Disheartening Adler interview - Slash/Duff doubt sobriety

this is why i've never cared about steven as much as the others. not just because he's the drummer (i know the cliche is that the drummer is the bandmember who typically gets the least attention), but because from the get-go he always stood out as the one who wasn't in on the message of the whole thing, and was just there for the ride. axl, slash, duff, izzy -- they all had these demons that came out, they all seemed to be self-aware that Appetite wasn't hair metal or celebratory, it was a dark and vicious record. but steven never seemed to understand that. in a weird way, this complimented the album -- he brings a naive, rollicking, jovial energy to his drumming -- but the image of him grinning like a doofus in SCOM is all i'm ever left with when i think about him. if that sounds mean, it simply is what it is: he was a nice kid crippled by addiction who just happened to be in the right place at the right time, but if there's ever a reunion, it's gonna be sorum on that kit. and the more he runs his mouth and says this kind of shit, the less inclined anyone involved with the band would be to give him another chance.

• Like 2

this is why i've never cared about steven as much as the others. not just because he's the drummer (i know the cliche is that the drummer is the bandmember who typically gets the least attention), but because from the get-go he always stood out as the one who wasn't in on the message of the whole thing, and was just there for the ride. axl, slash, duff, izzy -- they all had these demons that came out, they all seemed to be self-aware that Appetite wasn't hair metal or celebratory, it was a dark and vicious record. but steven never seemed to understand that. in a weird way, this complimented the album -- he brings a naive, rollicking, jovial energy to his drumming -- but the image of him grinning like a doofus in SCOM is all i'm ever left with when i think about him. if that sounds mean, it simply is what it is: he was a nice kid crippled by addiction who just happened to be in the right place at the right time, but if there's ever a reunion, it's gonna be sorum on that kit. and the more he runs his mouth and says this kind of shit, the less inclined anyone involved with the band would be to give him another chance.

I understand what you are saying, but from a pure musical standpoint he was perfect for the other guys' sound. Sorum never fit in. The drumming on Appetite is an integral part of the GN'R sound.

• Like 1

I read Steven's book and to me the man is essentially still a teenager; he talks, thinks and acts like one (just reading the sex scenes in the book...how could he look his mother in the eye afterwards??). Even by his own admissions, he had a spectacular self- sabotage streak that affected GNR and everybody who loved him badly. There could be a genuine fear that exposing Stephen to these pressures and pleasures again will send him back to la la land.

BUT, I do think he's genuine, he loves his instrument, works hard at it when sober and he did get the whole thing started for Slash, so in my book he deserves a last fair hand from the old guard.

Also, the original 5 playing AFD on tour would be a wonderful thing to see - closure at last. This offering has value as its the purest rendering of the album that started it all for GNR. I think the fans would love to see that, just to say they saw all 5 originals play AFD together.

If the tour is stripped back to 5 men not the usual 8 Axl is used to, there should be plenty of money available to take Steven and Matt out and let them work on a set where Stephen starts out the first third of the show, Matt does the second two thirds but have him and Stephen play Paradise City and a couple of other tunes together for the last part of the set.

They could work on some nice bongo / drum combo shit for Patience, November Rain, Yesterdays and Breakdown then play together hell for leather in Paradise City.

Edited by Intercourse

This isn't even a teenage level of maturity. It's sad. What sort of grown adult actually whines to the press that someone else doesn't think he's "cool?!" Nearly every time Steven does an interview he seems to be going on about how this or that person is so meeean to him.

And insinuating that he will harm himself or others if he's left out of the reunion, is manipulative and reprehensible. I actually do believe they would have to put him on suicide watch if he were excluded. But should that be a bargaining chip? Let the guy play...or he'll kill himself or someone else? Disgusting.

• Like 1

He was great in Guns, his big smile etc....but drugs ruined his whole deal. Still like him and wish him the best, but no way he could survive a tour sober. Maybe a guest appearance at a gig or 2, that's it. Wouldn't be healthy for him.

And yeah- I doubt it's been 21 months sober. *I have no idea,. Don't know the dude, but just based on his track record.

Sadly I think leaving him out would not be healthy for him either. Can you imagine what would happen to Adler if the others reunited without him? Adler has literally been dreaming of a reunion since he was sacked!

and he's actually saying what he'll do in the interview.

It seems many sites are picking up this story, he should have remained quiet, he himself knows he would be the last one to be called, no one knows whats going on, so it would have been better for Steven to have remained quiet.

He has messed up his chances more. He should have tried to make his friendship better with Slash and Duff instead of talking these things, I know he wants to vent things out, but his venting will turn people against him.

If there is a reunion, I know he would be able to handle the tour, he can really play, but even then he won't be able to shut his mouth, he will keep on repeating the same thing again and again.

