Pearl Jam

AxlsMainMan

Probably my favorite band after Guns' and without question one of the best live acts going today. Anyone else a fan?

Sadly I've only seen them twice as tickets can be mindblowingly hard to get, but I did back-to-back nights for the Ten 20th Anniversary Tour in Toronto and both shows were simply incredible, plus I ran into Edge from the WWE on the second night in the beer line. Their first 4 albums are probably their best and my favorites but I've honestly never met a Pearl Jam song or album I didn't like.

I love mid-era Pearl Jam- from Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, Binaural, up to Riot Act. I thought they started getting complacent beginning with the Blue Album and Lightning Bolt is where they lost me completely. Its basically a Vedder solo record with a few singles on front end. Great live shows though. I think they've lost their edge creatively though.

• Like 2

Only saw them once, but they're fuckin' great. They sort of do the Stones/ACDC thing now, make a record with 2-3 songs you can justify playing in concert, make that the excuse to tour, and do it. Fine by me, though, they're a hell of a live act.

Saw Ed do a guest spot with the Who in Chicago back in May. That was something special.

I love mid-era Pearl Jam- from Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, Binaural, up to Riot Act. I thought they started getting complacent beginning with the Blue Album and Lightning Bolt is where they lost me completely. Its basically a Vedder solo record with a few singles on front end. Great live shows though. I think they've lost their edge creatively though.

I had similar feelings about Lightning Bolt but it's actually starting to grow on me the last few weeks. Yellow Moon definitely sounds like it was lifted from the Into the Wild soundtrack, though.

Only saw them once, but they're fuckin' great. They sort of do the Stones/ACDC thing now, make a record with 2-3 songs you can justify playing in concert, make that the excuse to tour, and do it. Fine by me, though, they're a hell of a live act.

Saw Ed do a guest spot with the Who in Chicago back in May. That was something special.

I bet that was sweet. Neil Young coming out for Keep on Rockin' in the Free World the first night I saw PJ was epic.

I've seen PJ over 20 times from TEN til now. They are one of the few bands going who are just as good in concert now as they were 25 years ago,IMO. I love how every show is much different from the next. The reason they sell out so many shows is fans know they will get a mix of hits and b-sides. Imagine if Guns ever took this approach. They are in my top 5 for sure and I was hoping to see them this weekend in NYC but I didn't win tickets . Also,there's gotta be a long PJ thread on here so I expect Russ to appear any minute now for the MERGE!

• Like 1

Totally agree, except I think the self-titled is still a decent album at its best. Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are basically phoned in classic rock records that somehow took almost 4 years each to make, and they really killed a lot of my love for the band.

As to what OP asked, I saw them live at the 2nd to last Spectrum show in October '09 (setlist) and it was a GREAT show, even from the nosebleeds. I remember they brought out a local string quartet for a few songs and they even played Hold On for the first time ever, so it was definitely the highlight of my time as a superfan of the band.

What was the best show of the 20 you saw? :lol:

Pretty hard to pick. If I had to, I might go with this one: Check out the setlist from May 2nd,2003 in Buffalo,NY. It's definitely worth the purchase if they still sell the live CD's on their website. Also, they played Faithfull due to my sign:)

1. Encore:
  2. (improvisation)
  3. (The Police cover)
  4. Encore 2:
  5. (Dead Boys cover)
  6. (Patti Smith cover)
  7. Encore 3:
  8. (The Who cover)

I think they're getting better as they get older.

Ten is alright.

Vs is great

Vitology was alright

No Code and Yield were great

kinda lost me a little bit with Bianural and Riot Act even though they ahve some good songs on those albums,

the blue album was alright

Backspacer and Lightning Bolt were both great.

The idea that their last few albums have been filler save for a few singles is nosense in my opinion.

Edited by Bono

I bet that was sweet. Neil Young coming out for Keep on Rockin' in the Free World the first night I saw PJ was epic.

Other-worldly. The Who do the same set every net, so seeing anything out of the ordinary is pretty great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xeRe8lrGAx4

Totally agree, except I think the self-titled is still a decent album at its best. Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are basically phoned in classic rock records that somehow took almost 4 years each to make, and they really killed a lot of my love for the band.

As to what OP asked, I saw them live at the 2nd to last Spectrum show in October '09 (setlist) and it was a GREAT show, even from the nosebleeds. I remember they brought out a local string quartet for a few songs and they even played Hold On for the first time ever, so it was definitely the highlight of my time as a superfan of the band.

