Gilby Clarke on the Reunion: "I don't think it's going to happen"

Well by your logic the only people the public, the really casual public, care about is Axl and Slash. Stradlin contributed more in terms of songwriting than Slash did and Duff was an integral part of the sound yet the casuals barely care about those two more than they do Gilby Clarke (or for that matter Matt or Dizzy). I hope people are better informed than that.

Gilby wrote songs with Matt and Slash for a future GN'R album so presumably carried the consent of at least those two, in regards to his future participation as a contributor and not merely a performer. It is well known that Axl's dismissal of Gilby did not have Slash's or Duff's consent also.

The reality is that the public only thinks of Axl and Slash. Duff possibly but that's just how it is. Tyler/Perry. Jagger/Richards. Plant/Page. It is what it is. No one gives a crap about whether Gilby is included. lol

You are just discussing the uber casuals. Do you honestly believe Axl, Slash and a bunch of random guys would carry enough legitimacy to be labelled a 'reunion', be marketed a 'reunion' tour? How is Slash supposed to 'reunite' with Fortus when he has never formally played with him? Come on, sort this stuff out in your head! We are discussing a reunion here which presupposes people who have formally played together.

The reunion is always Axl and Slash...........

BTW, what is an "uber casual?" Either they're casual or not and most of the public is a casual. Unless you think that all of the boards 200 or so regular users are the whole public, I don't see what the problem is here.

If it isn't an Appetite reunion then you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. No "reunion outside of those guys is a genuine reunion.

The reunion of GNR will be legitimate with Axl, Slash and Duff. Izzy and Adler would be a bonus. Izzy and Matt would be a lesser bonus. Gilby, Fortus or Paul make no difference after that point. Like someone stated earlier, this is just being a purist for the sake of being a purist. Once the public were to find out Izzy is out by choice, his replacement is entirely up in the air and Gilby doesn't impact it either way.

Edited by Rustycage

I think there are few facts about reunion tour:

1.Only Axl,Slash and Duff know what is happening

2.Matt is much better decision than Steven (Steven can play some songs like guest).I like a man but he isn't ready for massive tour

3.Fortus is bezter solutions than Guilby

Well by your logic the only people the public, the really casual public, care about is Axl and Slash. Stradlin contributed more in terms of songwriting than Slash did and Duff was an integral part of the sound yet the casuals barely care about those two more than they do Gilby Clarke (or for that matter Matt or Dizzy). I hope people are better informed than that.

Gilby wrote songs with Matt and Slash for a future GN'R album so presumably carried the consent of at least those two, in regards to his future participation as a contributor and not merely a performer. It is well known that Axl's dismissal of Gilby did not have Slash's or Duff's consent also.

The reality is that the public only thinks of Axl and Slash. Duff possibly but that's just how it is. Tyler/Perry. Jagger/Richards. Plant/Page. It is what it is. No one gives a crap about whether Gilby is included. lol

You are just discussing the uber casuals. Do you honestly believe Axl, Slash and a bunch of random guys would carry enough legitimacy to be labelled a 'reunion', be marketed a 'reunion' tour? How is Slash supposed to 'reunite' with Fortus when he has never formally played with him? Come on, sort this stuff out in your head! We are discussing a reunion here which presupposes people who have formally played together.

The reunion is always Axl and Slash...........

BTW, what is an "uber casual?" Either their casual or not and most of the public is a casual. Unless you think that all of the boards 200 or so regular users are the whole public, I don't see what the problem is here.

If it isn't an Appetite reunion then you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. No "reunion outside of those guys is a genuine reunion.

The reunion of GNR will be legitimate with Axl, Slash and Duff. Izzy and Adler would be a bonus. Izzy and Matt would be a lesser bonus. Gilby, Fortus or Paul make no difference after that point. Like someone stated earlier, this is just being a purist for the sake of being a purist. Once the public were to find out Izzy is out by choice, his replacement is entirely up in the air and Gilby doesn't impact it either way.