"I love those guys, and I always will, but Duff, he doesn't think I'm cool," Adler said. "He doesn't think I'm a cool guy. This is what people tell me. And he doesn't think I'm cool, and that I'm not that great of a drummer. And Slash, he doesn't believe that I have 21 months and 21 days sober."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-roses-steven-adler-slash-and-duff-mckagan-dont-believe-i-am-21-months-sober/

He just throw out himself from any possible reunion speculation

He is a mess anyway, so who cares

Just call Brian he has more swagger, feel and technique then Adler and Sorum combined. Axl, Duff and Slash is all that matters (and I love Izzy but I doubt he will commit full time - some guest spots for sure)

No just no

He played horribly on AFD and UYI songs....

Brian is just flat out amazing even comparing him to any other GN'R drummer is insulting to his skills.

I doubt Axl will sign to make it AFD lineup reunion

- he will be one against whole band

- Adler is just unreliable

- Izzy isn't a safe bet either

So I guess it will be something like Axl, Slash, Duff + Frank/Brian + Fortus with some Izzy guest performances. If it happens of course.

How could anybody have faith in Adler he is just crazy and I get an impression that he is just 8year old child in old body. I think if there is a deal for reunion they will have to eliminate guys like Izzy or Adler as they can blow out whole thing.

have you heard him with GNR? he IS HORRIBLE

can't even play the YCBM intro drum fills right....

Yeah, he is a good drummer on modern rock songs, but overall, he was a pretty shitty player even in 2006, i heard him with my own two ears and honestly some youtuber 12 year old can play better AFD or UYI songs than him....

even Slash's current drummer (Brent Fitz) got more swagger than Brain, sorry

He may a technically good drummer, but have got zero "feel"

So don't suck his cock so shiny...

Edited by Strange Broue

Just call Brian he has more swagger, feel and technique then Adler and Sorum combined. Axl, Duff and Slash is all that matters (and I love Izzy but I doubt he will commit full time - some guest spots for sure)

No just no

Brian is just flat out amazing even comparing him to any other GN'R drummer is insulting to his skills.

So I guess it will be something like Axl, Slash, Duff + Frank/Brian + Fortus with some Izzy guest performances. If it happens of course.

How could anybody have faith in Adler he is just crazy and I get an impression that he is just 8year old child in old body. I think if there is a deal for reunion they will have to eliminate guys like Izzy or Adler as they can blow out whole thing.

Yeah, he is a good drummer on modern rock songs, but overall, he was a pretty shitty player even in 2006, i heard him with my own two ears and honestly some youtuber 12 year old can play better AFD or UYI songs than him....

He's got a combination of Adler's groove and Sorum's power.

Sure, he can't do YCBM right, but he's still a shitload better than fucking Ferrer.

No just no

He's got a combination of Adler's groove and Sorum's power.

Sure, he can't do YCBM right, but he's still a shitload better than fucking Ferrer.

who cares?

Just take Sorum and go with him

Adler says some people told him that the band (Axl, Slash and Duff) are already rehearsing with Matt??????

Minute. 1.35

https://t.co/El2vIja1aS

wishful thinking and he made it up probably

I listened to the interview and I sort of like Adler. There is so much political bullshit, 'let's not step on Axl's toes', Slash's diplomatic interviews, that it is refreshing to hear somebody say it how he sees it.

I agree, what he says makes sense. i hope he can get his shot at a vegas residency even if Frank plays the main tour.

Yeah, someone posted early in the thread that he sounded "high", but I completely disagree. He sounded totally like normal Steven Adler to me. This is who he is - a simple guy with no filter. It is kinda funny how he repeats everything he "hears" ...it could be true or it could be b.s., it depends on the source. If he was drinking all the time while on tour with Duff, it certainly shouldn't surprise anybody that Duff would be upset with that. Steven has always been the architect of his own demise. I really, really hope he is able to stay sober this time, and the truth is that nobody knows the answer to that question ... certainly not Steven Adler.

It's interesting to know that no one has talked to him about anything "official", but as he himself said, he'd be the last to know because the other guys know he couldn't keep the secret for more than a short time. Maybe someone will contact him within "2-4 months". ;) If we are to believe Trunk's source, if the reunion happens it wiil include Adler, along with a backup quarterback and a team of therapists.

• Like 1

Adler says some people told him that the band (Axl, Slash and Duff) are already rehearsing with Matt??????

Minute. 1.35

https://t.co/El2vIja1aS

I have no proof, but I get the sense Steven is surrounded by hangers on and people praying on his insecurities.

If there is a reunion, I would like to think the rest of the band will just filter through the chaff and recognize Adler as a worthy component.

Adler would have to sign a lot of legal agreements before he is allowed to be part of it. God forbid the other band members eat his "spaghetti bowl" again...

I totally agree with that. If he even did so much as come up for a song or two I have a feeling there would be contracts upon contracts about it because otherwise, as Axl said, there would be years of legal entanglements. I could totally see him sitting there screaming that they screwed him over again somehow.