Terminator Franchise (New film on the way)

RussTCB

On 23/1/2017 at 1:01 PM, maynard said:

They should make a movie showing two old scientists in the future (Arnold and Robert Patrick) trying to create or send a terminator to the past and interconnect it with a story about how fucked up life on Earth was after T2 focusing on Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong. Get the old cast back and put a new GNR song on the soundtrack, get that dark/blue-ish tone back, get rid of famous one-liners.... that would be a cool drama/sci-fi movie.

Actually, Robert Patrick was in the script for the Terminator Salvation sequel, and was going to be an old scientist LOL

Anyway, I think it should be a Genisys sequel. The Skynet from the movie was meant to be the Skynet from the original timeline who traveled to the Genisys timeline according to the makers of the film.
A "Days of Future Past" kind of sequel which could do a crossover between both timelines, would be the best and less confusing option in my opinion.

The only way this would work is if they take the problems of the previous film(s) and turn it into some kinda metaphor to drive the story of this one. Like there's something that's constantly fucking the timeline up on purpose and the movie is about them stopping that once and for all.

alternatively, they can just do a "soft reboot" like the xmen movies always seem to do in some form or another.

I grew up loving the first two Terminator films. Are you upset by what’s happened to the franchise? It seems like it’s been hijacked, and they’re just getting worse and worse.

JC: It hasn’t been hijacked. It’s really just stumbled along, trying to find its voice again. There’s probably some degree to where it’s lost relevance, you know? Maybe the things that made it good back then are kind of a yawn now. It’s easy to remember fondly the things that kick off a franchise. It’s hard to keep a franchise vigorous, and relevant. I haven’t had my hand on the tiller since Terminator 2, and that was 1991. So what’s that? Twenty-six years? But look, I think it’s possible to tell a great Terminator story now, and it’s relevant. We live in a digital age, and Terminator ultimately, if you can slow it down, is about our relationship with our own technology, and how our technology can reflect back to us—and in the movie, literally, in a human form that is a nemesis and a threat. But also in those movies, in the two that I did, it’s about how we dehumanize ourselves. In a time when people are being absorbed by their virtual-social world, I mean, just look around. I always say: if Terminator was about the war between the humans and the machines, look around any restaurant or airport lounge and tell me the machines haven’t won when every human you see is enslaved to their device. So could you make a relevant Terminator film now? Absolutely.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/29/james-cameron-on-the-trump-administration-these-people-are-insane.html

• 2 weeks later...

So the other day I got bored and started thinking about what this supposed "half reboot, half confusion" movie for the Terminator franchise could possibly be like. I jotted down some ideas and because I don't really know where else to put them, I figured I could share them here.

So without further ado, for those who give a shit, here's my pointless fan-outline for Terminator 6: 

Its the 1950s. Picture like a Grease/ Happy Days type of setting. We see a bunch of teenagers in leather jackets with DA haircuts drinking egg creams and eating burgers while listening to some Elvis on a jukebox at a restaurant. Everyone is having a good time. We start to focus in on this one particular couple, Sean and Jane. Since they're with all their friends, they're acting like everything is fine, but we as the audience can tell that something is not quite right. 

Later on, the two of them are alone at a drive-in, and we find out that the reason they're not quite getting along these days is cause one wants to go steady and the other doesn't (yeah, I'm really pushing the 1950s angle here). Suddenly (you guessed it!), a terminator shows up. It's not old Arnold or cgi young Arnold. It's just a new terminator that we've never seen before. Let's just say he's the T-4000 (they're running out of numbers for these things). He reeks havoc at the drive-in and chases Sean and Jane into the woods (think like a really classic horror-style sorta sequence). Just when it looks like they're fucked, a reprogrammed terminator shows up. Again, it's not Arnold. I imagine him being pretty similar to that Marcus character from Terminator Salvation. But because I don't want to make direct ties to that film, lets just say this guy is named Mark. Anyway, he saves the young couple and gets them away from the T-4000 and to some place where they're safe for the time being. There, he explains (not in these exact words): 

"your future daughter will have a son who becomes the messiah of the post-apocalyptic world. because of that, this thing called skynet has sent terminators back in time to try to kill both your daughter as well as her son. None of their attempts at this have worked, though, so now they've decided to backtrack a step and try to kill the two of you instead."

