Sound Of A Gun Album Demos

Hey everyone,

On the suggestion of another member I have put together a Soundcloud playlist with the tracks I have earmarked for my album. The demos are in various stages; some are just the first verse and chorus, some are recorded with amp sims rather than live guitars and one was tracked with my old band, but as I don't have the separates, it is unmixed and unedited. The songs are in rough order of how they will appear on the finished record, I have two more tracks that I may add to the ten here and will upload them when I have recorded them.

Any feedback would be great!

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments! I am the vocalist, I haven't been compared to Bon Jovi before!

I am not a Bon Jovi fan per say but think I he has a unique voice so certainly did not mean it in a negative way. It was just my first impression listening to your songs at low volume in my office. Will have to listen with some good headphones later when I get a chance.

I will say I think your music is better then most of the stuff I hear today. The music business is really tough to make your mark in these days so good luck and hope you have success with your music.

Thanks for the comments! I am the vocalist, I haven't been compared to Bon Jovi before!

I am not a Bon Jovi fan per say but think I he has a unique voice so certainly did not mean it in a negative way. It was just my first impression listening to your songs at low volume in my office. Will have to listen with some good headphones later when I get a chance.

I will say I think your music is better then most of the stuff I hear today. The music business is really tough to make your mark in these days so good luck and hope you have success with your music.

I took it as a complement, he has a great voice. Thanks for the feedback, I make the music because I love making music; I would be the happiest man alive if I could earn a living out of it, but as you say, it is very hard to do!

As for modern music, I kind of got bored of it in the middle of the last decade, apart from maybe 4 or 5 bands. There are still so many cool bands that I never got around to listening to during my teens (90s) and in my dad's era (60s and 70s) so I would rather pursue that.

Just listened to them all, I love it. Straight up rock/hard rock, need more of that in the world. I kinda see the Bon Jovi thing, but I wouldn't have thought of it myself. I can definitely hear GNR influence in a lot of these songs, and in the tone too!

If you ever happen to move to east coast US, PM me.

Thanks Omar! Great feedback, we do need more rock in the world.

I think you're a great singer and except for the 1st song, I liked all the other ones. I don't think your voice is similar to Bon Jovi at all; if anything your singing style reminds me of Roxy Blue singer (a good thing) but don't worry about similarities, as long as you're not trying to sing like someone else your fine, it's your voice, its cool and you sing great in tune!

You need to develop your project, the hardest part of anyband you have already - a good singer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like it man! Guitar tone sounds great!

Thanks man! Glad you like it. I am fairly new to mic'ing amps up (started in May this year), so it is always good to be told by someone they like the guitar tone!

Absolutely! Check out my dust N bones cover in the other topic. I did the guitars all direct but I was thinking of rerecording with a blend of direct /mic. What's your opinion?

• Like 1

Thanks man! Glad you like it. I am fairly new to mic'ing amps up (started in May this year), so it is always good to be told by someone they like the guitar tone!
Absolutely! Check out my dust N bones cover in the other topic. I did the guitars all direct but I was thinking of rerecording with a blend of direct /mic. What's your opinion?

Yeah, I really liked that cover, very cool! Mic'd guitars have a certain atmosphere that can be lacking with direct recording, that is not to say that you can't get a good tone out of a direct recording, I have found that you have to go in pretty heavy with an EQ to scoop out the digital harshness though (at least with the amp sims I have used). I use a Blackstar HT-5 and for this track it was close mic'd with a 57 and MXL 990 condenser mic, that also has an emulated out and I can post something later as a sample of that. A blend of direct and mic'd could be cool, but you may find you start dropping your directs in favour of your mic'd tracks once they are side by side. What amp/amp sims/mics do you have?

Edited by SoundOfAGun

Sleaze is back! Great singing and cool song as always, you should get signed!

Thanks Klay! Have you ever done a cover of Need Your Love by Fleetwood Mac? I used to cover it at open mic nights, could be a cool collaboration and pretty quick to track. I still need to learn the other song we were talking about.

