Could a reunited GnR have a hit song?

There's not much on rock radio in terms of new music. We have bands like Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Sixx AM, Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold, etc, but it seems that any new songs by bands that are over 15 years old seem to get played a lot at first and then drop from the airwaves. This happened with ACDC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, and a handful of others.

Could GnR break that spell though? Could a Slash and Axl reunion produce a hit song that will be played for years to come? Or, would a new GnR song be played for a month and then fall into the void of forgotten songs?

Could GnR have a crossover hit like Aerosmith's Don't Want To Miss a Thing that could introduce GnR to a whole new generation? A song like Patience or November Rain could easily accomplish this.... But do you think it will happen?

Could a Axl-Slash-Duff-Fortus-Frank-Dizzy-Chris lineup accomplish this? Or do you think they need Izzy on board?

Just some things I've been thinking about that I figured would make good discussion.

• Like 1

sadly more often then not, reunions are unsuccessful, on the long run. in fact the only one I can think of that was a success on permanent basis is Rolling Stones reunion, so perhaps that one can provide the culprit how to do it right.

usually these big bands reunite for a short while, a tour or two or a single event, grab fat paychecks, and then vanish into the oblivion (and youtube) yet again.

notice Stones material post Steel Wheels, with exception of Stripped and other live albums, is not all that great, yet they proved to be rock-solid as a live band, with very strong working etic. that, in conjunction with

releases from the valut http://www.stonesarchive.com/ make their ever gowing fan base happy and thriving.

so:

it wouldn't be a reunion without Izzy, as he is the most prolific of the bunch; provides GnR foundation.

they could have a hit song, although they wouldn't need one for a success.

they would most definitely need a new material, done in their trademark style. if they (grew to) dislike their trademark style (or got bored with it) too bad, better call the whole thing off.

Edited by Colossus of Rhodes

Every single time when middle aged rockers (and it happened over and over again to no end), try to supplicate to a younger audience/trend of the day, or to show how "hip" they are - it's a disaster. A stain on their discography.

The second bait is when they try to overcompensate, and really really show that "they still have it" it's also a disaster.

So since they are not idiots, and assuming they reunite (huge assumption) I am sure they know that their best bet is just chill/relax, and provide their trademark stuff (that most of current fans want anyway) and tour like motherfuckers.

As for new fans, they'll gradually cross over, and then, after couple of years of hard work, they'll have their mega hits. But, as Aerosmith say, that journey may actually be better than destination.

• Like 1

Black Sabbath's reunion album and tour has been fairly successful tho,i believe it sold pretty well and their shows had high attendance, the video's for God is Dead and End of The Begining are well received too. If Guns would do such a thing with a stadium tour, i bet their album would sell! Probably every rocker who is around since the 60's or 70's And many Young rock fans who still buy music will buy it, and if there is a song on it with the same epicness like jungle or the same emotional vibe and piano and solo's like november Rain sure there will be hit in it!

If it sounded like old GNR, no. Hard rock songs aren't hits.

Unless you're one of those idiots who thinks the rock charts matter.

People need to start getting their heads around the above concepts. Come to that, when was the last rock song of any description that was a hit?

Edited by Len B'stard