Prometheus 2 is now officially titled Alien: Covenant

The Glow Inc.

http://www.scified.com/site/prometheusmovies/prometheus-2-officially-titled-alien-paradise-lost

'Huge news this afternoon has surfaced as director Ridley Scott has confirmed the official title for Prometheus 2, the sequel to his 2012 sci-fi epic which begins filming this February! According to Scott himself, the official title for Prometheus 2 will be 'Alien: Paradise Lost'."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Didn't Ridley Scott used to stress all the time that Prometheus was not an Alien prequel, but just took place in the same universe? Looks like he's backtracking on that since that film was shit and therefore the name has a negative stigma attached to it now.

But to use the Alien name as an excuse to get away from that is just plain wrong, especially since there's already a different Alien film on the way with Weaver reprising and Neil Blomkamp directing.

I was always under the impression Prometheus was a prequel, but very loose, and the following films would tie in closer with each one.

Wish it was called Prometheus: Paradise Lost instead, but excited nonetheless.

Once he said it would be multiple films, he said the first film would be part of the Alien universe and that you would recognize some imagery/references, but it had its own ideologies. He said the second film would further explore the Prometheus side of things with little to do with Alien, and then the third film would tie both franchise together. Seems to me like he's ditched that idea and is going for a two-film route now.

I was always under the impression Prometheus was a prequel, but very loose, and the following films would tie in closer with each one.

Once he said it would be multiple films, he said the first film would be part of the Alien universe and that you would recognize some imagery/references, but it had its own ideologies. He said the second film would further explore the Prometheus side of things with little to do with Alien, and then the third film would tie both franchise together. Seems to me like he's ditched that idea and is going for a two-film route now.

So I was right in what my impression was? Technically? Lol

Honestly, might be for the best just in case (God forbid) he passed away before he finished his three film trilogy idea, which I did worry about.

Either way, very excited for this movie.

So I was right in what my impression was? Technically? Lol

Honestly, might be for the best just in case (God forbid) he passed away before he finished his three film trilogy idea, which I did worry about.

Either way, very excited for this movie.

Yeah, I was just elaborating.

Not to be morbid or anything, because I do really love Ridley Scott, but at least if he passed away we wouldn't get Blade Runner 2. He's still very healthy though, isn't he?

I would say Prometheus is like a cousin to the first Alien film.

We all wanted a sister film to the first Alien, especially, when the project was first conceived and the notion that Ridley was directing, was so fucking crazy.

But it may be too late to try and retrofit this film into Alien. It wasn't a bad film. It had redeeming qualities (David is more fascinating than any and all characters in the Alien universe). Yet, I can't help but feel that they tried to be bold and deliberately avoid making the film feel anything like Alien.

Whatever Ridley Scott decides to title this film, he better just get on with the Xenomorphs, because this franchise really doesn't have much gas, either way.

I thought Prometheus, aside from a clunky rushed middle part, was a great movie and easily one of the best I saw in 2012. Also, one of those rare occasions where 3D is used properly and the movie looked stunning. There is much subtext to the story that I feel didn't go over to well on screen but the performances by Rapace, Theron and Fassbender are top notch and I'd rank the movie on the same level as the original Alien, with at least one gruesome sequence in both movies that steals the show.

I love how the movie ended and personally can't wait to see where they'll take it next. In a time where Hollywood isn't interested in prequels/story continuation and just reboots and remakes the shit out of classic movies, I appreciated Scott doing this movie and revisiting the Alien universe. I'm less excited about the Neil Blomkamp Aliens sequel that is also in the works, I thought his latest two movies (Elysium & Chappie) were total shit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, first one sucked. My understanding, this one will have no Xenomorphs either.

What are you basing that on?

To be honest the stories have changed alot from Ridley Scott. I read on comingsoon.net he wasn't interested in using Xenomorphs but possibly some kind of new creatures.

Now it looks like he will be using them and also have some sort of connections to Ripley. I Haven't exactly been keeping up on it since I thought the first movie was horrible.

But I would like to See an Alien 5 movie with Sigourney Weaver... minus Ridley Scott of course.

Edited by 31illusions

• 1 month later...