The Rolling Stones

Snake-Pit

When you get too into the era, you forget about how good the music is and you just realize that a lot of these people were scumbags. But it doesn't stop me from appreciating the music.

1967 was when psychedelic rock peaked but the Rolling Stones was the one band that tried to get into it with Their Satanic Majesty's Request and it just fell flat. They just weren't that Their followup Beggars Banquet was a return to form and probably their best album with Brian. They touched on psychedelia with Paint It Black but trying to recreate it with more songs just didn't do it for anyone.

Acid was a whole other thing because that was "we're going to sit in an apartment for the next 12 hours" or someone would spike someone's drink at a party because they thought it would be funny, but it was a dick move. That was more about self-discovery though. Heroin was more about pain management. Cocaine and speed were more about keeping yourself going, maybe losing weight in the process and for a rock star, being chubby is a liability. In the studio, the cocaine could help get them through marathon sessions so it was written into the budget.

Some of the people that created psychedelic music might have had acid once or twice. They were just doing what people wanted to hear at the time, that's probably why Vanilla Fudge did mostly cover songs.

So many of those rock stars did look malnourished. All those nights of touring, groupies, partying. Just a diet of cocaine and whiskey.

The Stones are physically unable to put on weight. They also look knackered - the Stones have looked craggy faced since 1963. This is why Wood was recruited: he looks like a Stone.

• Like 1

even Iggy Pops getting one, i find that shocking. I dont even think they're really paunches in the proper, i think they just have more than like 3% bodyfat for the first time ever. Iggy looks like one of the dinner ladies from my old school, bless him :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

http://youtu.be/UVVpAAQ1eWc

I prefer this version.

That is Eric Clapton on the slide guitar.

Really? Never knew that all these years, are you sure? No wonder it sounds so good. I like this song chiefly because it is the stark realisation of everything about The Stones that caused so much outrage in the 60s, sleazy, perverted, queer, obscene and gleefully offensive, all smothered in an amazing blues...and the murky Midnight Rambler feel to it just makes it irresistable, it was almost like The Stones going 'alright, here ya are, have it', everything negative thing suspected of them in the worst nightmares of 'would you let your daughter marry a rolling stone' type suburban mums laid bare, it is The Stones giving us explicitly the sort of sleaze they, until then, only relatively hinted at. And theres a great sense of humour to it too. And its a blues as aforementioned but totally very English too, probably the best British blues I've ever heard in terms of it being a fully realised version of British blues. I think its one of the most underrated rock n roll songs of all time.

I mean the nerve to make a song like that in the early 70s, it's brilliant. If anything really bothers me about The Stones is that they went for like...mass acceptance in a sense when that was an arena with it's own pre-existing stalwarts but like...prior to The Sex Pistols etc no one was better positioned to be the chief band of wrong uns better than The Stones...but they didn't seem to really want it, at least in terms of what they were doing with their music.

Lyrically they always seemed to be, after the Goats Head onwards, sort of a self aware parody, with almost deliberately hokey double entendre lyrics...but now they seem a parody of a parody...and where double entendre was sort of required in those days because you couldn't get away with more overtly offensive stuff, now that its kinda like the era of anything goes their kinda...lyrical playing around with archetypical imagery of Americana tempered with glaring obvious double meaning in lyrics just seems really really like...i dunno, obvious. Dull almost. Speaking now on newer stuff like Bigger Bang and even Keiths new album, lovely though it is to hear from him.

But yeah, easily a top ten Stones song for me.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

The Stones were a dangerous set, all filthy heroin needles and skanky disease ridden groupies, until about '73 when Mick befriended Michael Parkinson and started sipping champagne at Lords. At is at a similar point when they recruited Wood, hit the stadia and started sounding like Status Quo.

Undercover and Dirty Work are rank: avoid like the plague. I like Voodoo Lounge and Babylon. Steel Wheels is decent also, although still a bit brassy and 1980s. I could not personally get into A Bigger Bang but quite a few people did so do not trust my word - it is alright I suppose.

Is it worth getting anything after Tattoo You? I focused getting as many of the U.K releases as I could. Just missing the very first album.

Opinions on Some Girls and Tattoo You? Some great singles. Keith celebrates Ronnie as the return to "weaving"

Some Girls and Tattoo You are the only really good albums they made post Goats Head, and in the case of Tattoo You thats all it is, good, not brilliant but good.

Some Girls is reasonably exceptional, Miss You is as good as any Stones song, title track is cool too, really decent album, definitely worth picking up.

Some Girls and Tattoo You are the only really good albums they made post Goats Head, and in the case of Tattoo You thats all it is, good, not brilliant but good.

Some Girls is reasonably exceptional, Miss You is as good as any Stones song, title track is cool too, really decent album, definitely worth picking up.

Really?

I think I'd put Black And Blue in the mix there, I prefer it to those two you mentioned.

Not so much that i dont like it, its a fair album, its just id put the aforementioned before it, its one of the more redeemable out of their more dud years.

But all that aside, even the ones that are considered naff suffer really from being Stones albums, were it any other band they'd probably get kudos for that level of music.

I think I prefer It's Only Rock n' Roll to Some Girls, but then it has Mick Taylor's solo on 'Time Waits For No One' - granted there is some naff stuff on there such as 'Luxury' (faux reggae). I've always disliked the title track but probably because it is so over-played. It is The Stones doing a Status Quo impression.