The Dragon Age Thread

OmarBradley

So I think I've read quite a few of you have played the series or some of the games, I'm going through them now and thought a general DA discussion thread might be of interest.

I did DA:II because I was bored after W3, and then I decided to replay DA:O. I'm towards the very end right now, about to fight Loghain at the Landsmeet. My main party usually consists of Alistair, Moriggan, and Zevran. Got all of Wade's armor, Starfang, most cool gear/DLC gear, etc.. About level 20.

Going to try to go for the Loghain-Grey Warden-sacrifices himself-Alistair leaves but still marries Anora ending. :lol: A lot of the story decisions I'm making are based on the (likely false, I have no idea) hope that DA:I lets you load a DA:O save, and that it affects the story. The ending of DA:II made it seem like there was an overall story, with Leliana and Cassandra looking for the Warden and the Hero of Kirkwall.

I'm going to finish up DA:O, then do Awakenings which I've never done before, and then DA:I. Inquisition looks amazing from all of the trailers I've seen, and the story seems intriguing. Can't believe I sort of ignored it when it came out last year.

So I think I've read quite a few of you have played the series or some of the games, I'm going through them now and thought a general DA discussion thread might be of interest.

I did DA:II because I was bored after W3, and then I decided to replay DA:O. I'm towards the very end right now, about to fight Loghain at the Landsmeet. My main party usually consists of Alistair, Moriggan, and Zevran. Got all of Wade's armor, Starfang, most cool gear/DLC gear, etc.. About level 20.

Going to try to go for the Loghain-Grey Warden-sacrifices himself-Alistair leaves but still marries Anora ending. :lol: A lot of the story decisions I'm making are based on the (likely false, I have no idea) hope that DA:I lets you load a DA:O save, and that it affects the story. The ending of DA:II made it seem like there was an overall story, with Leliana and Cassandra looking for the Warden and the Hero of Kirkwall.

I'm going to finish up DA:O, then do Awakenings which I've never done before, and then DA:I. Inquisition looks amazing from all of the trailers I've seen, and the story seems intriguing. Can't believe I sort of ignored it when it came out last year.

You can upload your saves and it will change your world state. Loghain never made it to my inquisition game :lol:

• Like 1

You can upload your saves and it will change your world state. Loghain never made it to my inquisition game :lol:

Yeah I want him to sacrifice himself so that the Warden lives. If that wasn't the only way to get the main character to live (aside from using yours and Morrigan's premature child), I'd kill him instantly.

I wonder how DA:I will react to both of DA:O and DA:II saves, because my DA:II save didn't have any DA:O data loaded since I did DA:II first. And my old DA:O files are from like 3 computers ago, lol. I'll probably start Inquisition beginning of next week, and make this coming week all about Awakening.

EDIT: Ah I see, I meant Loghan sacrifices himself, not the Warden in the ending I'm going for, I see how that could be confusing from my wording.

Edited by OmarBradley

You can do a custom world state at the dragon keep site, it will ask you key questions from origins and 2. You then link that to your origin account. Its far more in depth compared to witcher 3.

For origins I went with the morrigan and baby ending

Ah good to know, so I can basically set up whatever world I want if I don't load any saves - that beats stressing over selecting the right dialogue options to get the very specific "best case scenario" ending for Origins. :lol:

Will the Dragon Keep Site be accessed fairly early on, and in that case I should not upload any saves right?

• Like 1

Ah good to know, so I can basically set up whatever world I want if I don't load any saves - that beats stressing over selecting the right dialogue options to get the very specific "best case scenario" ending for Origins. :lol:

Will the Dragon Keep Site be accessed fairly early on, and in that case I should not upload any saves right?

You go to the site

https://dragonagekeep.com/en_US/

Answer your questions and name the save whatever you want. When you start inquisition it will ask you if you want to load a custom world state hit yes and then it will ask for your origin account type in your info and click the file name you saved on dragon keep and it will load the world state. So just do it before you start a game its really well done. It even asks dlc questions.

• Like 1

You go to the site

Answer your questions and name the save whatever you want. When you start inquisition it will ask you if you want to load a custom world state hit yes and then it will ask for your origin account type in your info and click the file name you saved on dragon keep and it will load the world state. So just do it before you start a game its really well done. It even asks dlc questions.