People here I think need to learn what a 'reunion' is?

A reunion usually entails the reunion of a previous line-up, not two members! When Page and Plant reunited in 1994 they did not call it 'Led Zeppelin'. Having Axl, Slash and people like Fortus would be the equivalent of having some sort of strange amalgam of Deep Purple Marks 2 and 3, say with both Gillan and Glen Hughes. It would be like having Eric Singer and Ace Frehley in 1996.

I'm sorry but I seriously just lol'd.

On one hand you argue that Gilby is a legitimate member. Then on the other, argue that a legitimate reunion must include all original members. You repeated my point.

Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy is as purist as it will get. Adler is most likely left out. Without Izzy and Adler, it is no longer a purist reunion and Matt is the only remaining of the replacements that are accepted as genuine past members.

This is why I speak of contributions. Nothing was released with Gilby's contributions. The only thing that contains Gilby is in your head. Your memories. This is a stupid circle argument and I'll just say it one last time. Gilby is not important in a reunion regardless of diehard nostalgia for the UYI tour.

Edited by Rustycage

I'm sorry but I seriously just lol'd.

On one hand you argue that Gilby is a legitimate member. Then on the other, argue that a legitimate reunion must include all original members. You repeated my point.

Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy is as purist as it will get. Adler is most likely left out. Without Izzy and Adler, it is no longer a purist reunion and Matt is the only remaining of the replacements that are accepted as genuine past members.

This is why I speak of contributions. Nothing was released with Gilby's contributions. The only thing that contains Gilby is in your head. Your memories. This is a stupid circle argument and I'll just say it one last time. Gilby is not important in a reunion regardless of diehard nostalgia for the UYI tour.

Your attempts to rewrite history do your no favours. As I have pointed out, Gilby played 71% of the Use Your Illusion tour, Guns N' Roses's biggest tour! I might also add that he appears on 1/5 studio albums, a (double) live video and seven promos. He was the guitarist during the Paris PPV, a world wide event with mass exposure for the band, as well as the Freddie Mercury Tribute. More of them Live Era songs seem to be Gilby era also. Additionally, on merchandising, advertisements and at award shows he appeared as a full time member. You cannot bring yourself to acknowledge any of this.

If Gilby was strictly a 'touring member' he would not have appeared on TSI, would not have demoed songs with Slash and Matt, and would have been relegated from the band's publicity. Since none of these things happened, it is safe to assume he was recruited as a member of Guns N' Roses.

Clearly Gilby must have signed into the current partnership! Oh wait.... his contract covered the tour and was completed after the tour was over.

“My official end was actually at the last show of the last tour,” he continued. “Axl was jokingly saying ‘bye’ to everybody, but he was really saying ‘bye’ to everybody. He even came up to me and said, ‘Hey, enjoy your last show.’ At that point I thought he was being funny, but he wasn’t being funny. He knows what he’s doing. He’s a smart guy. So I knew it was the end at the last show.” -Gilby

^ Touring member.

Edited by Rustycage

Well using that strict definition, Matt and Dizzy were never GN'R members. In fact there has never been a GN'R member (apart from Axl) since late-1995. Ron Wood was also not a Stone until the early '90s.

Here is another statistic. Of total known gigs (430), Gilby played 32% of them (138). Still, you do not like facts, do you?

Matt and Dizzy performed on an original release, had an actual consensus of being longterm and had an actual agreement that lasted beyond the tour. Gilby played covers on TSI while they were waiting for Axl to finish UYI and during tour downtime. Outside of the tour, Gilby was never considered a longterm member. That is your fact.

Why are you focusing on percentages of shows played? I've already conceded he was a touring member. Just like Tracey and Roberta.

Step outside and ask someone if Gilby Clarke is important in a GNR reunion. See if you can break through the wall of responses of "Gilby who?" That will tell you just how important he is to what you consider a "legitimate reunion."