Yeah, I really liked that cover, very cool! Mic'd guitars have a certain atmosphere that can be lacking with direct recording, that is not to say that you can't get a good tone out of a direct recording, I have found that you have to go in pretty heavy with an EQ to scoop out the digital harshness (at keast with the amp aims I have used). I use a Blackstar HT-5 and for this track it was close mic'd with a 57 and MXL 990 condenser mic, that also has an emulated out and I can post something later as a sample of that. A blend of direct and mic'd could be cool, but you may find you start dropping your directs in favour of your mic'd tracks once they are side by side. What amp/amp sims/mics do you have?

Here is a link to the sample of the Blackstar HT-5 emulated out, it is pretty good for what it is, I have also listed the signal chain and post processing in the track description.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Realised the other day that I haven't put anything out on Soundcloud for about six months. It has been a weird time for me musically; the guy that I have written music with for the majority of my life is on board again and we are looking at the music we did as a band that never really made it to being a finished, recorded song. It is a cool thing to go back and tie up loose ends and I am hoping that we will have something to show in the next few weeks. It is two tracks initially, but we are also going to work on turning some of the demos I have posted here into finished pieces.

I have recorded three new songs this year, it has been pretty slow in comparison to 2015, but I guess that comes with the distractions of life in general; moving house, having a child, being disowned etc etc. This is a song that I put down a rough demo for in January this year, it is about being true to yourself, in whatever capacity, because we are only who we are. My son got hold of my tuner prior to me recording this demo, so all the guitar parts are recorded with the A tuned to 432 hz rather than 440 hz. If you believe the conspiracies, this tuning/calibration is better for your soul than the standard way....

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Realised the other day that I haven't put anything out on Soundcloud for about six months. It has been a weird time for me musically; the guy that I have written music with for the majority of my life is on board again and we are looking at the music we did as a band that never really made it to being a finished, recorded song. It is a cool thing to go back and tie up loose ends and I am hoping that we will have something to show in the next few weeks. It is two tracks initially, but we are also going to work on turning some of the demos I have posted here into finished pieces.

I have recorded three new songs this year, it has been pretty slow in comparison to 2015, but I guess that comes with the distractions of life in general; moving house, having a child, being disowned etc etc. This is a song that I put down a rough demo for in January this year, it is about being true to yourself, in whatever capacity, because we are only who we are. My son got hold of my tuner prior to me recording this demo, so all the guitar parts are recorded with the A tuned to 432 hz rather than 440 hz. If you believe the conspiracies, this tuning/calibration is better for your soul than the standard way....

i am a lyrics person and i LOVE these lyrics :) they are perfect for a situation in my life right now actually...

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i am a lyrics person and i LOVE these lyrics :) they are perfect for a situation in my life right now actually...

Glad you like them! The lyrics apply to several people in my life and is a tough subject to write about. It is cool to know that they are meaningful to someone else as well.:)

• Like 1

On 9/19/2016 at 5:01 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

Song sounds great. Funny you mention that about the tuning. I actually like tuning everything slightly sharp! I feel that it brightens up the tone a bit since I'm always in Eb. Could be just my brain thinking it's actually doing that though.

I should do a bit of a gear update, here's a poor quality picture of my amp situation now.

I think I'll get some clips up later. Did you end up getting a new bridge pickup?

EDIT: Whoops, thought this was The Gear Thread.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Song sounds great. Funny you mention that about the tuning. I actually like tuning everything slightly sharp! I feel that it brightens up the tone a bit since I'm always in Eb. Could be just my brain thinking it's actually doing that though.

I should do a bit of a gear update, here's a poor quality picture of my amp situation now.

I think I'll get some clips up later. Did you end up getting a new bridge pickup?

EDIT: Whoops, thought this was The Gear Thread.

Thanks man, I am also in Eb, it was all down to not checking the tuner calibration before I hit record. I did get new pickups, I'll post about it in the gear thread.