned.

Your fav song was wroted by Tobias, too

Lol

No. Title Music Length 1. "Chinese Democracy" Rose, Josh Freese, Paul Tobias, Tommy Stinson, Dizzy Reed, Robin Finck, Caram Costanzo, Eric Caudieux 4:43 2. "Shackler's Revenge" Rose, Finck, Brian Carroll, Costanzo, Bryan Mantia, Pete Scaturro 3:37 3. "Better" Rose, Finck 4:58 4. "Street of Dreams" Rose, Finck, Reed, Stinson, Tobias 4:46 5. "If the World" Rose, Chris Pitman 4:54 6. "There Was a Time" Rose, Tobias, Reed, Stinson 6:41 7. "Catcher in the Rye" Rose, Stinson, Reed, Finck, Tobias 5:53 8. "Scraped" Rose, Carroll, Costanzo 3:30 9. "Riad N' the Bedouins" Rose, Finck, Reed, Stinson, Tobias 4:10 10. "Sorry" Rose, Carroll, Mantia, Scaturro 6:14 11. "I.R.S." Rose, Tobias, Reed 4:28 12. "Madagascar" Rose, Pitman, Martin Luther King, Jr. 5:38 13. "This I Love" Rose 5:34 14. "Prostitute" Rose, Finck, Tobias 6:15

5/10.

I like-love nearly every song but the leaks and "demos" fucking smoke the horrible versions presented on the album.

IRS is probably my favourite song from Axl's GNR and the one on the album sucks a bag of dicks, mostly thanks to Ron's directionless noodling clogging up all the space in the song, something that mad it so fucking cool.

The leaks or RAR 2006 rendition of IRS is how it should have been...and fuck the "additions" to the title track, Riad and whatever else too.

Tacking Ron and Frank on was a huge mistake IMO, they had no place being on there...bit of a stab in the dark here but I'd have left Paul Tobias' shit intact as much as possible too.

edit: anybody rating the album above 7 is out of their fucking gourd as far as I'm concerned.

Your fav song was wroted by Tobias, too

Lol

No. Title Music Length 1. "Chinese Democracy" Rose, Josh Freese, Paul Tobias, Tommy Stinson, Dizzy Reed, Robin Finck, Caram Costanzo, Eric Caudieux 4:43 2. "Shackler's Revenge" Rose, Finck, Brian Carroll, Costanzo, Bryan Mantia, Pete Scaturro 3:37 3. "Better" Rose, Finck 4:58 4. "Street of Dreams" Rose, Finck, Reed, Stinson, Tobias 4:46 5. "If the World" Rose, Chris Pitman 4:54 6. "There Was a Time" Rose, Tobias, Reed, Stinson 6:41 7. "Catcher in the Rye" Rose, Stinson, Reed, Finck, Tobias 5:53 8. "Scraped" Rose, Carroll, Costanzo 3:30 9. "Riad N' the Bedouins" Rose, Finck, Reed, Stinson, Tobias 4:10 10. "Sorry" Rose, Carroll, Mantia, Scaturro 6:14 11. "I.R.S." Rose, Tobias, Reed 4:28 12. "Madagascar" Rose, Pitman, Martin Luther King, Jr. 5:38 13. "This I Love" Rose 5:34 14. "Prostitute" Rose, Finck, Tobias 6:15

I've never engaged in the shitcanning of Paul Tobis/Huge in the context of New GNR.

Dude had no place in the real GNR, but he was as legit as any of the other guys in Axl's band- more so I reckon.

It became cool for smartarses to diss CD around time of release and before with the jokes about how long it took...and "Where's Slash". I bet even a few smartarses listened to it and liked it although they won't admit it because they don't want to appear uncool. They still buy Nickleback albums though.

You could refute just about any opinion of anybodys based on your psychic abilities but it doesn't really count for much :shrugs:

As someone else said, as a 2000's rock album I think it's great. As a gnr album it's a slight let down. The only guns album that it's better than is TSI, and sometimes I even struggle with that. But Appetite, lies, and both illusions are superior. But having said that I do think it's in the same "ballpark" with the other albums individually. I give it a 7.5/10. Appetite is 10/10, lies 8/10, illusion 1 8.5/10 illusion 2 8.3/10 TSI 7.5/10. So it's on par with gnrs other releases, but it just don't quite have the punch that the other ones do.

Half of the album is brilliant imo. Guitar work is exceptional, vocals as well. There is much complexity involved. I'm still discovering cool Pitman parts 7 years after the release.

I like every song except Scraped. Cool riff though. Worst intro ever.