You want to take it as I'm bashing Gilby and that isn't the case. I'm just not blinded by a hate of nugnr to where I pick any and all members outside of them and call them legitimate simply because Slash was in the band. I don't consider any of nugnr to be legitimate members(including Dizzy) as they are just a backing band. Axl is the only important member to the public in this version of the band.

And once a GNR reunion takes place, the reunion is certified as long as Axl, Slash and Duff are a part of it. And that's not to slight Izzy but I am also not deluded enough to think that the public would dismiss an Axl, Slash and Duff reunion as being GNR if Izzy or Gilby aren't there.

Also, I'm not deluded enough to think that Axl would totally cave in to the point where he tells Fortus to fuck off for Gilby. It isn't going to happen for you.

Well using that strict definition, Matt and Dizzy were never GN'R members. In fact there has never been a GN'R member (apart from Axl) since late-1995. Ron Wood was also not a Stone until the early '90s.

Here is another statistic. Of total known gigs (430), Gilby played 32% of them (138). Still, you do not like facts, do you?

How many songs did he write and/or record? Before/during the success? What sacrifices did he give? Please, the first of many who were hired touring hands.

The idea that Gilby was recruited as somebody who was somewhat less than a fulltime member is Axl revisionism. Gilby was marketed as a member of 'Guns N' Roses' and not merely a backing musician or Darryl Jones type character.

Guns-N-Roses-Spaghetti-Inciden-488592.jp

61eaU4oGXQL._SY355_.jpg

Further, he appeared at awards and such like as a 'Guns N' Roses' member.

I think the point is, Gilby worked for real Guns, while Fortus worked for Axl and his ridiculous circus band.

No, I get it but there is nothing "important" about Gilby's presence. Those arguing otherwise are simply trying to revise and wipe nugnr off of the books as if it were possible.

Gilby worked with Slash and Matt on demos for the next GN'R album in 1994, co-writing Good to Be Alive and Dime Store Rock. Slash and Matt did not seem to envision Gilby ''as a member, but somehow less than a member'' - whatever Axl envisioned.

New gnr were hacks because they are an imposition and illegitimate.

Neither Axl, Slash or Matt dictate solely who is a legitimate member. Gilby is no more a "legitimate" member than Fortus is. Considering that Fortus has contributed to this version of the band and Slash also has no problem with him, LOGICALLY he is the better choice if Izzy is out. Anything to the contrary isn't truly an objective perspective and is just to slight Fortus because he played with Axl in nugnr. Slash didn't have a problem with it.

Also, there would have to be some give and take for a reunion to happen and Fortus is the obvious choice in that regard.

You are missing one important point. Tobias is connected with the end of the partnership. Clarke was recruited when the Axl-Slash-Duff partnership was still extent.

I'm not missing it. It's just not relevant. The general public doesn't give a shit about any of that. Neither Gilby or Paul are an important piece to GNR. In a compromise situation(which a reunion would certainly be), Fortus is the way to go after Izzy. Slash was ok with him during the dark years and so was Axl. Fortus is the bridge.

One question: What does Gilby bring to the band that no other replacement can bring outside of the illusion and nostalgia of the UYI tour?

He is a connection to the legitimate band and not associated with hacks and roses and was appointed by a consensus, with the band operating as a proper band, whereas there is nothing consensual about Axl's freak show. The partnership is completely relevant. Did you know that Guns were actually dissolved? A new band was created in their place which just so happens to carry the same name as the old band. Legally the band masquerading as Guns are not the same band as that which existed prior to 1995.

When Izzy left, I hated Gilby.... Now I have no feelings either way... When Izzy left, I gave up on GnR...

Edited by pacu44

Honest question: which are Izzy's own solo?

Think about you

I guess the first solo of Nightrain

he did compose the Riff of Out Ta Get Me, not sure about the Solo.

Izzy's the first half of Nightrains solo
Does Izzy play part of the Back off Bitch solo on the record?
I don't think so. He must play the lick before the end of the song but I can't tell you for sure.
To me it always sounded like a Slash/Rose song but someone was saying it was Rose with Izzy doing some of the solo. To me it sounds like Slash rocker.

