How much has CD sold as of 2015?

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:21 AM, SoulMonster said:

You are not helping, dude :lol:

I've heard of figures that push it up around the 10 million mark in global sales, but I think 7 million is a more prudent figure at this juncture.

On 25. 5. 2016 at 2:16 PM, Nosaj Thing said:

It sold 3 million.  3.5 million if you're generous with the numbers.  Any more than that is delusion fabricated by sad losers.

You only find godawful records for 99 cents at Dollar Tree, Chinese Democracy being one of them (and with the original "Best Buy Exclusive" sticker on it).  Before that, Best Buy had it on clearance for $1.99 and since nobody bought it, they sold it in bulk to 99 cents stores. :lol: 

I feel bad for Best Buy but it's their own fault for thinking that turd of a record could have been a success.

Chinese Democracy was a success. Not on the level of AFD and UYI but still. And no amount of bitter turds will change that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

I've heard of figures that push it up around the 10 million mark in global sales, but I think 7 million is a more prudent figure at this juncture.

No way in hell did it sell 7 million copies.

1 hour ago, Mr. Dude said:

I hear all kinds of stuff all the time. I try not to believe any of it unless it comes from a good source or makes sense.

Anyway, if it has sold 10 million globally, that would mean US/UK comprise 10 % of the market. That doesn't sound plausible to me. Where would these 90 % markets be?

21 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I hear all kinds of stuff all the time. I try not to believe any of it unless it comes from a good source or makes sense.

Anyway, if it has sold 10 million globally, that would mean US/UK comprise 10 % of the market. That doesn't sound plausible to me. Where would these 90 % markets be?

On the black market...........

its worth its wait in gold..........

that's what I hear anyway..........

9 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I don't know anyone that bought it....come to think of it I've never even seen it:shrugs:

let's keep it clean now...

22 hours ago, eggers said:

No way in hell did it sell 7 million copies.

all signs point to yes.....

yes it did.............................

22 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Chinese Democracy was a success. Not on the level of AFD and UYI but still. And no amount of bitter turds will change that.

you're not counting all the shoppers it brought in and all the much more expensive items sold in store to customers who wouldn't have come to Best Buy without it. Come to think of it, I haven't been to Best Buy since Chinese Democracy was released. While I'm coming and thinking, that's the last time bought a TV too. So if you really want to get an accurate measure you've got to be able to quantify all the other items Best Buy sold strictly off the back of Chinese Democracy. I spent $350 that day so that's the equivalent of at least 35 records right there. Even if the average customer brought in solely based on CD's release only spent a median of $50 that's still the equivalent of 3 records per person which would potentially triple the amount of albums it sold domestically within the continental US. Naturally that's not even counting Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico. So when you get down to brass tacks on the matter one could make the case that it (basically) sold around 10 million in the US alone. However, it could be considerably more difficult to calculate global sales via this same methodology.

It was a success in that the songs got finished being written and fucked with, and that it got released at all.

But as far as an album that everyone has and still likes and will still be talked about in the same breath as AFD or UYI? Not in the slightest. Never.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

On 29 May 2016 at 7:19 AM, krazejeff said:

Who buys albums these days. 

I know it sounds wrong but either YouTube or download sites. 

I think there was likely more downloaded than sold, definitely was too expensive record to create. 

CD broke some myspace record for plays. So there probably was some more sales to be made especially in the 90s. I just bought cds to check albums out. Any big hype release, anything. But now all my money goes into my phone and crackpipes. 

On September 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM, RussTCB said:

I know (think?) this isn't pointed at me, but this is a POV that I just don't get.

It's totally ok for you to have the opinion that CD doesn't contain any classic tracks, so why would it not be ok for someone to have the opposite opinion. Just a moment ago I also argued the point that it doesn't have "12 GN'R Classics" but wasted is still entitled to believe that if we wants to, right?

I remember watching many interviews that John Lennon did back in like the mid 70's where he was asked about the Beatles possibly getting back together. He mentioned that a few of them had gotten together and recorded songs since the break up and jammed etc. but he was quick to point out that 'it's not the Beatles without the four of us though.'

This is pretty much the accepted brain trust in music... especially rock music. When Tyler made an "Aerosmith" record by himself and new players, not many people considered it Aerosmith. Even Duff himself said he didn't go see those shows because it wasn't the band anyone. So, if we're going to accept this way of thinking (I do) then no, CD did not contain even one "GNR" classic. Could it contain classics though? Sure and it did in my opinion... but GNR classics? How could it? It was only 1 guy from the Appetite lineup. That's not GNR, that's Axl Rose. 

We don't consider Ozzy's work Black Sabbath do we?  Same deal here.

Edited by Nintari

On May 29, 2016 at 7:19 PM, krazejeff said:

Who buys albums these days. 

I know it sounds wrong but either YouTube or download sites. 

I think there was likely more downloaded than sold, definitely was too expensive record to create. 

People buy records still. Adele sold... I think last I saw, like 4 million in just a few months. No, they're not selling like they use to but they still sell. As a matter of fact, vinyl and CD sales of entire records far eclipse digital purchased records. 

On 5/29/2016 at 4:34 PM, moreblack said:

It was a success in that the songs got finished being written and fucked with, and that it got released at all.

But as far as an album that everyone has and still likes and will still be talked about in the same breath as AFD or UYI? Not in the slightest. Never.

