The Rolling Stones

Snake-Pit

I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me. Years ago we had the church. That was only a way of saying - we had each other. The Knights of Columbus were real head-breakers; true guineas. They took over their piece of the city. Twenty years after an Irishman couldn't get a fucking job, we had the presidency. May he rest in peace. That's what the n!ggas don't realize. If I got one thing against the black chappies, it's this - no one gives it to you. You have to take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Jones all fucking day long, Stones to me are best looked at as being a singles band and the best songs pound for pound came under Jones. Also with Jones and his dallying with different forms of instrumentation you felt like they were on the verge of breaking some kinda mould with him, with Taylor they just seemed to be accepting like...the format, like OK, this is what we're good at, which is the first time to stagnation.

But its about the songs, Paint it Black, Satisfaction and all those wonderful wonderful gems in the early catalogue like Out of Time and Heart of Stone and all, those songs and that kinda Beggars Banquet and on backwards, The Stones never sounded better than that ever and they never made better songs than that ever.

I'll take 5 or 6 exceptional numbers padded out with 4 ramshackle yet enthusiast Motown/Blues covers from The Stones over those later albums, though brilliant in their own right and they have a degree of consistency overall that the others dont have in terms of the album and what it is to make a 'consistent' album.

Put them in columns next to each other, all the Jones era and all the Taylor era, Jones era does it every time for me.

• Like 1

Jones made the band what it is today. He just wanted to do blues covers and at first Keith and Mick weren't comfortable with writing songs. But when they did he made them something special. Taylor did help deliver three of their best albums, Let It Bleed (which had Brian on some tracks), Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street, but in the 60's when the singles mattered over the album, Jones shined. Also having Out of Our Heads, Aftermath and Beggar's Banquet helped too.

Granted Aftermath is one of my favourite Stones records.

I love Taylor's guitar playing however. It is in many ways un-Stonesy, being jazzy and melodic, i.e. different from the honky tonky notes of Richards and Wood. It elevated the Stones to another level. And his songwriting was incredible (Sway, Moonlight Mile, Ventilator Blues and Winter) although Jagger shafted him on most of the credits.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Brian Jones all fucking day long, Stones to me are best looked at as being a singles band and the best songs pound for pound came under Jones. Also with Jones and his dallying with different forms of instrumentation you felt like they were on the verge of breaking some kinda mould with him, with Taylor they just seemed to be accepting like...the format, like OK, this is what we're good at, which is the first time to stagnation.

But its about the songs, Paint it Black, Satisfaction and all those wonderful wonderful gems in the early catalogue like Out of Time and Heart of Stone and all, those songs and that kinda Beggars Banquet and on backwards, The Stones never sounded better than that ever and they never made better songs than that ever.

I'll take 5 or 6 exceptional numbers padded out with 4 ramshackle yet enthusiast Motown/Blues covers from The Stones over those later albums, though brilliant in their own right and they have a degree of consistency overall that the others dont have in terms of the album and what it is to make a 'consistent' album.

Put them in columns next to each other, all the Jones era and all the Taylor era, Jones era does it every time for me.

I love both eras, but very hard to argue with any of this, especially the singles band/pound for pound bit.