But the opening riffing on YCBM is Izzy. Or at least he wrote it and was playing it in Rio live.

How many songs did he write and/or record? Before/during the success? What sacrifices did he give? Please, the first of many who were hired touring hands.

The idea that Gilby was recruited as somebody who was somewhat less than a fulltime member is Axl revisionism. Gilby was marketed as a member of 'Guns N' Roses' and not merely a backing musician or Darryl Jones type character.

Guns-N-Roses-Spaghetti-Inciden-488592.jp

61eaU4oGXQL._SY355_.jpg

Further, he appeared at awards and such like as a 'Guns N' Roses' member.

I think the point is, Gilby worked for real Guns, while Fortus worked for Axl and his ridiculous circus band.

No, I get it butthere is nothing "important" about Gilby's presence. Those arguing otherwise are simply trying to revise and wipe nugnr off of the books as if it were possible.

Gilby worked with Slash and Matt on demos for the next GN'R album in 1994, co-writing Good to Be Alive and Dime Store Rock. Slash and Matt did not seem to envision Gilby ''as a member, but somehow less than a member'' - whatever Axl envisioned.

New gnr were hacks because they are an imposition and illegitimate.

Neither Axl, Slash or Matt dictate solely who is a legitimate member. Gilby is no more a "legitimate" member than Fortus is. Considering that Fortus has contributed to this version of the band and Slash also has no problem with him, LOGICALLY he is the better choice if Izzy is out. Anything to the contrary isn't truly an objective perspective and is just to slight Fortus because he played with Axl in nugnr. Slash didn't have a problem with it.

Also, there would have to be some give and take for a reunion to happen and Fortus is the obvious choice in that regard.

You are missing one important point. Tobias is connected with the end of the partnership. Clarke was recruited when the Axl-Slash-Duff partnership was still extent.

I'm not missing it. It's just not relevant. The general public doesn't give a shit about any of that. Neither Gilby or Paul are an important piece to GNR. In a compromise situation(which a reunion would certainly be), Fortus is the way to go after Izzy. Slash was ok with him during the dark years and so was Axl. Fortus is the bridge.

One question: What does Gilby bring to the band that no other replacement can bring outside of the illusion and nostalgia of the UYI tour?

He is a connection to the legitimate band and not associated with hacks and roses and was appointed by a consensus, with the band operating as a proper band, whereas there is nothing consensual about Axl's freak show. The partnership is completely relevant. Did you know that Guns were actually dissolved? A new band was created in their place which just so happens to carry the same name as the old band. Legally the band masquerading as Guns are not the same band as that which existed prior to 1995.

When Izzy left, I hated Gilby.... Now I have no feelings either way... When Izzy left, I gave up on GnR...
That's true for me also. I naturally drifted away, didnt even buy Spag inc on release but got in a sale a year or two later. I liked it but was more a throwback to UYI era than a new album. I got back into GNR via Slash's Snakepit album and the snakepit website. Then I saw Axl had a new line up and could see it was these 90s guys and thought he must be trying to be like Faith No More or something. Then those live versions of Chi dem, The Blues, Silkworms, Riad, Madgascar came out and I felt like it was still good songs. The whole landscape had changed so GNR were now this weird underground thing nobody even mentioned. Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Richard Fortus has played 350 out of a total 770 Guns N' Roses shows. That's 45%. I like facts.

• Like 1

I doubt Gilby would be asked back. I never really think of him as a GNR member, just a fill in for Izzy.

If he was just a 'fill in for Izzy' then what does that make nugnr members who have never even played on a studio album? The 'fill in for Izzy' is just Axl revisionism. When Slash recruited him he intended him to be a full time member.

That begs the question then. Who actually are/were "members of GnR.

Wouldn't it be everybody that Axl has called a band member? I've seen Gilby in pictures, stories and concerts where he was referred to as a member of GnR. He performed with and was paid by the band.