Agreed, but you have to admit that most of those songs had great potential -- with Duff, Slash, and Izzy they could have been classics. 

That and he messed up songs that were already great to begin with like Catcher in the Rye. He ruined a lot of these songs with overproduction -- the original '99, '00 demos are so much better than what ended up on the album. The guy is his own worst enemy. 

Illusion had the same problem like the tripe vocal overdubs on songs like Knockin' on Heaven's Door which were completely unnecessary and instantly cheesed up the song. Waste of some great Slash solos.

On 28/05/2016 at 11:28 AM, Mr. Dude said:

you're not counting all the shoppers it brought in and all the much more expensive items sold in store to customers who wouldn't have come to Best Buy without it. Come to think of it, I haven't been to Best Buy since Chinese Democracy was released. While I'm coming and thinking, that's the last time bought a TV too. So if you really want to get an accurate measure you've got to be able to quantify all the other items Best Buy sold strictly off the back of Chinese Democracy. I spent $350 that day so that's the equivalent of at least 35 records right there. Even if the average customer brought in solely based on CD's release only spent a median of $50 that's still the equivalent of 3 records per person which would potentially triple the amount of albums it sold domestically within the continental US. Naturally that's not even counting Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico. So when you get down to brass tacks on the matter one could make the case that it (basically) sold around 10 million in the US alone. However, it could be considerably more difficult to calculate global sales via this same methodology.

You're not one of those weird Axl/nugnr fans who bought multiple copies of Chinese and proceeded to give them out to unsuspecting family and friends, are you? I made a post about this strange phenomenon about a year ago.

1 hour ago, Nintari said:

People buy records still. Adele sold... I think last I saw, like 4 million in just a few months. No, they're not selling like they use to but they still sell. As a matter of fact, vinyl and CD sales of entire records far eclipse digital purchased records. 

On 24.5.2016 at 5:51 PM, SoulMonster said:

While reading IFPI's "Global Music Report" for 2015 I came across some interesting, although irrelevant, stats. Guess how many records Adele sold in 2015 (digital and physical)? 17.4 million. Bloody hell. That's a lot of record regardless of which year we talk about. The seconds on the list are Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, both with 3.5 million. The report lists another 7 artists all with sales over 1 million units in 2015. Streaming is excluded. So it is still possible to sell records, even in today's landscape of music streaming.

It is being argued that record sales are dropping. Well, physical record sales have been dropping but digital record sales have picked up, and since 2010 the combined sales between the two have been pretty stable. At the same time performance right and synchronization rights have increased meaning that the record industry is not in free fall at all. At least not any longer. They seem to have adjusted to the new reality.

After the 1st largest army there's a real big drop off. 

In 2000 average sales for any rock release was 3-4 mil. This is for very generic rock albums with no hits that we remember. Around that time the label wanted GNR to sell 20 mil. Right now ACDC sell 300k. 

Adele is really an abberation. Maybe the cream will always rise to the top. But it's like one survivor in the cancer ward. 

It's partly rock's fault(for being rock), it's too into nostalgia and the fan base is old and needs another rock cd like it needs gall stones. Why buy new Alice in chains when you can just throw on the first record and buy a sandwich. 

Edited by wasted
Chains

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You're not one of those weird Axl/nugnr fans who bought multiple copies of Chinese and proceeded to give them out to unsuspecting family and friends, are you? I made a post about this strange phenomenon about a year ago.

I've probably handed out and gifted at least a dozen or so over the years. I think I've still got 4-5 unopened copies along with the 4-5 I  have spread about. I also have 2 copies on vinyl-1 opened, 1 sealed. I was thinking of buying a case (30 I believe) to just throw around for the summer parties, but as soon as the reunion was announced it went from 39.95 to 99.99 on Ebay. The frugal side of me wanted to see Axl come out and fall on his face, but the motherfucker is rocking the world........again.

Edited by Mr. Dude
Deeper insight

1 hour ago, wasted said:

After the 1st largest army there's a real big drop off. 

In 2000 average sales for any rock release was 3-4 mil. This is for very generic rock albums with no hits that we remember. Around that time the label wanted GNR to sell 20 mil. Right now ACDC sell 300k. 

Adele is really an abberation. Maybe the cream will always rise to the top. But it's like one survivor in the cancer ward. 

It's partly rock's fault(for being rock), it's too into nostalgia and the fan base is old and needs another rock cd like it needs gall stones. Why buy new Alice in chains when you can just throw on the first record and buy a sandwich. 

Dig the Hicks reference. Very astute employment.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

I've probably handed out and gifted at least a dozen or so over the years. I think I've still got 4-5 unopened copies along with the 4-5 I  have spread about. I also have 2 copies on vinyl-1 opened, 1 sealed. I was thinking of buying a case (30 I believe) to just throw around for the summer parties, but as soon as the reunion was announced it went from 39.95 to 99.99 on Ebay. The frugal side of me wanted to see Axl come out and fall on his face, but the motherfucker is rocking the world........again.

I have visions of Axl nutters scattering copies of Chinese Democracy like Jesus scattering the seeds.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:35 AM, wasted said:

The highest I've seen is when Universal said it sold 5 mil. But they count the 1.3 mil Best Buy bought. 

and Universal has every incentive to drastically undercount the amount of units moved so I'd say 5 mil is a very conservative. It's picking up steam in the circles I move in. That could be entirely due to me circulating it as if it were currency though. Hard to say at the moment.

Edited by Mr. Dude
Clarity