The DIY/Home Improvement Thread

Chris1989

Apparently 0 results for DIY in this forum. Bizzare, as I remember seeing some posters putting their home improvements on here.

Anyway, what are people doing or just completed?

I have a garage to water seal, paint and fit shelving in to.

Building an office in the 3rd bedroom (considering a single desk in the very middle on the room with computers back to back rather than alongside like a classroom)

Garden needs some general maintenance like painting fences.

Looking forward to getting stuck in - this will make a change as I normally only do mechanical work.

I'm hopeless. I gave up on it. But I would not ask a sweaty bloke with a builder's bum and a rolled-up copy of the Sun to write an essay on the Tudor Reformation, would I?

Interesting that you subscribe to the idea that people are either academic or manual. I don't believe in that. My family is a great example of being competent at both, including designers, engineers and nurses that can also build houses, restore cars and make clothes.

I've certainly got a lot to learn with DIY, but at the end of the day it's just learning a process.

• Like 1

I'm hopeless. I gave up on it. But I would not ask a sweaty bloke with a builder's bum and a rolled-up copy of the Sun to write an essay on the Tudor Reformation, would I?

Interesting that you subscribe to the idea that people are either academic or manual. I don't believe in that. My family is a great example of being competent at both, including designers, engineers and nurses that can also build houses, restore cars and make clothes.

I've certainly got a lot to learn with DIY, but at the end of the day it's just learning a process.

I wouldn't say that.

The problem with DIY is it is too much like hard work, proper sweat inducing manual labour and not merely sitting at your arse at a desk. I will do anything to avoid hard work.

I just hired a skip - I filled it in less than 2hrs. We have so much crap :facepalm:

I'm going to attempt to paint the hall and stairs in the next three days, it's 50/50 whether this will happen as planned.

I'm planning a new kitchen/utility, the quote came in this week at just over 15k which i'm having a minor wobble about. I know I could do it cheaper but this place will sort the entire lot for me in one go which really appeals - I don't suppose that is technically DIY though. :lol:

This is the last place I expected to find a DIY thread. Is there a knitting circle as well? :P

Only fitting, since Axl Rose pretty much resembles a fat ginger granny these days.

Most accidents occur inside the home, making DIY very dangerous. Guns N Roses, most dangerous band in the world. It fits.

"I'll do it myself" also happens to be Axl's most common response when presented with pies and cake.

• Like 2

Just knock it in dearie, wont be no bother.

But I hear I can't pound it in, I have to screw it.

Ugh, This is what men are for!

You'll need a drill, a pencil, a picture hook and a pack of screws and rawl plugs.

Get a pencil and mark where you want your picture to hang then drill into the wall about an inch. Push the rawl plug into the hole so it's flush with the wall (you may need to knock it in gently but don't try to hit it too hard to it will bend).

Line up your picture hook and screw it on, with the screw going into the plugged hole. Then just hang the picture on.

bingo your done just don't blame me if it's wonky :lol:

Edited by spunko12345