Does that mean Frank and DJ and Sorum weren't members of GnR?

I'm so confused.

Why would anyone want a hack like Fortus over Gilby Clarke?

Man I hope you're kidding..

No I'm not. Fortus is a reminder to Slash etc of the hideous 'nugnr' era. He is inherently an 'Axl man'.

Slash asked Fortus to join the Conspirators a few years back, what are you talking about ?

I think Slash asked him to join Snakepit II, but Fortus was already committed to Axl's band.

I truly doubt it was for The Conspirators, but I might be wrong. Do you have a source?

Maybe you are right, I'm unsure about which band but my source is myself as I saw a Facebook post by Fortus himself a few years back replying to a dumb fan who said something along the lines of "Slash thinks all current GnR guitarists suck" with "Slash said that ? That's funny as he asked me to join his band a few years ago".

Not making that up.

Oh, no, no, I wasn't trying to suggest that you were making that up. I mean, I saw the thread too. I just didn't remember Fortus saying that the offer was 'a few years back', that's why I asked for a source.

Richard Fortus has played 350 out of a total 770 Guns N' Roses shows. That's 45%. I like facts.

And not one of them are bona fide GN'R gigs.

Matt and Dizzy performed on an original release, had an actual consensus of being longterm and had an actual agreement that lasted beyond the tour. Gilby played covers on TSI while they were waiting for Axl to finish UYI and during tour downtime. Outside of the tour, Gilby was never considered a longterm member. That is your fact.

Why are you focusing on percentages of shows played? I've already conceded he was a touring member. Just like Tracey and Roberta.

Step outside and ask someone if Gilby Clarke is important in a GNR reunion. See if you can break through the wall of responses of "Gilby who?" That will tell you just how important he is to what you consider a "legitimate reunion."

You want to take it as I'm bashing Gilby and that isn't the case. I'm just not blinded by a hate of nugnr to where I pick any and all members outside of them and call them legitimate simply because Slash was in the band. I don't consider any of nugnr to be legitimate members(including Dizzy) as they are just a backing band. Axl is the only important member to the public in this version of the band.

And once a GNR reunion takes place, the reunion is certified as long as Axl, Slash and Duff are a part of it. And that's not to slight Izzy but I am also not deluded enough to think that the public would dismiss an Axl, Slash and Duff reunion as being GNR if Izzy or Gilby aren't there.

Also, I'm not deluded enough to think that Axl would totally cave in to the point where he tells Fortus to fuck off for Gilby. It isn't going to happen for you.

You are factually incorrect. Firstly, Gilby did not join the band until after Illusion was released. Gilby's tracks were recorded during the tour in various studios: Izzy's tracks were re-recorded and various extra songs were recorded inflating the EP to an album.

Secondly, If Gilby was 'never considered long term' why did Slash disagree with his sacking and why did Slash find himself (with Matt) writing for the future Guns album? If Gilby's band position was considered akin to ''Tracey and Roberta'', why are Tracey and Roberta not in the TSI sleeve alongside Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt and Dizzy? Gilby has his picture there!

The idea that he was ''never long term'' is something Axl pulled out of his arse in 1994 because he wanted Tobias in the group. Axl was probably already envisioning GN'R in 1994 as a group in which he could switch members around ad nauseam.

If you go back to that quote where Axl said Slash and Duff were capable but Steven/Izzy werent he also said you could get Illusion guys (So Matt and Gilby are those guys). I guess illusion guys are closer to a reunion.

Axl has a lot of options to do a "reunion". For Vegas opens up some options, for a world tour maybe Illusion guys. Then theres hybrid. That maybe work for a self titled record.

Depends how stubborn Slash is over Steven. Axl seems not give much of a fuck about Izzy or anyone causing him trouble. The money is for Slash and Duff and thats how most/media see a reunion.

I would lean more towards nothing happening. Then a hybrid. Then UYI line up. Then least likely AFD line up.