The Rolling Stones

Snake-Pit

Undercover was released 1983!

No I mean one day I will think Voodoo Lounge and Bridges are awesome. I remember going in my friend's dads Turbo GTI and he was playing Steel Wheels and Roy Orbison. I thought he was a sad old man but really he was class. But he lost his job at the lumber yard for tax ivasion and then his wife left him. But he still loves boxing and golf and the Stones. Rock n roll!

Fuck me, that was the year i was born, they were past it even then :lol:

But the Under cover of the Night video was great.

Mixed Emotions remix on Rarities is awesome. And the Extended 12 " version of Miss You. Oh shit. Crank it Lee!

There is actually an even longer version of that from the original 12" - they trimmed it by a minute for Rarities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw8xwvKfRFE

I do not suppose it has appeared on compact disc.

Isnt Dancer Part 2 on Rarities? Or is that part 1. That was my favorite song for a year or two. That shoulda bin a sungles.

Undercover was released 1983!

No I mean one day I will think Voodoo Lounge and Bridges are awesome. I remember going in my friend's dads Turbo GTI and he was playing Steel Wheels and Roy Orbison. I thought he was a sad old man but really he was class. But he lost his job at the lumber yard for tax ivasion and then his wife left him. But he still loves boxing and golf and the Stones. Rock n roll!

Fuck me, that was the year i was born, they were past it even then :lol:

But the Under cover of the Night video was great.

Mixed Emotions remix on Rarities is awesome. And the Extended 12 " version of Miss You. Oh shit. Crank it Lee!

There is actually an even longer version of that from the original 12" - they trimmed it by a minute for Rarities.

I do not suppose it has appeared on compact disc.

Isnt Dancer Part 2 on Rarities? Or is that part 1. That was my favorite song for a year or two. That shoulda bin a sungles.

Yes, although it originally appeared on a prior compilation, Sucking in the Seventies.

I always wondered how you played a sitar...i dont think theres chords to it, i think the bottom string is constant in it.

Very very hard apparently. Harrison always admitted he was a novice.

Where i come from, racially speaking, the indigenous music is 'sher' which basically means verse of poetry...its played with a Sitar and and upturned clay pot type thing that you bang with your hand with this glove with bells on it and the musical structure is EXACTLY the same in every one and what changes is basically the poetry and some limited sitar soloing. Its a really weird thing cuz its like THE popular indigenous music of the area...and its quite high fallutin really, by western standards...and loads and loads of people write this poetry, like your average high school kids and all sorts. Its basically recorded onto cassette and they print these covers and sell em by the hundreds of thousands. 99.9% of all media there is basically black market, piracy.

Weird though, different, fascinating. Makes you wonder what other kind of music is out there. I think they play a very rudimentary sitar. I think for Indians and that its meant to be a holy sort of things, like your Ravi Shankars and that, i suppose cuz the music is like worship music hence the instrument is not to be disrespected. Apparently Georgie Parisole caught a back-hander off of Ravi for stepping over it while it was on the floor or something.

English music is part of the western (classical) tradition.

PS

Further on this, English music reached a situation of some renown in the 16th and 17th centuries. The genius from this era is Henry Purcell, Dido and Aeneas. Before him though, England was famous for its famous troubadours, folk music and courtly airs. Even Henry VIII was a composer - Greensleeves (alleged). It was a country which was very musical and producing great music - and this was commented on in the continent, by outsiders. Unfortunately something happened to English music between the death of Purcell in 1695 and the arrival of Elgar in the 1890s. Basically England did not produce a great composer at a time when the Germanic world produced Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and Schubert; the Italians, Vivaldi, Rossini, Donizetti; the French, Berlioz, Bizet. Various reasons have been cited and those reasons have to start with Handel. Handel arrived in England in 1712 and completely changed the fabric of English music and culture. He introduced Italian opera, choral music, oratorios. Basically the English went choral mad and indigenous music stagnated as composers sought to imitate Handelian models. It was not all one-way-street. Handel did absorb English influences (you can hear Purcell in his music). It is ironic as when anyone hears Watermusic or Music from the Royal Fireworks it sounds 'English'. This is the Englishness as associated with royalty. It is 'English' really (of course, the Germans moan about this still today). We adopted the big burly Saxon. Handel became a honourary Englishman - he is buried in Westminster Abbey.

This pattern was repeated (to a lesser extent) with Haydn and Mendelssohn. Mendelssohn would play piano with Victoria and Albert at Balmoral, a vignette of bourgeois Victorian respectability. Earlier, Haydn had been feted in the London of Pope, Swift and Defoe. They all wrote music in England, and based on 'English' themes (or 'Scottish') such as Haydn's London symphonies, Hebrides Overture.

England produced some good competent composers during this period but they all felt the urge to imitate Handelian choral suites and so forth. We were too in awe of the German composers. There has been some new revisionism on this however and some of these English composers are starting to be rehabilitated.

This all changed with Elgar. Elgar was a composer who absorbed contemporary Germanic influences of Wagner and Strauss yet produced something distinctly 'English'. He fell out of fashion because of English leftyism in the mid 20th century, dismissed as the composer of ''Land of Hope and Glory'', of imperial 'pomp and circumstances' and handlebar moustaches, i.e. basically music's equivalent of Kipling, yet he was widely respected outside Britain during his era by people like Richard Strauss. His Cello Concerto is the equal of Schumann's and Brahms'. It is sublime.His two symphonies are also terrific.

Elgar by the way is the chap on my left!

And then, that opened the flood gates: Ralph Vaughn-Williams, Britten, Delius.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Opinions on Satanic Majesties? I have not listened to this album for years. I'm undecided whether it is absolute shite, the masturbation of people Acid tripping, or genius. People say it is a 'Pepper rip' but it is actually much more experimental, darker and Psychedelic than. Pepper is more English musical hall, grandstand, whimsical. TSMR has these freak out psychedelic noises. There is nothing like that on Pepper except perhaps ''A Day in the Life''. A better analogy would be between a 'song' like Gomper and Revolution 9 or Hendrix's doodlings on Electric Ladyland (e.g. 1983).

PS

Citadel was covered by a lot of punk and grunge bands. It is probably the second best song on the album (after 2000 Light Years). Ace for Kiss did of course a punky cover of 2000 Man. The album had legs.

the_rolling_stones_Their_Satanic_Majesti

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I always wondered how you played a sitar...i dont think theres chords to it, i think the bottom string is constant in it.

I've done that... Played a big one.

I know a sitar teacher...

It's got raised frets and to fret, you play by fretting your finger not on but next to the raised fret, to the left of the fret (or to the right) (I forget now) (but that does matter)... It's a bitch to hold right if you're a fat kid like I was when I got to play on one.

Like sit down, yoga stuff and it resting on your foot.. - I've been playing guitar for a long time, and as such, have gotten to jam with a bunch of different people over the years.

Gives me an idea for an album. :)

- The sitar, Len, seems to have 2 sets of strings? a top set, that you play, and a harmonising bottom set, that you don't fret but that gets played when you strum.

Also, a sitar pick is very different than a guitar pick, it's cool, and you wear them like guitar pick designed to mimic a long fingernail, but a sitar pick is metal and pointy;

doublemizrabs.jpg

:drool:

She's beautiful.

Edited by Snake-Pit

It sounded like Dave Mason did more than dabble with the sitar.

"I wrote a lot of the melody and all the words, and Keith and I sat around and made this wonderful track, with Dave Mason playing the shehani on it live."

Mick Jagger

Edited by dalsh327