How much has CD sold as of 2015?

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have visions of Axl nutters scattering copies of Chinese Democracy like Jesus scattering the seeds.

What a coincidence. Now that I think of it, I have about the same amount of Bibles in hardback, paper back, pocket-sized, and a couple of special remastered reissues.

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

I put CD in the Motely Crue section of every HMV I can find. 

That's some clever product placement there. Are you in advertising and marketing?

I think if you like bands like NIN, Rage against the Machine, Korn, Faith No More, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, classic rock in general and GNR specifically, why wouldn't you like CD as music? 

I understand people being biased because Slash isn't there etc. 

now that Slash has endorsed CD by playing Chi dem, THis I Love and Better live there's less barriers. 

Okay if you hate Korn and NIN you might not make it to SOD,  Twat and Catcher. But if you do you might actually like the first 7 tracks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

What a coincidence. Now that I think of it, I have about the same amount of Bibles in hardback, paper back, pocket-sized, and a couple of special remastered reissues.

That's some clever product placement there. Are you in advertising and marketing?

Kind of but HMV is the only real record store in Asia. Other than that I have two chinese bootleg copies of CD. One completely fake full of leaks and live versions. The other is a legit fake of CD. 

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think if you like bands like NIN, Rage against the Machine, Korn, Faith No More, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains

I dislike all those bands except Pearl Jam, who are alrightish. Korn are an abomination.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I dislike all those bands except Pearl Jam, who are alrightish. Korn are an abomination.

Mirrorball is a solid record. I would've loved to have heard Briggs produce it.

Edited by Mr. Dude
Deeper Insights
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nintari said:

I remember watching many interviews that John Lennon did back in like the mid 70's where he was asked about the Beatles possibly getting back together. He mentioned that a few of them had gotten together and recorded songs since the break up and jammed etc. but he was quick to point out that 'it's not the Beatles without the four of us though.'

This is pretty much the accepted brain trust in music... especially rock music. When Tyler made an "Aerosmith" record by himself and new players, not many people considered it Aerosmith. Even Duff himself said he didn't go see those shows because it wasn't the band anyone. So, if we're going to accept this way of thinking (I do) then no, CD did not contain even one "GNR" classic. Could it contain classics though? Sure and it did in my opinion... but GNR classics? How could it? It was only 1 guy from the Appetite lineup. That's not GNR, that's Axl Rose. 

We don't consider Ozzy's work Black Sabbath do we?  Same deal here.

But again, I'm not interested in what the general opinion is. I care about what it feels like to me and what my opinion is of it. I've said this many times in the past, but I went to a show in 2002 specifically to say "Ok, I'll see this shit show, but it's NOT Guns N' Roses". Within a few songs, the overall feeling of the show was the same feeling I got when I saw other lineups in 91, 92 & 93. I ended up thinking "Holy shit, he did it. He remade GN'R with all new people"

59 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

CD is produced partly by NiN/Manson producer Beavan and partly by Costanzo who mixed/produced Rage against. It's mixed by Andy "Nevermind" Wallace. 

There are other elements but if you hate the sound of those bands you won't like CD. Even if you like some solos or riffs the whole nu metal production and motifs will grate and it's meant to be GNR, almost the antithesis of this. You might not like it for other reasons like just think Axl shouldn't be doing Korn songs even though you like Korn, Axl is raping Korn. I think Axl pulled off blending all the styles. Whereas Motely failed with Generation Swine because they have no idea about alternative rock. 

Better sounds like NIN production wise, guitar tone, breakdown, Head like a hole chorus with Hand that feeds drums. It's NIN covering SCOM. 

Shackler's is part Got the Life by Korn meets 4 Lane Black Top by Rob Zombie. The tone of the guitar is very Korn. And you can hear Muse-like soloing? 

Chi dem sounds like Teen Spirit meets Fight Song played by RATM.

Scraped is very Evil Empire produced by The Prodigy. Smack my Bitch up meets Out ta Get Me. 

But mostly I mean the tone or sound of CD is very NIN/Korn/Manson. There's also lots of tics and motifs that you can extract. Like the "woo" on Chi dem is from Fight Song by Manson. 

Shackler's has that glossy crunchiness of Korn which is kind of dark and freaky. You Could Be Mine meets Korn if you will. It's a similar kind of intro riff and structure but Korn'd up. Total Korn 80s horror movie chorus. 

Each song is a different universe. Listen to Evidence by Faith No More and All My Love by Zepp. Then listen to If the World. 

The riff and production on Twat is very Pearl Jam self titled but then also has element of Everything's ruined by Faith No More and obviously it's whole theme is so You Can't Always Gimme Shelter. Choir - intro/outro, foot loose man etc. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, whatashame said:

if it is known how much copies has CDem sold as of 2015, please update the first post and move on - so that other interested parties do not have to scroll thru 10 pages of jibba jabba

I think the general consensus is anywhere from 5 to 10 million worldwide. I expect that the figures could soon approach 15 mil with the recent pub.

• 2 months later...
On woensdag 1 juni 2016 at 1:32 PM, wasted said:

Kind of but HMV is the only real record store in Asia. Other than that I have two chinese bootleg copies of CD. One completely fake full of leaks and live versions. The other is a legit fake of CD.

That's kinda funny, chindem IS a legit fake GNR album :lol:

Edited by Nikki_Sixx
  • Like 3

On 27/09/2016 at 11:30 AM, DR DOOM said:

Eleventy bajillion.

Must have shifted a few new units since the reunion n rejuvated interest in guns brand n the progression of styles explored maybe fans n admirers of CD sound might demand the next release with say a Slash/Bucket dueling guitars ala Izzy/Slash/Duff on YCBM type solo on say The General? One can dream...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

Must have shifted a few new units since the reunion n rejuvated interest in guns brand n the progression of styles explored maybe fans n admirers of CD sound might demand the next release with say a Slash/Bucket dueling guitars ala Izzy/Slash/Duff on YCBM type solo on say The General? One can dream...

Yea, Nah. CD is still shit, the reunion hasn't changed that. Renewed interest is entirely focused on axl slash & duff playing the old songs again. People are interested in Guns n Roses, not Axls blight of an album. 

3 hours ago, Modano09 said:

The USB port in my car CD player isn't working so I've had to use actual CDs for the last week. I bought Chinese Democracy yesterday, so put another one up on the big board!

Where do you even buy it? Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, none of them have it. A CD shop? Is it used? 

It just makes me wonder, people who think the album has seen an increase in sales over they years (and after the reunion)-ok, where did people buy the album? Is it still being pressed? Are there no more new copies and just old stock (finally) being sold? 

Edited by twenty-nine