A lot of ballads. Catcher, Twat, Street Of Dreams, Prostitute, Madagascar, Better, This I Love all big guns.

Chinese, Shackler's, I.R.S, Sorry, If The World, Riad still timeless as well.

As a Guns-esque Axl solo album I'd rate it probably a 9 out of 10.

Catcher the best song on the album, followed by Twat, Better, and Street Of Dreams.

And if anyone ever wondered what Bucket can sound like in a hard rock band when he can't fuckin' play an 18 minutes solo and call it a song, that's the best representation of it as far as I'm concerned. (Praxis and shit don't count, though I like it)

Edited by Rovim

Had all the potential to be 8 / 10. Maybe even 9 / 10.

Ended up being steaming dogturd / 10.

Things that went wrong include:

- WAY too overproduced

- Way too layered

- The whole album is trying too hard to be something epic

- Too synthetic, no organic feel whatsoever

- Too incoherent, probably because too many people worked on it, added to it, reworked it etc

- Too long

- The epic 2002 version of The Blues was replaced with a really meh version called Street Of Dreams

- They cut the Brian May parts out of Catcher and made it much worse

- All songs on the album were worse than their leaked demo versions

- Scraped ended up on the album

- Sorry is just bitter and lame

- TIL was a whinefest that redefines boring

- OMG did not end up on the album

- Not every song needs a weird Chris Pitman intro, that shit was way overdone

- So overproduced that it should be mentioned twice

One of the few things that is right about the album, is that Silkworms isn't on it.

Honestly, the whole thing is one long ordeal to sit through.

Edited by username
  • Like 3

Oh my God is mediocre. Nobody cared about it when it was released in 1999. Why should have it been on CD ? To make the album even more mediocre ?

Mediocre would be a serious step up for this album.

Barely anybody knew in 1999. It was in a meh Schwarzenegger movie and it wasn't really promoted in any way. Let alone played live and followed up on. I still think it has potential to be a good rocker. Plus at least it's raw sounding, like the other 2000'ish leaks. Much better sound than the horribly overproduced mess that became Chinese Democracy. With that sound and a few tweaks it would have worked fine on an album. Maybe not as a single, but definitely as an album track.

9/10 as a GN'R record

9/10 if it was an Axl solo project

My vote wouldn't change as it is the music that speaks fot itself.

Honestly I don't think we need an AFD reunion(with a new record) as we already have AFD, Lies and the illusion records. The best scenario is definitely some new material

and a tour with slash, duff, izzy, steven and matt joining as "guests". That for me could happen, I strongly don't think we'll se only an AFD line up.

Had all the potential to be 8 / 10. Maybe even 9 / 10.

Ended up being steaming dogturd / 10.

Things that went wrong include:

- WAY too overproduced

- Way too layered

- The whole album is trying too hard to be something epic

- Too synthetic, no organic feel whatsoever

- Too incoherent, probably because too many people worked on it, added to it, reworked it etc

- Too long

- The epic 2002 version of The Blues was replaced with a really meh version called Street Of Dreams

- They cut the Brian May parts out of Catcher and made it much worse

- All songs on the album were worse than their leaked demo versions

- Scraped ended up on the album

- Sorry is just bitter and lame

- TIL was a whinefest that redefines boring

- OMG did not end up on the album

- Not every song needs a weird Chris Pitman intro, that shit was way overdone

- So overproduced that it should be mentioned twice

One of the few things that is right about the album, is that Silkworms isn't on it.

Honestly, the whole thing is one long ordeal to sit through.

Great post.

The best scenario is definitely some new material and a tour with slash, duff, izzy, steven and matt joining as "guests".

Join who? :lol:

Seriously. Axl has no band left. No Ron. No #Ashba. Probably no Tommy. Who the fuck are they joining? Axl, Pitman, Dizzy and the Drummer du jour? That's pathetic.

And even IF Axl would still have a band, it would be blown away by the "guest spots" of the only legitimate Guns n' Roses who are also the only band people actually want to see.

The only things that can happen that I'd still care for are:

1. A reunion tour. AFD lineup. I'd even prefer ditching Dizzy Reed, but I suppose that's not really an option. Having Steven and Matt both is acceptable. Possibly make an album after that, but really if they don't it's ok too. I'm fine with closing the book on GnR with a reunion tour and everybody going their own way afterwards.

2. The release of the 1998-2008 Chinese Leftovers 7-cd 3-dvd box set. Close the whole CD period permanently with how CD and it's 2 followups SHOULD have turned out and don't include anything that has Ashba on it. The only acceptable packaging for this product would be:

chinese_take_out_carton.gif