I agree 100%. The last 2 1/2 studio records I think feel very mailed in. It just feels (and sounds) like its a band just doing their homework. Seems like they've lost their anger and mojo- content to play it safe. Maybe the fanbase is so loyal that they've let it make them lazy.

Other-worldly. The Who do the same set every net, so seeing anything out of the ordinary is pretty great.

Neil Young does a pretty similar setlist night in night out, but its always a different vibe. Pearl Jam does different sets every single time out, but its still the same vibe. Neil sounds more organic and fresh doing the same sets than PJ does doing different sets.

The idea that their last few albums have been filler save for a few singles is nosense in my opinion.

That is precisely what they have been. Lightning Bolt is essentially a few leftover takes from the Backspacer sessions combined with a few Vedder solo numbers. Its as safe and as standard fare as anything they've ever released. There's very little meat there. They've gotten as boring, bland, and predictable over the past several years as U2 have.

What was the best show of the 20 you saw? :lol:

Pretty hard to pick. If I had to, I might go with this one: Check out the setlist from May 2nd,2003 in Buffalo,NY. It's definitely worth the purchase if they still sell the live CD's on their website. Also, they played Faithfull due to my sign:)

1. Encore:
  2. (improvisation)
  3. (The Police cover)
  4. Encore 2:
  5. (Dead Boys cover)
  6. (Patti Smith cover)
  7. Encore 3:
  8. (The Who cover)

Wow! That is an incredible setlist. Check out the one from my very first show ;)

1. (Modern Girl Tag, Sleater - Kinney Cover)
  2. (It´s Ok tag, Dead Moon)
  3. Encore:
  4. (Save it For Later)
  5. Encore 2:
  6. (Mother Love Bone cover) (First time played start to finish)
  7. (Neil Young cover) (with Neil Young)

Great live shows. They lost me after Yield, which I think is their most overlooked album. Vs is my favorite.

They do have some great songs since Yield. Nothing as it Seems. Just Breathe. Sirens. Pendulum.

I honestly think No Code is their most overlooked album. Very raw production and I find incredibly eclectic compared to Yield.

As a whole, I probably like Vs. better than Ten.

I agree 100%. The last 2 1/2 studio records I think feel very mailed in. It just feels (and sounds) like its a band just doing their homework. Seems like they've lost their anger and mojo- content to play it safe. Maybe the fanbase is so loyal that they've let it make them lazy.

They used to push themselves from album to album, up to Riot Act each album has it's own feel and sound apart from the album before it. Even when they lost their anger they still made interesting music, like No Code or Binaural. You're right, it sort of does feel like it's homework for them, like they have to put out an album once in a while just to keep touring but otherwise they couldn't be bothered.

Great live shows. They lost me after Yield, which I think is their most overlooked album. Vs is my favorite.

They do have some great songs since Yield. Nothing as it Seems. Just Breathe. Sirens. Pendulum.

I honestly think No Code is their most overlooked album. Very raw production and I find incredibly eclectic compared to Yield.

As a whole, I probably like Vs. better than Ten.

Yeah I like No Code. Def overlooked. I just like some of the songs more from Yield. Wishlist and Do the Evolution are 2 all time favorites of mine.

Ten is great and has all the huge songs. But Vs is a little bit darker and kind of creepy. It's still got your big hits like Daughter, Rearviewmirror, Elderly Woman, but the others are so good.

I was pretty happy with this setlist from 2006

Pre opener

Soon Forget

SET 1

Oceans

Severed Hand

Corduroy

Brain Of J.

World Wide Suicide

Love Boat Captain

Gone

Even Flow

Unemployable

Wasted Reprise

Better Man

Save it for Later

Satan's Bed

Not For You

Modern Girl

You Are

Inside Job

Life Wasted

Rearviewmirror

ENCORE 1

Long Road

Come Back

Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

Crazy Mary

Crown Of Thorns

Alive

ENCORE 2

Last Kiss

Comatose

Leash

Big Wave

Rockin' In The Free World

Yellow Ledbetter

Different show, one I wish I had been at. Yikes...but what a show to be at. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, RHCP at the end of 1991, at a race track.

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 1

Ten is one of the best records of all time.

Musically and thematically Ten is a great album from front to back. Production wise its probably their worst.

Did the remastering make a significant difference? I never got around to checking it out.

Not really.