Wow.... that's amazing. I'm really looking forward to DA:I after what I saw on the trailers. W3 was all dark and grit, Inquisition looks colorful and vivacious.

• Like 1

You go to the site

Wow.... that's amazing. I'm really looking forward to DA:I after what I saw on the trailers. W3 was all dark and grit, Inquisition looks colorful and vivacious.

yeah its awesome how they did it. inquisition is a good game the party interaction is a lot of fun, especially if you mix it up quite a bit and have a couple of combinations.

At the very end of DA:O in Denerim now.... looking back, this was a great fucking game. Way better than II, though I did enjoy II.

Anyone know how the "Witch Hunt" DLC works? I think I have it, but I've read it doesn't start until after the main story ends, will it be fairly straightforward getting to it?

• Like 1

At the very end of DA:O in Denerim now.... looking back, this was a great fucking game. Way better than II, though I did enjoy II.

Anyone know how the "Witch Hunt" DLC works? I think I have it, but I've read it doesn't start until after the main story ends, will it be fairly straightforward getting to it?

It really felt like baldurs gate which is just awesome.

The witch hunt dlc you access from the main menu, just click new game and you should see witch hunt listed with other dlc modules if you have them, then you just import your character and you are all set.

• Like 1

In case you haven't. Play Witch Hunt DLC if you have it at the end of Origins. That's actually the end of the game and relevant later on in DA 3.

Honestly not sure how the Awakening expansion for DA:O effects DA 3, however even though it's skip-able DA 2 is as relevant to DA 3 as DA:O.

One of the main playable characters is playable in DA 2 and the villain of DA 3 shows up in DA 2.

DA 2 is the weakest of the trilogy, but it isn't terrible. The issue is that it takes the depth/length out off DA:O to make it faster paced and more commercial. However DA 3 undoes the wrongs of DA 2 and is a far superior game, since it's a hybrid of DA:O/DA 2.

1 last thing when playing DA 3. Try not to spend forever in the Hinterlands, even though it may seem big. There are lots of other zones and eventually you'll end up overpowering later game enemies if you just grind-ed and tried to be a completion-ist early on. Don't take the recommenced level for each zone too seriously though either :P.

Edited by AtariLegend

In case you haven't. Play Witch Hunt DLC if you have it at the end of Origins. That's actually the end of the game and relevant later on in DA 3.

Honestly not sure how the Awakening expansion for DA:O effects DA 3, however even though it's skip-able DA 2 is as relevant to DA 3 as DA:O.

One of the main playable characters is playable in DA 2 and the villain of DA 3 shows up in DA 2.

DA 2 is the weakest of the trilogy, but it isn't terrible. The issue is that it takes the depth/length out off DA:O to make it faster paced and more commercial. However DA 3 undoes the wrongs of DA 2 and is a far superior game, since it's a hybrid of DA:O/DA 2.

1 last thing when playing DA 3. Try not to spend forever in the Hinterlands, even though it may seem big. There are lots of other zones and eventually you'll end up overpowering later game enemies if you just grind-ed and tried to be a completion-ist early on. Don't take the recommenced level for each zone too seriously though either :P.

Yeah I played II over the summer. It was OK. some really good things about it, and some meh things.

Finished DA:O today.... the Archdemon was a bit easier than I remember. Played through Witch Hunt, pretty cool DLC, I chose to go with Morrigan. Playing through the Golem DLC now, seems sort of unrelated to the rest of the lore but there's a small part of a completionist in me so I'm doing it. Then Leliana's Song. Not sure if I'm going to bother with The Darkspawn Chronicles.

Hope to start Awakening tomorrow, and DA:I by early next week.

Think you're referring to Varric from the DA:I videos I've seen. I did just realize though that the villain shows up in a DLC in DA: II and not the main game. I don't have any DA: II DLC, is it worth getting to play that one? Or any of the other DA: II DLC's important/worthwhile?

Just finished Awakening. Will probably start Inquisition tonight or tomorrow. Overall, Awakening was really great, just as good as Origins, the higher level gear/skills were really cool. It didn't run as well as Origins, but it was quite playable.

Was pretty cool being Warden-Commander, and the story wasn't terrible - definitely one of the better DLC/expansions I've played.