The bulk of the film then progresses pretty similarly to the original terminator film, with Sean and Jane growing closer together. Soon enough, they have sex. 

Eventually, Mark manages to blow the T-4000 to pieces (some fragments still remain scattered around), but in order to pull this off he is forced to sacrifice himself in a way where he is destroyed as well (but again, fragments of him still remain). 

Not too long after, Sean and Jane have decided to try to "fight fire with fire" in order to stop skynet once and for all. By having previously gotten information from Mark before he died, they come up with a plan. Jane breaks into the home of the couple who will go on to give birth to Miles Dyson, the founder of Skynet, while Sean breaks into the home of the ancestor of the person who will someday invent time travel (just cause its the 1950s, lets say this person is named Doc Brown).

Just like how Sarah Connor has a gun pointed to a defenseless Miles in T2, both Jane and Sean have guns pointed at their defenseless targets. Furthermore, just like Sarah did in T2, Jane comes to her senses and realizes what she is doing is morally wrong, so she lowers her gun and lets the Dysons live...Sean, on the other hand, pulls the trigger. He kills the ancestor of whoever will invent time travel, thus preventing all of the other movies in the series from ever being able to happen.

The Dysons agree to let Jane go without pressing any charges. Sean, on the other hand, is jailed for life. Some time later, Jane finds out she's pregnant with his baby (remember, they fucked earlier). So Sarah and John Conor are both still born, and skynet still happens cause Jane let the Dysons live, but in this version of the cycle, time travel doesn't exist, so skynet no longer has their "time travel plan b" thing to fall back on once John defeats them and wins the war in the future. So now not only is the franchise totally reset, but its locked in a fixated timeline so the filmmakers can no longer use time travel as a stupid retcon in future films.
Edited by rocknroll41

If Terminator was about the war between the humans and the machines, look around any restaurant or airport lounge and tell me the machines haven’t won when every human you see is enslaved to their device. So could you make a relevant Terminator film now? Absolutely.

With that plot, please bring back Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick and that's it. Hasta la vista, baby. End this franchise for good.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 9:40 PM, Silent Jay said:

I would absolutely love to see Robert Patrick again in a Terminator movie. They should explain at least the origin of the T-1000.

T-1000 was developed for two reasons. To infiltrate the human resistance and to be able to take out any re-programmed older T models. Now that could probably be stretched into a 2 hour movie but that is the origin story for you.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Didn't the T1000 take on Patrick's visual appearance because he happened to be some cop he killed?

Correct. The T-1000 returned in the most recent film and took the form of some Asian guy who also happened to be a cop for some dumb reason. 

So yeah even if they brought back the T-1000, it doesn't make any sense story-wise for it to be Robert Patrick again. 

Edited by rocknroll41

Nah.

The T-1000 looked like Robert Patrick from the beginning, before he even went back through time, before there was even a cop to kill.

You could make the argument that he was designed to look like that, or possibly, he came in contact with a human in the future that he imitated. I guess it was something Cameron deemed irrelevant, ultimately. 

2 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

Nah.

The T-1000 looked like Robert Patrick from the beginning, before he even went back through time, before there was even a cop to kill.

You could make the argument that he was designed to look like that, or possibly, he came in contact with a human in the future that he imitated. I guess it was something Cameron deemed irrelevant, ultimately. 

Oh shit maybe I remember T2 wrong then. Haven't seen it in awhile. I'll have to revisit it.

15 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

Nah.

Yeah. He was definitely Robert Patrick before he killed the cop, and the cop didn't look like Robert Patrick. 

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I've always been a fan of the plot device where Robert Patrick and Arnold are two scientists in the future who design many of the Terminators to look like themselves. I also thought the Genisys explanation that the human tissue still ages was fair enough.

They almost did that for Salvation, right? And they also did the whole "John Connor ends up as a reprogrammed terminator in disguise" thing, right? 

Its a damn shame that Salvation pussied out of all of its ideas.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...