EDIT: World state loaded successfully to DA:I, it's ready to go. :)

Edited by OmarBradley

Got about 2 hours on DA:I. Not going to be able to do much today, but I'm very impressed so far.

I decided to start it last night when I got home after going out, and I wasn't sober, and my mind was blown by the prologue, :lol:. So much more epic than W3's intro was. Just met Mother Giselle and did a bit of exploring in the surrounding area of that camp.

Not much to say in regards to things I don't like..... the combat is going to take some getting used to... it's a bit more of a click fest than the previous two games. And I don't like the new mana/stamina system at all. Takes a bit of the difficulty out of combat in that you don't need to strategize to conserve. Also, you don't get attribute points to apply when you level up?!?! Only Talents are customizeable it seems.... guessing the whole Skills thing (Persuade, Survival, etc.), are gone/done differently?

All that being said... it's running very smoothly on Ultra, and being in the game feels great, very much looking forward to the rest of the game.

Edited by OmarBradley

the only things i didnt like was the quests, it felt too much like a MMO and i didnt like the inventory system, not sure why RPGS go away from the old school inventory systems they worked amazingly well.

Edited by bran

the only things i didnt like was the quests, it felt too much like a MMO and i didnt like the inventory system, not sure why RPGS go away from the old school inventory systems they worked amazingly well.

Yes that too, the inventory was great in I and II, unnecessarily changed in Inquisition.

Interesting, what do you mean by it felt like an MMO?

And I just noticed there is multiplayer... is that any good?

Yes that too, the inventory was great in I and II, unnecessarily changed in Inquisition.

Interesting, what do you mean by it felt like an MMO?

And I just noticed there is multiplayer... is that any good?

the quests usually involve a lot of fetch or kill quests similar to MMO's. the quests start to feel very similar in each zone. find 3 of these, pick 10 of these, destroy X, find Y. the companion quests, main quests and main quests in a zone are well done so its not so bad. i played multiplayer for about 5 hours or so, it was alright but seemed grindy and relied on micro transactions.

So.... where is Alistair.... the king of the country with a giant breach in the Veil and demons coming through from the Fade isn't mentioned once?!?! I'm 14 hours in, 4-5 hours of that being story related probably, no mention of a king or chancellor (Eamon).

In my game Alistair showed up for 5 minutes in red cliffs I think that was it iirc

So.... where is Alistair.... the king of the country with a giant breach in the Veil and demons coming through from the Fade isn't mentioned once?!?! I'm 14 hours in, 4-5 hours of that being story related probably, no mention of a king or chancellor (Eamon).

In my game Alistair showed up for 5 minutes in red cliffs I think that was it iirc

Hm, okay. I haven't gone there yet. Planning on doing so to meet with the mages though eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Decent ways into the game now. 30 hours in, got to Skyhold about 5-7 hours ago (gameplay hours). Sometimes I think The Witcher can't be beat, but the story in Inquisition is so fucking good, and the cinematic scenes help a lot too. The time travel thing with Alexius was awesome, normally time travel comes across corny and redundant, but I thought it worked really well the way they did it. And the Battle of Haven was cool too. These are the sorts of grandiose things I was hoping from W3. I don't think I can say one game is better than the other, they both excelled in different areas. Maybe W3 slightly gets it just because the level of immersion is so good.

Pretty set on my party for the rest of the game, main character, Blackwall, Dorian, Cole. I've killed two high dragons so far, and done most everything in the Hinterlands, but have quite a lot of exploring left to do in the other areas. Haven't even been to 2-3 of them yet. Very cool to see Hawke taking such an active role, wish they could have somehow pulled my character model from DA:II and updated it to Inquisition's engine/looks, I got sort of close recustomizing it.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

blackwall is badass. i swap him and cassandra out from time to time, i like to swap out characters and change up party from time to time its something i do with all bioware games and with dragon age its much easier than baldurs gate where companions come in pairs and if you pissed one off you would piss of their partner and they would leave(sometimes forever)

as for witcher 3 vs dragon age inquisition. i really like both games. i like the quests, characters and the world better than dragon age(dragon age has great characters and a great world as well) i like the party dynamic and the EPIC feel of the story(the dawn will come scene before getting skyhold was awesome) DAI was my GOTY last year where witcher 3 is my GOTY this year(fallout 4 is coming shortly though)

• Like 1